The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: jough on April 23, 2014, 03:40:35 pm

Title: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: jough on April 23, 2014, 03:40:35 pm
Hey kids,

The server that currently hosts this site is dying and expensive to run. I'm moving it to a VPS on the evening of Monday, 28 April. I expect the site to be completely down while this is happening, although I won't transfer the DNS and database until just before it should be ready to roll.

I'll update this topic when the work is about to happen, although of course by that time you won't be able to read it.
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: wombat on April 23, 2014, 04:11:59 pm
This is terrifying. Is there an appropriate deity to supplicate to ensure the success of this move?

Seriously though thanks for keeping us alive.
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: jough on April 23, 2014, 04:24:00 pm
Well, I do have an Amazon wishlist and my birthday IS on Saturday, so...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/2BIGZX73EUPWO
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: AugustWest on April 23, 2014, 05:43:48 pm
Well, I do have an Amazon wishlist and my birthday IS on Saturday, so...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/2BIGZX73EUPWO

Needs a ship to address on there, daddy-o.
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: wombat on April 23, 2014, 05:45:12 pm
You want an ocarina?
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: pmcd9 on April 23, 2014, 06:09:13 pm
You want an ocarina?

Jough works in mysterious ways.
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: jough on April 23, 2014, 08:44:32 pm
Needs a ship to address on there, daddy-o.

Oops. Fixed. But I was (mostly) joking about the Wishlist thing.

Anyway, hopefully I won't break the boards on Monday.
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: side_show on April 24, 2014, 12:17:36 am
You want an ocarina?

Hubby once got an ocarina for a kid we where going to be spending Christmas with, he we a pretty impish kid to begin with, but he was disappointed with getting a weird flute thing, though he was as polite as a disappointed kid can be about such a thing.  But then later, he ran into the room my hubby and I were in, put it to his mouth went "toot, toot, toot" then farted hard and loud and ran back out. 
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: theinevitable on April 24, 2014, 03:02:31 am
regretting getting rid of all your vinyl, huh?
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: jough on April 24, 2014, 03:08:46 am
Vinyl is fun. I actually bought my wife a record player last year and then got into vinyl collecting again myself. Plus, you know, I'm a fuck*ng hipster.
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: greenkoolayd on April 24, 2014, 04:26:28 am
fuck*ng hipster.

you mean like, youre into pube dreads?
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: nDed on April 26, 2014, 06:23:06 pm
Oh God damn it, now I know there's a translucent blue vinyl pressing of the TRON soundtrack.
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: jough on April 29, 2014, 04:01:56 pm
This is going to happen tonight instead, as travels kept me away longer than expected yesterday and setting up the site was slower than expected.

Game plan is:

* Put Touamb in "maintenance mode"
* dump/restore the database
* remove maintenance mode on the new server
* switch DNS over to the new server
* profit

Just kidding. There's no profit. Anyway, with the new setup I should be able to ignore the board for many years to come, and future migrations should be faster if needed due to modern things like ansible and cloud whatever and blah blah blah.


Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: jough on April 29, 2014, 09:02:54 pm
Do people even use this thing anymore?

Should I even bother?

I'm fine with footing the bill since it's not much of a bill, and what I mean by "ignore the board" is just that - I need it to just run without me having to babysit it regularly, especially since I now have two actual babies to take care of.
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 29, 2014, 09:06:10 pm
There's like 8 of us?  This is literally the only place on the internet I go regularly any more, so I like it? 

It runs in and runs out, ya know.
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: wombat on April 29, 2014, 09:07:14 pm
Do people even use this thing anymore?

YES. Please don't make us have to use Facebook.
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: jough on April 29, 2014, 09:14:05 pm
Fair enough.

If I can get this party started soon, then, I'm going to (in case something goes wrong - this current server will be shut off tomorrow sometime so there's nothing like the last minute...).
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: jough on April 30, 2014, 03:23:12 am
So that sucked. But we're back up now. I was hoping to "just" convert the database to PostgreSQL, but alas, I ended up giving up and installing MySQL on the new box.

Let me know if you encounter any issues.

At some point I should upgrade us to a more recent version of SMF too.
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: pmcd9 on April 30, 2014, 04:21:50 am
At some point I should upgrade us to a more recent version of SMF too.

Would an upgrade make the board responsive on mobile devices?
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: jough on April 30, 2014, 11:55:21 am
Would an upgrade make the board responsive on mobile devices?

Probably?
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: wombat on April 30, 2014, 12:34:47 pm
WE LIVE!

