The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: AugustWest on August 19, 2013, 07:34:32 pm

Title: Fantasy football '13
Post by: AugustWest on August 19, 2013, 07:34:32 pm
Yea?  Nay?  Maybe?

It's about time to get a draft scheduled.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: jaydub on August 19, 2013, 09:38:04 pm
Count me in.  I have a daughter agitating for team this year as well.  I'll see if I can get my wife to co-captain it for her to avoid any suspicions of collusion.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Choop on August 19, 2013, 10:00:22 pm
if you need me to fill out your ranks with chattel, i'm around.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: miles on August 20, 2013, 02:40:45 am
Fuck yes.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: AugustWest on August 27, 2013, 12:45:19 pm
We've got seven players -- we need an even number to set the draft date.  Who's the holdout?
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Choop on August 27, 2013, 03:38:50 pm
afraid that might be me. my yahoo account got "recycled" and i can't create another one without giving them my cell phone number.

so, sorry fellas, but fuck yahoo. they're done with me? i'm done with them. sorry. good luck.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: jaydub on August 27, 2013, 05:09:00 pm
My 11 year old is petitioning hard to get a FF team.  I promise no collusion if you will accept her application, other than teaching her how to play and talking football in general with her.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: miles on August 28, 2013, 01:14:53 am
Oops. That was probably me. I don't really check email anymore. Fixed.

And I'm totally cool with Jaydub's kid joining up. But I think that means we'll need another team now.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: AugustWest on August 28, 2013, 04:50:23 am
My daughter wants to play too, so that gives us 10.  Jaydub, can you get your daughter sign up tomorrow, I'll do the same and we can get a draft scheduled.

Next topic -- Nabu doesn't like having two QB's.  I don't have a very strong opinion either way, but I do think that using two results in a scarcity of good replacement QBs if something happens to your first one.  If we just use one each, that'll be the top ten QB's in play, leaving another 5 or 6 decent ones if you have an injury or something.  If you use two per team, only the bottom 10 are left over.  Also, higher scoring which is flashy.

Thoughts? I am not tied to any particular set up.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 28, 2013, 01:22:36 pm
I like-a the one QB.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: jaydub on August 28, 2013, 02:37:45 pm
There didn't seem to be a way to join a private league from the main yahoo page.  Maybe you need to send her an invite? I'll pm you her email address.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on August 28, 2013, 03:27:09 pm
Yea?  Nay?  Maybe?

It's about time to get a draft scheduled.

Can we skip Fantasy football and do Magical Realism football this year instead? I'd like my team to ACTUALLY be the 49'ers, but I want them to cry tears during away games that bring back haunting memories of childhood friends and events from long ago. This will symbolize their longing for their childhood homes and preference for home games.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 28, 2013, 03:39:03 pm
Is there any room left?
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: AugustWest on August 28, 2013, 04:04:37 pm
Is there any room left?

Yes, but it puts us at an odd number.  Find one more player and you're both in.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: AugustWest on August 29, 2013, 03:13:33 pm
Yes, but it puts us at an odd number.  Find one more player and you're both in.

Got somebody.  Your invite is on the way.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 29, 2013, 04:05:38 pm
Thanks, I'm in.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: miles on September 02, 2013, 03:38:59 pm
Is it just me or do we still have an odd number of teams?
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: miles on September 02, 2013, 06:09:28 pm
Is it just me or are we not drafting right now?
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on September 02, 2013, 06:36:38 pm
Looks like draft is Wednesday @ 3
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: jaydub on September 02, 2013, 07:01:12 pm
If possible, I am in favor of moving it to tonight.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: miles on September 02, 2013, 07:04:46 pm
Agreed. Fantasy sports sites are blocked at work and data coverage can be spotty. But I'll work around it if tonight doesn't work.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: AugustWest on September 02, 2013, 07:33:37 pm
We are stuck at 11 at the moment.  I thought we had a 12th, and we still may.  I have sent the e-mail invite to him twice. 

If somebody else has a candidate, I'll send them an invite too and it's first come, first served as far as I'm concerned.

I just reset the draft for late on Wednesday to give us more time.  We can reschedule it for whenever we want.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: jaydub on September 03, 2013, 02:05:05 am
If we dont have head-to-head play, will an odd number work?
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: AugustWest on September 04, 2013, 01:42:42 pm
Agreed. Fantasy sports sites are blocked at work and data coverage can be spotty. But I'll work around it if tonight doesn't work.

