The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: jaydub on December 12, 2012, 05:50:55 am
-
Apropos of the detour in the TIG thread, I thought it would be interesting to see what images we would like to have for hanging on the wall.
We have to wear ID badges that double as security keys at my workplace. This image makes me smile
(http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/063/b/0/wear_your_badge__it_could_save_you_life__by_falloutposters-d4rr3qn.jpg)
It reminds me of Matthew Perry - and considering he voiced Benny in the game, maybe this is an Easter egg?
-
Here's the one I mentioned elsewhere. Can't find an embeddable image. Why does the movie industry not want to monetize this?
http://pinterest.com/pin/112801165638405503/ (http://pinterest.com/pin/112801165638405503/)
-
Oh, and here is a place to say that I lately bought this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oingo-Boingo-Original-Concert-Poster-Irvine-Meadows-/170464540169?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b07a7609 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oingo-Boingo-Original-Concert-Poster-Irvine-Meadows-/170464540169?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b07a7609)
to remind me of how I wasted my youth, or at least the 90s. It would be shame not to mention this so Ash can enjoy telling me that he was at these concerts.
-
sigh
At least there are bootleg videos on YouTube, at least the ones a person remembers to download before they get taken down.
There's another thread we could start: When they invent time travel, where's the first place you'll go?
-
There's another thread we could start: When they invent time travel, where's the first place you'll go?
Do we have to do the necessary shit, like kill Hitler or can we have some fun?
-
I think that unless you have some special skill that makes you the best person to kill Hitler, then you can just have some fun.
-
I ain't going anywhere past whenever it was good dental anesthetics became a thing.
-
I think that unless you have some special skill that makes you the best person to kill Hitler, then you can just have some fun.
Well yeah, my special skill is that I have a time machine. But would seeing the Beatles play in Hamburg be the same if Hitler never existed? Quandary.
-
I ain't going anywhere past whenever it was good dental anesthetics became a thing.
Just go back to the future whenever you need dental work.
-
Well yeah, my special skill is that I have a time machine. But would seeing the Beatles play in Hamburg be the same if Hitler never existed? Quandary.
Ash is probably a good enough shot to take Hitler out. Would you be, or would you just be wasting your time?
We could say everyone gets two trips: one to do a good deed and one for fun as a reward. Still, I think it has to be a good deed you can really do and this raises all kinds of questions. Can I say "I'd go back and save the thylacine from extinction" when I can't be sure I would be successful? Is that just a way to get to see some thylacines and then also see Oingo Boingo in concert?
-
Back on topic, this is my favorite poster from the Fallout games:
(http://cdn.bitrebels.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Futuristic-Fallout-Poster-Designs-1.jpg)
I would pay some amount of money to have that on my wall, yeah. Or a t-shirt -- which is really just a poster for your body.
As for the time machine question, I think I would prefer to skip the grand gesture for my good deed in favor of a Quantum Leap-style "put right what once went wrong" kind of deal. But that assumes you've got someone clueing you in on the Divine Plan, and with my credentials that doesn't seem terribly likely.
For a fun thing, I would love to go back and see Led Zeppelin in concert. But there are many more Historically Important Things I'd like to see and do. For instance, I'd like to go back to around 1954 to see Sputnik in orbit and tell Joe McCarthy he's an asshole. I'd like to tour the South with the freedom riders in the summer of '61. I'd like to be in Dallas on November 22, 1963 to see if there really was anybody hanging out in the grassy knoll. (I wouldn't prevent the assassination, though, because of the butterfly theory -- step on a butterfly in 1922 and come home to a horrible dystopian society where everyone you love never existed.) So ideally I'd like to go back to sometime in the early 1950s and live through to the present day, but without ever getting any older.
Would I prevent 9/11? That's a harder question. Closer to home. Would it destroy the universe if I let the terrorists attack but made sure the buildings were evacuated first?
-
See, this is why I think everyone just gets to go back and do something fun. You can't predict whether you're actually going to make things worse. But seeing a concert or going to the zoo with the last thylacine is pretty safe.
-
Is the fact that bad things happened in history and continue to happen proof that we will never invent time travel?
-
Is the fact that bad things happened in history and continue to happen proof that we will never invent time travel?
No - because people could have gone back and screwed things up worse! My point exactly!
PS sorry jaydub what I did to your poster thread.
-
Its TOUAMB. If I didn't expect near instantaneous thread wander I would have posted on FARK or something.
-
Ash is probably a good enough shot to take Hitler out. Would you be, or would you just be wasting your time?
To answer your question directly, yes, I am a good shot, but you are assuming I am going back to a time when Hitler is the Fuhrer. No, I would go back to when he was a child where I could just walk up and shank him. Or go even further back to before he was born and kill his mother. Easy as pie.
-
Is it ethical to murder someone before they commit a crime?
Also, if you killed hitler it would probably mess up the timeline enough that you would never be born, meaning you can't kill him.
-
I think it is ethical to murder baby Hitler but not his mother.
But more to the point, I think it is a better game to say what you would do for fun if you went back in time. Hitler takes no imagination, you know?