Thank you.
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: wombat on April 30, 2014, 12:44:53 pm
Huh. I can't get to the board on Firefox, I keep getting the message about the old server. I cleared the cache, isn't that what you're supposed to do? I'm having to use stupid Chrome.
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 30, 2014, 02:18:06 pm
I'm fine with footing the bill since it's not much of a bill

You need people to chip in? The "Tip Jar" link up there is broke.
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: AugustWest on April 30, 2014, 02:34:38 pm
You need people to chip in? The "Tip Jar" link up there is broke.

Yeah, this.  There's only a few of us anachronisms left, but we're faithful.  We are grateful for your attention, El Guapo, and I'm sure we'd be glad to cover your costs if you'll let us know what they are.

As for the day to day, I wouldn't expect things to change much unless you've been dissatisfied with the current administration.
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: jough on May 01, 2014, 01:01:37 am
Tip Jar is just my Amazon wishlist, although I guess I need to put some smaller denomination items on it.

I'll be testing the latest SMF upgrade sometime this weekend. Should be fine.
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: pmcd9 on May 01, 2014, 03:04:05 am
The board displays slightly differently than it did before. Geez, you just start getting used to something and they go and change it up. Thanks Facebook!
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: jaydub on May 01, 2014, 08:08:15 pm
That is some finely tuned layout observation skills you've got there Paul.  I guess it looks like the margins around the posts are a little bigger?  What else did you see?
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: wombat on May 01, 2014, 08:45:45 pm
I see several little differences, like some avatars have scroll bars next to them. On the other hand, I'm also using a different browser because I can't get Firefox to show me the new board even with repeatedly clearing the cache. so that could account for some of the differences. I hope we don't lose anyone permanently for having the same problem and thinking the board never resurrected.
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: theinevitable on May 01, 2014, 11:53:16 pm
yeah, it definitely looks different but I can't put my finger on it.
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: CortJstr on May 02, 2014, 02:17:05 pm
I'm seeing "add poll" as a link instead of a button now. The spacing is vaguely different in a hard to pin-down way. The "Author" and who's viewing list at the top seems new.
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: Choop on May 02, 2014, 02:23:24 pm
i'm seeing "add poll" as a broken image, not a link. the rest of the differences are minor enough to ignore (like bolding and background color on pinned topics)
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: jough on May 03, 2014, 03:44:58 pm
I haven't actually upgraded the software yet, guys. Everything's exactly as it was before.

But you know, when you run the software on a new server everything kinda gets a different perspective, doesn't it?
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: jay-ell on May 04, 2014, 09:03:47 pm
There are definitely a few small differences. The border spacing on the main page is a little different, but I can't quite put my finger on whether it's bigger or smaller. It's just...different.
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: AugustWest on May 05, 2014, 05:20:05 pm
Yeah, it absolutely shows up a little different since the migrate, but that could be because some appearance setting defaulted or something.
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: wombat on May 05, 2014, 08:22:54 pm
Is it just me or has the spellcheck function disappeared for everyone?
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: jaydub on May 06, 2014, 12:12:24 am
Seems to be working for me - mispell gets a wiggly red line under it.  Firefox 28 on Win7.
In a related note, FF is telling me v29 is available.  Whee
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: wombat on May 06, 2014, 02:03:46 am
Whoa. So was it only me who used to have to hit a separate Spellcheck button?
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: Choop on May 06, 2014, 02:30:40 am
i remember seeing a button before the upgrade on the reply page. i've just always used the built-in browser spellcheck with the red squigglies. i don't think i ever clicked it.

what browser are you using, wombat? i'm on chrome 34
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: wombat on May 06, 2014, 12:01:57 pm
Yeah well that's the other thing, I am also on a different browser. I am using Chrome now because Firefox won't let me see the new board even after I cleaned the cache. the Tech Staff says I have to restart the browser but I am in the middle of a half dozen things so it's not a good time.
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: jough on May 18, 2014, 03:50:49 am
So some minor server update totally borked the forum, so... I just said "fuck it, I don't have time for this shit" and upgraded the forum to the latest SMF software. I'm sure there are some theme customizations that didn't make it. I'll deal with those tomorrow or Monday.
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: wombat on May 18, 2014, 02:35:10 pm
Thank you again.

Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: pmcd9 on May 20, 2014, 06:12:52 am
Praise the lord! The board is back!!!
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: ianmalcolm2 on May 20, 2014, 01:11:57 pm
Things be lookin all early-2K swag
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 20, 2014, 01:37:16 pm
I can chew my food again! Thanks Jough!
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: jaydub on May 20, 2014, 03:56:26 pm
Holy smokes.  Now things really look different.  Not in a bad way.
#####, *****s, c*ck, giraffe, Somebody nice.