Problem with moving it to tonight is that it'll be tough to get it late enough to satisfy you west-coasters.  I don't want to go much later than 9 on the east coast, which is just 6 for you guys.  But if 9 eastern 6 pacific is an improvement, let me know and I'll switch it.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: miles on September 04, 2013, 06:09:29 pm
Doesn't seem like anyone else is clamoring for it and having it in an hour gives me an excuse to get out of the office. I just hope the app doesn't give me any issues.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: AugustWest on September 04, 2013, 06:20:22 pm
It shall remain as is!
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 04, 2013, 06:31:13 pm
I may well be auto-drafting, as I've got a gazillion meetings this afternoon. Don't worry about me though, stick with the current time if it works for everyone else.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: AugustWest on September 04, 2013, 06:42:40 pm
ANOTHER CHANGE!!!

I can't logon to the draft application at work, and it seems my phone won't run the mobile app. 

DRAFT IS NOW 9pm EDT/ 6PM PDT.

Sorry.  I apparently can't organize a two car parade.


Nevermind.  Too late.

Guess I'll autodraft.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on September 04, 2013, 09:48:10 pm
I did absolutely terrible in the draft. Yahoo even felt it was imperative to send me a scorecard "D" to make sure I knew it. I look forward to canning most of my team.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: AugustWest on September 05, 2013, 03:25:35 am
I drafted two guys who'll be out most of the season.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: jaydub on September 05, 2013, 03:52:52 am
I ran into a network problem with my work computer, so I had to decide which team I would pick manually on my cell phone.  I had a draft order list that I gave to Yahoo for both my team and Kaitlin's.  She had specific players she wanted though, so I manually picked hers (I think Hard Knocks has had undue influence on her - The Fighting Incognitos are Bengals heavy). Yahoo autopicked off the list I gave it and gave itself a good grade, despite picking Eli Manning.  It was less enchanted with my work on Kaitlin's behalf, but that might be due to the Cincinnati players I was obligated to sign.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 05, 2013, 01:44:50 pm
I fully autodrafted, and it gave me a B grade.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: miles on September 05, 2013, 06:41:49 pm
I got a C which, yahoo informs me, stands for champion.

I should have done a practice draft on my phone. And paid more attention to my pre-draft rankings. It's much harder to do some quick research on the phone.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: AugustWest on September 06, 2013, 03:30:36 am
I fully autodrafted, and it gave me a B grade.

I autodrafted in another league I'm in and it gave me a C+.  It's like Yahoo is saying "Ha!  That's what you get for trusting me.  C+ asshole."  Then Yahoo dances around me in a witch's hat, cackling manically and chanting C+, C+, C+.  Just like Ralphie's teacher in A Christmas Story.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on September 06, 2013, 12:42:14 pm
Who is Lucy and how much does she love peyton manning right now?
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: AugustWest on September 06, 2013, 01:13:11 pm
Who is Lucy and how much does she love peyton manning right now?

Lucy is my 22 year old daughter, and though she has had a crush on Peyton for years, I'm sure she appreciates him even more today. 

Me too, because I have him in a different league.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 06, 2013, 01:59:05 pm
Yeah, I got up this morning, saw that on ESPN, and went "Oh crap I bet I'm facing him in the fantasy league."

Fortunately I am not. Ash is the lucky winner of that prize.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: jaydub on September 06, 2013, 04:53:53 pm
Jesus, a career day on the opening day of your 16th season.  First 7 touchdown performance by a QB since I was born.  And an interesting, articulate, and informative post-game interview, seasoned with an unapologetic Louisiana drawl.  I'm sure he's demanding to work with - I wonder what he said to Montee Ball after that botched run play in the 4th quarter. 
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: KeithHernandez on September 06, 2013, 07:16:47 pm
Wait is this thread about shitting on Manning?  Cause fuck that guy. 
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: pmcd9 on September 06, 2013, 08:08:34 pm
Wait is this thread about shitting on Manning?  Cause fuck that guy. 