-
It's more ethical to go back and make Hitler a famous painter in kind of an ironic way with the elites of Europe, at least in terms of trying to prevent his rise to power.
But c'mon, either the butterfly effect saves millions of lives but erases you or World War Two happens again in the rich fields of fascism that were post-World-War-One Europe except the hate-monger who is left to lead it this time around is a more competent military leader and WINS. Or something.
My imagination processes 10,000 Twilight Zone ironic twists a second, you guys.
-
Right. So Paul, just go see the Beatles.
-
Are "aliens" just us from the future with time travel? We're the pyramids built by people in the future or an ancient, advanced civilization we have no record of (if you look at Easter island, pyramids and shit in Peru, yeah, the same people did all that shit, or at least it was all done the same way that we cannot currently do)? If you invent time travel you'd be smart enough to not fuck up the world right?
-
If you invent time travel you'd be smart enough to not fuck up the world right?
I think all you have to do is look around at where we have made the most progress and it's obvious that technology is easy, and not fuck*ng up the world is hard. But if you want to go back and build a big statue instead of seeing a concert, that's probably ok.
-
Hey, we're smart enough to go to Mars and give everyone full medical coverage but instead it's all shaming wands and One Direction these days.
So.
No. We would fuck the shit outta time travel.
-
re: hitler:
http://www.abyssapexzine.com/wikihistory/
i'd try to prevent 9/11 by going back to 1998 and inventing a scandal that prevents katharine harris from being elected as secretary of state for florida. snuff porn in her laptop or something puts a democrat in that seat, altering the catastrophic 2000 bush/gore election results process by enough to likely give the seat to gore, who wouldn't have been on vacation four months of the first eight in office. if gore could have prevented 9/11, he would have, and if not, we probably wouldn't have gone into iraq again, destroying the global goodwill toward the states; we might still be in afghanistan and we might not have elected our first black president, but hell who knows? the republican party might have completely imploded by now, and we might remain a bit more centrist a nation, rather than getting caught up in this ridiculous constant rightward overton window shift.
after which i'd go to woodstock, take some weed from there back to louis armstrong's youth and hang out with him in new orleans for a week, steal and stash his original coronet (and gift him a new trumpet), which i'd "unearth" a couple weeks before he dies and return it to him face to face, just to give him a "what in the how" moment.
then it might be fun to just skip forward a year or five once a day or five, to see how long it takes us to reach certain achievements: peace in africa, widespread adoption of wearable/embedded electronics, interplanetary travel, first contact, that kind of thing.
-
I think all you have to do is look around at where we have made the most progress and it's obvious that technology is easy, and not fuck*ng up the world is hard. But if you want to go back and build a big statue instead of seeing a concert, that's probably ok.
Oh and yeah, I'd just go back to the beginning of human kind to see how it went down and also build something really advanced/indestructible so people would wonder about it forever. Or maybe go back to Greece/Persian wars and somehow help Persians win. It would obviously fuck stuff up but I think I am out on western society so just fuck that shit up from the beginning. I guess the second one is my good deed and the first one is fer kicks.
-
i saw "Looper". hopefully time travel doesnt end up like that.
-
But more to the point, I think it is a better game to say what you would do for fun if you went back in time. Hitler takes no imagination, you know?
Well I did mention seeing the Beatles in Hamburg. There are a few other select concerts I'd like to attend of course. Then I'd like to go back maybe 80 years and just rent a car and go away for awhile. See what it's like to really get lost you know. These days there's no such thing as remote. You can't go anywhere that there's not already somebody there. I'd probably wind up getting eaten by a bear, but whatever. I just want to see what a virgin world looks like.
Edit: It's funny, I only chose to go back 80 years because I thought I would need a car to get away from things. I guess I could just go back 1000 years and stay right where I am. Ha ha...
-
I would go back to sometime between 1920 and 1969 and see how many girls in historical clothing i could have crushes on. I would set a damn world record for the number of stuck-up broads in fancy clothes that I was in love with. And oh man, the old accents, holy shit. mid-atlantic english crush is the hardest you can crush.
-
My first thought, honestly, was that I would like to go back and fuck Marilyn Monroe. Then I realized that's ridiculous. There are plenty of drop-dead gorgeous women around today and I'm not fuck*ng any of them, so I'm pretty sure I couldn't score with her. I don't have the special skill necessary to fuck whomever I want, as wombat might put it.
And then I was thinking about going back to prevent something bad. My main problem with that is there are too goddamn many bad things to prevent. Why does everyone always go with the holocaust? Was it really any worse than the Rwandan genocide? That's where my mind goes, and I get kinda bummed.
So fuck it, I'd either go back to 2001 or 2006 and fuck up a few people so the Mariners win the World Series or the Seahawks beat the Broncos in Super Bowl XL. Do I have any special skills for that? No, but I'd have a crowbar or a baseball bat and the element of surprise. I'd probably just kill Roethlisberger and prevent a rape or two as a bonus.
There are also some family members I'd really like to see again, but they'd be really freaked out. Not sure about that one.