Looks like the filters are intact.
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: wombat on May 20, 2014, 04:49:18 pm
Entirely different is less disturbing than lots of tiny differences some of which you can't quite put your finger on.
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: Turbo Ninja on May 20, 2014, 05:24:58 pm
Entirely different is less disturbing than lots of tiny differences some of which you can't quite put your finger on.

I can put my finger on ALL of them because I'm using an iPad!  Pinch and swipe, y'all!
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: pmcd9 on May 21, 2014, 04:56:57 pm
I hate that the logo graphic no longer links to the /index. I been clicking on Ray's face for a decade so that habit is gonna die hard.

It also doesn't fit the background color any longer.
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: nDed on May 26, 2014, 06:34:08 pm
Here's the logo with one of those fancy transparency channels the kids are so crazy about.

(http://i.imgur.com/6jo5aMF.png) (http://imgur.com/6jo5aMF)
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: wombat on May 26, 2014, 08:49:17 pm
I can find the place where you put in the URL the logo image but I can't find a place to upload a new image. Maybe only Jough can do that.
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: pmcd9 on May 26, 2014, 10:15:47 pm
You can put the image anywhere, it doesn't have to be on Jough's server. Upload it to Flickr.
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: wombat on May 26, 2014, 10:27:12 pm
I thought Flickr didn't let you embed images like that.
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: jay-ell on May 26, 2014, 10:49:27 pm
Then use imageshack or somesuch. There's one that doesn't require you to have an account.
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: wombat on May 26, 2014, 11:01:38 pm
If someone else cares enough to upload it somewhere and send me the link I will try to replace it.
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: pmcd9 on May 27, 2014, 12:28:34 am
I thought Flickr didn't let you embed images like that.

I have never had a problem with it and I use flickr for that purpose frequently.
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: wombat on May 27, 2014, 12:59:43 am
I wonder if I could change that banner to white instead so the logo would match again.
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: wombat on May 27, 2014, 01:02:22 am
Ugh, no I can't. I'm not going to try modifying any stylesheets, I might take the whole place down in flames.
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: pmcd9 on May 27, 2014, 03:18:54 am
LOL!
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: pmcd9 on May 27, 2014, 03:38:16 am
(https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3669/14256834526_d20f1ff25b_o.png)

Here you go Wombat, slide this one in there.  The url is 'https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3669/14256834526_d20f1ff25b_o.
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: wombat on May 27, 2014, 03:44:46 pm
That link gives me an error message that the photo is unavailable. When I look at your post with the edit function the link to the embedded photo, which works, is different. This isn't exactly giving me more confidence about messing with this.
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: nDed on May 27, 2014, 04:21:12 pm
That's because he forgot to put the file extension in his link.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3669/14256834526_d20f1ff25b_o.png

Also, take note of the url of the original logo, just in case things go tits up.

http://touamb.com/Themes/default/images/achewood.gif

Is Jough the only person with direct FTP access to the server?
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: wombat on May 27, 2014, 04:58:52 pm
Thank you. I was trying to think of a place to put the original link where I could find it again. The obvious solution of leaving it here did not occur to me.

I don't know about anyone else (Aug? JL?) but Jough has never told me how to FTP the server.
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: wombat on May 27, 2014, 05:00:23 pm
How's that? Is anything on fire anywhere?
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: pmcd9 on May 27, 2014, 05:18:06 pm
Much better. Thanks Wombat. Thanks Dead Ned.
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: AugustWest on May 27, 2014, 05:39:19 pm
WOOOO!
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: jaydub on May 27, 2014, 05:57:27 pm
Is the news box gone, or have I just banished it from my view somehow?
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: wombat on May 27, 2014, 06:06:17 pm
It's not a box anymore. It's a line under your profile photo etc at the top of the page.
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: nDed on May 27, 2014, 08:49:30 pm
Good teamwork.
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: jaydub on May 27, 2014, 11:38:34 pm
Ah, so 'tis.

p.s. I now know Bobby Flay is a celebrity chef.  Given Onstad's interests, I am unsurprised.
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: JorgeFabregas on June 29, 2014, 05:21:39 am
I looked up the pronunciation for postgresql the other day and there was a thread that concluded with Jough laying the smack down the way only G.O.D. can.
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: JorgeFabregas on June 29, 2014, 05:22:26 am
The thread was more than 10 years old, for the record.
Title: Re: Moving Servers - Planned Downtime evening of Monday, April 28th
Post by: pmcd9 on June 29, 2014, 05:18:01 pm
That's going deep!