That was a masterful performance. So much fun to watch. Peyton is DA MAN!!!
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 06, 2013, 08:42:46 pm
Just watched this for old times' sake (old times being January).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zce-QT7MGSE
Peyton must have had his potion last night.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: jaydub on September 19, 2013, 12:08:56 am
Holy smokes!  Trent Richardson went to Indy for a 1st round draft pick.  Le-porkin has some thinking to do about whether to start him vs. the Niners this week.  Although Yahoo still shows Richardson on Cleveland at this point - presumably they will get that sorted out by game day.
Its great news for the Colts since Ballard went down.  I don't see what the Browns are getting out of it, unless Richardson is locker room poison which I haven't heard anything about.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: KeithHernandez on September 19, 2013, 12:28:02 am
They are starting over, wanted to the whole time, but waited two games.  Going for number 1 pick next year and another pick in the top 15.  Too bad their owner is scum, though it seems like maybe just stealing from other rich people?  That makes him slightly better I guess?
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: KeithHernandez on September 19, 2013, 05:57:05 am
Thanks?  It would still be cool if they were good sometime soon.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on September 24, 2013, 07:11:15 pm
After this weekend either carlos or I will still be undefeated. I've got an unreasonably strong line of receivers but no one to throw them the ball. Maybe RGIII will choose this weekend to unfuck himself.   :-\
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 24, 2013, 08:09:13 pm
Unlike baseball, where I pretty much know what I'm doing, my football strategy is mostly "throw a bunch of guys out there and see what happens." I have no idea how I'm undefeated so far.

(I know my 5th-place regular season finish and sub-.500 record in baseball doesn't really look like "I pretty much know what I'm doing." But the strategy was "Be just good enough to make the playoffs, then knuckle down." If I'd paid as much attention during the regular season as I have during these playoffs, I'd have finished higher for sure.)
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 24, 2013, 09:18:59 pm
http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,6424.msg199155.html#msg199155
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: jaydub on September 24, 2013, 10:29:15 pm
My team is evidence that despite my attempts to educate myself, I have no fuck*ng idea what to do in fantasy football.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 29, 2013, 02:31:15 pm
Gotta love checking your team Sunday morning and discovering you need to replace your entire wide receiver corps.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: miles on September 29, 2013, 08:44:17 pm
Mother of fuck. Go Hawks!

On a sour note, I spent a half hour this morning debating whether to start Jennings or Alshon Jeffery. Felt good about both. Stuck with Jennings, which turned out to not be a terrible call. Never did it cross my mind to bench Nicks or Stevie Johnson for Jeffery. Jesus. There went at least 20 points I really needed.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: jaydub on September 30, 2013, 04:07:15 pm
I'm pretty sure Nicks can safely be benched or dropped without concern until the Giants figure out what they are doing.  If something good comes up on the waiver wire, I'm dropping Manning.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: pmcd9 on September 30, 2013, 08:59:38 pm
Did Manning get benched yesterday?
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: jaydub on October 01, 2013, 04:40:19 pm
Not in the real world.  Just on my fantasy team.  I put Flacco in instead, and while he wasn't very good, at least he didn't earn me negative points the way Manning has twice this year.  I don't think he is a bad quarterback; his offensive line cannot keep the defense off of him and his receivers aren't catching what is thrown to them - or at least preventing the defensive backs from intercepting the balls.  New York has no running game, so the defenses they are facing know the odds on any given play are for a pass which allows them to tee off on the QB and shut down the receivers.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on October 04, 2013, 11:41:31 am
Does anyone else think the new Yahoo! logo is a rip off of Revlon's logo? Also btw I'm kicking all of your asses.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 04, 2013, 01:58:12 pm
Yeah, only because I had to completely rebuild my wide receivers last week. (I also blame Santana Moss.)
And I had to do it again this week. yay

Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 07, 2013, 03:27:13 pm
I just got knocked out of my eliminator pool, apparently because Yahoo didn't register my selection. I swear I put in Atlanta. And in any event, that game hasn't happened yet, so I should STILL be able to pick Atlanta. But nooooooooooo. BOO TO THAT.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: jaydub on October 07, 2013, 05:00:57 pm
Likewise, somehow Yahoo failed to recognize that I had subbed Charles Clay in for Gronk.  In our league, it doesn't matter because it looks like Nabu was too busy to adjust his roster (or perhaps was glitched as well), but in another Yahoo league I am going to lose this week because I had the same Gronk/Clay sub going on.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 08, 2013, 01:56:56 pm
I just got knocked out of my eliminator pool, apparently because Yahoo didn't register my selection. I swear I put in Atlanta. And in any event, that game hasn't happened yet, so I should STILL be able to pick Atlanta. But nooooooooooo. BOO TO THAT.