-
I was actually thinking the other day, I wish someone had gone back in time and convinced REM "you're gonna make it big eventually, but please put out more songs that sound like Murmur before you get to the popular stuff." Goddamn that album is great.
I would also really like to go back and meet my dad as a young man. Or go back a little further and meet his dad, who I never met and don't know very much about.
In the course of thinking about this, I did the math, and figured out that my mom was born when her dad was the age I am now. Her mom was 19.
-
Immunizing North and South America pre-European contact is a fun idea sometimes, just completely changing the course of history. No idea which way that would go, probably wouldn't reduce the mean level of human suffering that much, but it'd be pretty interesting.
What I really need is a multiverse telescope.
-
Edit: It's funny, I only chose to go back 80 years because I thought I would need a car to get away from things.
I love this. So American. But you know, there's something to be said for wanting to experience a time that's just different enough for life to be still, like, recognizable. Going back to like 1521 might be so overwhelming it would just fry your brain, you might not be able to get much out of it.
I am sort of inclined to keep Choop away from the time machine. He worries me.
-
There are also some family members I'd really like to see again, but they'd be really freaked out. Not sure about that one.
Hmm, I think this should be against the rules. I think you can't go back to part of your own life. Too many complications. I mean, with all the time-travel fiction we have experienced, by the time we invent it, there are some obvious mistakes we should have figured out not to make.
-
Oh and yeah, I'd just go back to the beginning of human kind to see how it went down
We have fewer of these answers than I'd expect. Think of all the questions you could answer. When I used to play a lot of Renaissance music, I thought I'd go back and figure out the answer to the questions about how the musical notation was interpreted. But then I realized I didn't really have the skill and they should send an expert. It would also be interesting if you could figure out something about how language evolved, but it would be hard to know when to go to, there's basically an infintity of moments to choose from, and would only one of them tell you anything if you couldn't get more of the sequence?
So what with the possibility of screwing up history and the likelihood of not answering the question.... yeah, I'm sticking with the thylacine and Oingo Boingo.
-
Back to Jesus' time to see how it all went down, perhaps make some cryptic remarks, Marty mcFly-like, to incensed Romans watching the crucifixion: "I guess you guys aren't ready for that yet... But your grandgrandkids are gonna love it."
-
i'd try to prevent 9/11 by going back to 1998 and inventing a scandal that prevents katharine harris from being elected as secretary of state for florida. snuff porn in her laptop or something puts a democrat in that seat, altering the catastrophic 2000 bush/gore election results process by enough to likely give the seat to gore, who wouldn't have been on vacation four months of the first eight in office.
Alternatively you could kidnap Monica Lewinsky, or arrange for her to get a great job somewhere away from Washington, or otherwise prevent her from blowing Bill Clinton. Then Gore probably wins that election easily.
-
You know what time I don't want to go back to? Before computers. I'm trying to give my busted arm a rest by working on writing in a notebook with a pen. OMG this is unbearably tedious.
-
Alternatively you could kidnap Monica Lewinsky, or arrange for her to get a great job somewhere away from Washington, or otherwise prevent her from blowing Bill Clinton. Then Gore probably wins that election easily.
If she didn't blow him someone else would have.
-
You know what time I don't want to go back to? Before computers. I'm trying to give my busted arm a rest by working on writing in a notebook with a pen. OMG this is unbearably tedious.
Really? I LOVE writing with a pen on paper. And I have terrible handwriting -- I think the key is to make sure that you don't care whether it's actually legible. Because I write extremely quickly, and hardly anyone else can read it (though I can always read my own stuff after the fact, and Pedro has learned to decipher it as well).
-
Presumably the wrist you broke wasn't on your dominant side? Because writing off-handed is really tiring.
-
No, thank god, it is the left wrist I broke, but composing on paper sucks. I do a LOT of rewriting. I believe in the shitty first draft at every level. I write a sentence to see how it looks and almost immediately rewrite it. I'm having to use a totally different approach of writing a very rough draft that I know I will change when I eventually type it in and resisting the impulse to change it as I go along on paper. Basically I am having to write sentences and paragraphs which are merely an indication that "there will be a sentence/paragraph here and it will do roughly this job."
-
Assuming I have to stay there, I'm not going any place that doesn't have fairly capable dentistry.
-
You don't have to stay. That's a totally different game. Interesting everyone seems to care more about dentistry than, say, antibiotics?
-
I want this one. So steamy.
(http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_medbpdBQsP1repvaho1_500.jpg)
-
Funny you mention metacarpals, Ash, because I broke the second one (index) on my right hand about 6 weeks ago. Try working outside in -15 to -25° for hours at a time when you can't flex your fingers. Now that is a recipe for some mild frostbite. I'm going to assume you broke yours laying some dude out in a bar brawl rather than hitting a tree while skiing like I did.
-
Yeah it's a spiral fracture right in the middle. Since the bones were in a good place the ortho just put me in a splint so no hard cast. I can flex my fingers enough to grip a ski pole, but not enough to really get the blood flowing. I'm cleared for full duty this weekend so that is pretty exciting. It has been nothing but scanning tickets for what has felt like forever.