Yeah, never mind.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: miles on October 08, 2013, 02:09:32 pm
Tony fuck*ng Romo. What an asshole.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on October 08, 2013, 02:12:33 pm
Tony fuck*ng Romo. What an asshole.
I think he's a great guy. Meanwhile the biggest contender to my undisputed reign is a little girl named Kaitlin.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: jaydub on October 08, 2013, 05:16:40 pm
I think he's a great guy. Meanwhile the biggest contender to my undisputed reign is a little girl named Kaitlin.
I'll warn you up front that she is not a graceful winner.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: KeithHernandez on October 09, 2013, 12:10:31 am
Yeah, never mind.

Speaking of...

They are starting over, wanted to the whole time, but waited two games.  Going for number 1 pick next year and another pick in the top 15.

To be fair, I think that was their idea?
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 10, 2013, 03:48:00 pm
The projected score (for the moment) for my matchup with AW this week is 147.25 - 146.77.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on October 10, 2013, 09:56:30 pm
Yeah I'm going to smash that little girl kaitlin as long as all of my players show up to the game. I will then be 6-0.

In other news, I volunteered to work at the super bowl with "guest assistance". Tickets are going for about $3500 and I'm going to be there for free telling people where the concessions stands are.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: jaydub on October 11, 2013, 03:24:27 am
I was struggling with whether to sit Eli this week.  Looks like I made the right call.  That team is going absolutely nowhere.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: pmcd9 on October 11, 2013, 04:12:53 am
Who has Peyton? That guy's blowing up!
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: jaydub on October 11, 2013, 04:31:06 am
Lucy has him.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: pmcd9 on October 15, 2013, 05:23:40 am
How about them Texans. The fans have gotten all defensive. They're all, we've got to rally around the team, boys. So much disappointment in the air.

I think this (https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1381423_342898275854124_1800533474_n.jpg) pretty much sums it up.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: miles on October 20, 2013, 11:54:05 pm
I was really pulling for Houston today, for Bum, but mostly because fuck Kansas City (I really like their QB and coach, but fuck the AFC West), and they came really close. That would have been a great tribute. Still, Case had a really impressive debut, and I imagine Houston fans are feeling good about such a strong effort in a very hostile environment against one of the best teams in the league.

Except, yikes, couple scary injuries. Hopefully nothing too bad.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: pmcd9 on October 21, 2013, 04:42:10 am
My boy Case really did well. He needs to do a better job of reading the defense though. Nice first start. I told people I would root for the Texans if Keanam was playing. Never thought it would actually happen though.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: jaydub on October 21, 2013, 04:24:42 pm
I am just hoping stat corrections don't screw me for the 3rd time this year.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: miles on October 21, 2013, 05:57:17 pm
I am just hoping stat corrections don't screw me for the 3rd time this year.

I lost one week because of corrections too. That kinda sucked.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: jaydub on October 21, 2013, 06:54:01 pm
Ash & Lucy squeaked past or I'd be 4-2 at this point, with the 3rd lowest Points-For.  My team has ended up being so much weaker than draft day predicted. 
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on October 27, 2013, 11:54:56 pm
THA SUGAH RAIN PAIN TRAIN will go 8-0 this week despite RGIII throwing up negative points. Next week my team is basically taking a bye and eggman will ruin my beautiful record.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 28, 2013, 01:20:06 pm
So I need a safety to put up 10 points. That could happen, right? One pick-six would just about do it.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: jaydub on October 28, 2013, 04:48:55 pm
Earl Thomas has put up 11, 9.5, 9.5, and 14 points over the last 4 weeks, so yes, it is certainly possible.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 28, 2013, 05:47:01 pm
The most awesome nail-biting Monday night football game I can remember for fantasy purposes was in my pre-TOUAMB league. I had a two-point lead going into Monday night, but my opponent had his kicker still available. So one field goal and it's over. Doomed, right? That team (I think it was the Titans) scored exactly one touchdown all night, so he only got one point for the XP and I ex-scaped with a win. And yes I watched MNF in its entirety that night.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on October 29, 2013, 12:02:42 pm
So I need a safety to put up 10 points. That could happen, right? One pick-six would just about do it.

You didn't get 10 points. You got 11.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: AugustWest on October 29, 2013, 12:41:45 pm
You didn't get 10 points. You got 11.

So you're saying this one goes to 11?
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 29, 2013, 01:38:04 pm
Precisely. Earl Thomas goes to 11. w00t
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: jaydub on October 29, 2013, 06:13:42 pm
I am thoroughly heartened at the Niners' prospects of beating Seattle at Candlestick.  Seattle's O-Line looks like it has major problems, and its a safe bet that if the game came down to 4 cracks at the goal line from 1 yard out, Gore & Co. would be up to the challenge.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 29, 2013, 07:22:56 pm
Earl Thomas can eat a bowl of dicks.

(http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0sujhZ24z1rrdywqo1_400.gif)

It seems I have become Ash's fantasy sports nemesis. I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: miles on November 04, 2013, 03:02:05 am
Man, if Schaub wasn't already out of a job, I imagine he is now. Keenum is fuck*ng impressive.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: pmcd9 on November 04, 2013, 04:53:28 am
He's been really good in the first half of both of his starts, but the defense starts to figure him out in the second half. He's got a ways to go. Definitely the Texans kicker is out of a job.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: miles on November 04, 2013, 05:49:20 am
Yeah, spoke a bit too soon. I feel like I jinxed him. Damn it!
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: miles on November 04, 2013, 05:54:35 am
Also, where the fuck did Nick Foles come from? I mean I know the Raiders are bad, but still. 7 TDs and no picks. Really impressive performance. Anybody here own him?

Ham Sammies... that's gotta hurt. You benched him in favor of Pryor. Not a bad call this morning probably, but ouch.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: jaydub on November 04, 2013, 05:37:08 pm
You ain't kidding.  Had I played him, I would actually have had a chance to beat the Muttoneers.  Sat Cameron Wake in favour of Adrian Clayborn as well (on the assumption that lots of Marshawn Lynch would provide lots of tackle opportunities).
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 04, 2013, 10:17:04 pm
Even with this kind of determination, he still fucked me out of a possible win.
https://vine.co/v/hjp7KU5H5n6
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 05, 2013, 02:25:40 pm

THA SUGAH RAIN: 122.26
8-1-0

Magreaux Dogs: 123.25


(http://www.voont.com/files/images/guide/avoid_fight/cry.jpg)
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: AugustWest on November 05, 2013, 03:20:34 pm
THA SUGAH RAIN: 122.26
8-1-0

Magreaux Dogs: 123.25


(http://www.voont.com/files/images/guide/avoid_fight/cry.jpg)

Muttoneers gave me shit all weekend because I didn't replace Karlos Dansby.  I told him I had faith that I could win without him. And I did, by .99, baby!  What was the spread, anyway?
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: jaydub on November 05, 2013, 06:16:45 pm
The deal is not sealed till Thursday when stat corrections are applied.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: miles on November 05, 2013, 07:17:02 pm
Just like my Seahawks I pull off an improbable late comeback against a team I was favored to beat pretty soundly.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 12, 2013, 08:20:35 pm
As of last night I was the 80% favorite to win this week's matchup. Then 62% of my team decided to put up less than 50% of their anticipated points and I am now the 100% loser.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 12, 2013, 09:04:57 pm
As of last night I was the 80% favorite to win this week's matchup. Then 62% of my team decided to put up less than 50% of their anticipated points and I am now the 100% loser.

And 100% tied for first place.

(Of course, winning first place in the regular season has no correlation to success in the playoffs, as we've seen time and again.)
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: miles on November 13, 2013, 04:01:18 am
Yeah, tell me about it. The first solid year I have in fantasy  baseball I end the regular season in first place and fuck up the playoffs.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: AugustWest on November 13, 2013, 02:16:47 pm
Yeah, tell me about it. The first solid year I have in fantasy  baseball I end the regular season in first place and fuck up the playoffs.

Yeah, that's a shame.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: jaydub on November 13, 2013, 05:23:14 pm
Someday I hope to recapture the glory year of 2010 when the Habaņeros finished 2nd.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 13, 2013, 08:14:29 pm
Me at fantasy football:

(http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100523172402/peanuts/images/a/a0/1107charlie_brown_lucy_football.jpg)

Dude, you've won our league twice. Cry me a river.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 18, 2013, 02:44:03 pm
VONTAAAAAAAAAZE BURFIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICT

(If he does not shout his own name Leeroy Jenkins-style every time he makes a big play, he's not taking full advantage.)
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: miles on November 19, 2013, 04:36:46 am
Thank god, that was close.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: jaydub on November 19, 2013, 07:01:44 pm
Jacksonville suddenly discovering how to play run defense, and the KC D being mortal against Manning made me come up short.  Gronk did what I needed him to - although that last play of the game would have put me over the top had he been able to make the catch.  Actually, that play sunk me in 2 leagues - this one and in another where my opponent had the Carolina D and won by 1.5 points (2 points for the interception).
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: jaydub on November 19, 2013, 08:16:02 pm
I suspect the only people who like Belichick are Pats fans.  Although among them are those who still feel the sting of betrayal from Belichick throwing Bledsoe out in favour of shiny Tom Terrific.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 20, 2013, 01:14:38 am
Following the games this weekend was fun because even with 4 players still in the game, yahoo fantasty sports called me the 100% favorite to win. Yahoo fantasy sports told asherdan that not even an act of god could save his team.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 26, 2013, 02:20:17 pm
Three weeks to go in the regular season. No playoff spots clinched yet, but Tha Sugah Rain and Banana Town will each do so with one more win.
Owensboro and Magreaux Dogs currently sitting 3 and 4, MJW one game behind them, and the Monkeys and Incognitos two games out.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 26, 2013, 06:18:56 pm
I'm going to abandon my current approach and start gearing for the playoffs. I want a really good game at the superbowl, because like I said, I will be there as staff.
The pre-organizational meeting was full of people who found the link to the Welcoming Committee on facebutt and so I was 'elected' some kind of leader. Lord knows ACAP loves nothing more than herding a bunch of cats.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: jaydub on December 02, 2013, 09:48:08 pm
(http://imageshack.com/a/img833/5709/2kpe.jpg)
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 02, 2013, 10:18:53 pm
Haha. As flawed as the idiot who put it together, evidently.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 03, 2013, 02:35:05 pm
Let's review week 13.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: miles on December 03, 2013, 02:57:42 pm
Let's review week 13.
  • Sugah Rain and Banana Town both lose, so still no playoff spots clinched.
  • Big win for Magreaux Dogs to go to 9-4 and take sole possession of third place.
  • MJW also gets a big win. Owensboro loses. They're tied at 8-5. MJW currently holds the tiebreaker (total points scored) so they're #4 at the moment. Owensboro has tha Sugah Rain this week so that's a big match-up.
  • Lygars were eliminated from playoff contention with their loss. Incognitos and Monkeys holding on hope at 7-6.

My dumb superstitious attitude toward sports came through in a big way. I benched Brees in favor of Wilson, I think for only the second time this year, because I thought it would be bad luck to start Brees. Not only did it end up not hurting me, it gave me the total point tiebreaker.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 03, 2013, 03:28:38 pm
Brees vs. Wilson is a hell of a good problem to have. I've got Matt Ryan and Philip Rivers, and considering how often they've both sucked this year I'm astonished my record is as good as it is.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: jaydub on December 03, 2013, 05:11:12 pm
  • Lygars were eliminated from playoff contention with their loss. Incognitos and Monkeys holding on hope at 7-6.
Kaitlin grasped this implication immediately this morning.  On top of observing that my team is an also-ran.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: pmcd9 on December 03, 2013, 09:48:06 pm
This one (http://youtu.be/kxv4hOpbFEQ) comes in courtesy of our long lost friend AlohaDawg.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 10, 2013, 01:47:07 pm
Week 14!

Good luck everybody!
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 17, 2013, 12:07:45 am
BABY IM BACK
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 17, 2013, 02:36:34 pm
And the regular season endeth like so:

Semi-final matchups:
(1) Magreaux Dogs (AW) vs. (4) Malcolm Jamal Warner (Miles)
(2) THA SUGAH RAIN (A-Cap) vs. (3) Banana Town Beers (Carlos)

This is, I think, as evenly matched a playoff field as we've ever had. I have no freakin' idea who's going to win this thing. Good luck everybody.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: AugustWest on December 17, 2013, 02:58:43 pm
BABY IM BACK

IN SECOND.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: jaydub on December 17, 2013, 06:57:17 pm
  • But what's this?! Magreaux dogs put up 217 points to also get to 11-4 and vault both TSR and Banana Town to take the #1 seed. Everyone feel bad for Ham Sammiches, who had the second-highest score in the league this week, and lost.
**head explodes**
F'in Jamaal Charles.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: miles on December 17, 2013, 07:29:41 pm
I remember him getting taken in the draft right before I was going to select him. Probably didn't actually happen that way, but that's how I remember it.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 18, 2013, 08:22:07 pm
Jeez, glad I watched SportsCenter this morning, as the Saints just released their (my) kicker.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 23, 2013, 02:32:47 pm
Semi-final point differentials and remaining players going into Monday night:

Magreaux Dogs +10: Frank Gore (RB-SF)
MJW: Michael Crabtree (WR-SF)

Banana Town +29: Steven Jackson (RB-ATL)
Sugah Rain: SF Defense

ANYTHING COULD HAPPEN
(at zombo.com)
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: miles on December 24, 2013, 01:47:56 am
Because MD started the AZ defense and I started Russell Wilson, that fuckin' bullshit interception hurt me twice as bad.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 24, 2013, 02:32:59 pm
Semi-final results:
Banana Town 147, Tha Sugah Rain 121. WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?!?
Magreaux Dogs 139, MJW 126. This was real close for a while last night when Crabtree caught a few passes, but then Gore scored a TD and it was pretty much over.

So we get a rematch of the baseball final, yours truly vs. AW. Or if you will, "So, Egg Man, we meet again, but this time the advantage is MINE!"
note: I have no particular advantage

MJW vs. TSR for third place. And for whatever reason, it's amid the chaos and uncertainty of the last week of the NFL regular season. There's enough teams that still have something to play for that hopefully nothing too weird happens. Good luck all!
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 24, 2013, 05:45:17 pm
Semi-final results:
Banana Town 147, Tha Sugah Rain 121. WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?!?]

Gone.
Literally gone. I dumped that whole program. My bonus will comfort the pain, but the social media model is gone forever.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: JorgeFabregas on December 29, 2013, 05:14:05 am
Gone.
Literally gone. I dumped that whole program. My bonus will comfort the pain, but the social media model is gone forever.
What the devil is the social media model of fantasy football? Do you track the habits of players on twitter to estimate their readiness and fitness? Do you crowd source your roster decisions?
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: jaydub on December 29, 2013, 06:58:47 pm
From what I gather, it was more of the latter.  I think it helped him draft too.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 29, 2013, 11:13:59 pm
What the devil is the social media model of fantasy football? Do you track the habits of players on twitter to estimate their readiness and fitness? Do you crowd source your roster decisions?
I tried to adapt a program that searches for keywords. Stocktwits, CNBC, a few bots that monitor bloomberg channels, and some other message boards provide the inputs for that. There are a hundred different message boards and tweeters talking about their fantasy roster I can draw from. But just like with the original program you have to make a judgement call. Too many people talking about  RGIII fucked my data.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 30, 2013, 01:52:07 pm
Congrats to AW, who wins the football champeenship 154-115, and achieves the double by winning the football and baseball leagues in the same year.
Second place is the best ever finish for Banana Town.
A-Cap takes third over Miles 106-100. Third time in the top three for A-Cap, but no titles.

Good season y'all.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: AugustWest on December 30, 2013, 02:39:16 pm
Sorry about that Marv Levy, uh, Mr. Mayor.

Good season, everybody.  Just a couple months til baseball starts back up!
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 30, 2013, 07:00:41 pm
Sorry about that Marv Levy, uh, Mr. Mayor.

(http://images.kaneva.com/filestore2/3341302/3904492/HomerUChokingUBart_ad.jpg)
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 20, 2014, 04:45:59 pm
Yeah, I liked Posnanski's take on it too. I kind of raised an eyebrow at Sherman's rant last night, but I'm not going to take it too seriously or demand that he live up to some mythical standard. I find it curious that we always complain about how inane post-game interviews are, and then when there's one that's actually somehow interesting, we find fault with it.
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: miles on January 20, 2014, 08:52:31 pm
Don't get me started on the Sherman hate. This is what I posted:

Quote
Also, it's football, folks. Grown men in tights chasing millions of dollars and a weirdly shaped ball around a field, and everyone involved taking it WAY too seriously. What do you expect? Don't expect diplomacy. Not everyone is Russell Wilson
Title: Re: Fantasy football '13
Post by: miles on January 20, 2014, 09:32:20 pm
Also, that article is brilliant. Someone on this board turned me on to Posnanski a few years ago and I thank you again.