The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Arachno-capitalist on April 26, 2014, 06:22:51 am

Title: Hi-Fi Bullshit
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on April 26, 2014, 06:22:51 am
I travel too much but my main Hi-Fi nerdy sound system is at home while I'm here is incredible. Anyone who says you can't hear the difference is either insane or hasn't heard the difference. Anyone care to opine?
[looks to nabu]
Title: Re: Hi-Fi Bullshit
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 26, 2014, 09:15:07 am
You can hear the difference.
Title: Re: Hi-Fi Bullshit
Post by: wombat on April 26, 2014, 12:27:43 pm
I'll bet you can but... man, I don't need one more thing to be dissatisfied and fussy about in my life, you know?
Title: Re: Hi-Fi Bullshit
Post by: Choop on April 26, 2014, 04:07:14 pm
i refuse to engage with audiophiles because of keith, so
Title: Re: Hi-Fi Bullshit
Post by: pmcd9 on April 26, 2014, 11:14:10 pm
i refuse to engage with audiophiles because of keith, so

Well you know, some people are hi fi snobs and other people are bell pepper snobs. Whatever, I gave you a can anyway.
Title: Re: Hi-Fi Bullshit
Post by: wombat on April 26, 2014, 11:41:46 pm
Don't forget the sushi snobs and the tomato snobs!
Title: Re: Hi-Fi Bullshit
Post by: pmcd9 on April 26, 2014, 11:49:47 pm
Don't forget the sushi snobs and the tomato snobs!

And on and on and on...
Title: Re: Hi-Fi Bullshit
Post by: nDed on April 27, 2014, 01:08:35 am
Equipment matters, up to a point. Still, a lot of the purportedly high-end stuff just seems like witchcraft to me.

I suppose everyone has a pet concern about which having a conversation would be insufferable for the other less interested party. This is partly why I no longer comment on how other people set up their television sets.
Title: Re: Hi-Fi Bullshit
Post by: jaydub on April 27, 2014, 03:56:24 am
I hear Monster cables really bring the high def to audio systems.
Title: Re: Hi-Fi Bullshit
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on April 27, 2014, 07:09:31 am
getcher self a good (enuff) ass pair of cans and rock out with your cock out almost everywhere.

financials and payroll shit got so much better the last coupla years when I can do it to a Slayer soundtrack.

Yeah I don't give a fuck what the host is playing,
"You're bass is dropping out at such-and-such hz and why is your tweeter in neverland?" No. We're here to talk and drink and enjoy ourselves.

When I'm home I like music and I spent a day figuring out the best spot where my cat, gf, and I just chill and listen to music. The experience is the same no matter what system I've got, but once you've heard a good one, everything else will just bug the fuck out of you.
It is like looking at bad grammar.


Edit: And with that said: i've got enough bass here to break windows so when people borrow it I have a switch in the closet that kills all but one.
Title: Re: Hi-Fi Bullshit
Post by: AugustWest on April 28, 2014, 01:12:38 am
I'll bet you can but... man, I don't need one more thing to be dissatisfied and fussy about in my life, you know?

Yeah, this.  I am already sufficiently pissy.
Title: Re: Hi-Fi Bullshit
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 28, 2014, 09:46:22 am
Also, yeah, I don't give a fuck about this?  Sorry choop.  I give hella fucks about the amp/pedals I use, but not really this.

I do have a pretty sick sound system tho.
Title: Re: Hi-Fi Bullshit
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 28, 2014, 01:21:10 pm
The difference between a good system and a shitty system is far greater than the difference between a great system and a good system, IMO.

I have a couple of those Sonos wireless speakers now and I love the bejeezus out of them. The sound is fine, but the ability to stream all my MP3s, and Amazon Cloud Player, and radio stations from anywhere, and content from music blogs, well that's all good.
Title: Re: Hi-Fi Bullshit
Post by: AugustWest on April 28, 2014, 01:47:50 pm
In many things (I've gone through it with optics) getting the first 95% is easy but that last 5% costs you.

Deal is, how much does that last 5% mean to YOU.

Seems like a lot of the time what that 5% costs could get you 95% of something else.  But if you want the 5%, you want the 5%.
Title: Re: Hi-Fi Bullshit
Post by: CortJstr on May 01, 2014, 02:36:07 pm
The difference between a good system and a shitty system is far greater than the difference between a great system and a good system, IMO.

I have a couple of those Sonos wireless speakers now and I love the bejeezus out of them. The sound is fine, but the ability to stream all my MP3s, and Amazon Cloud Player, and radio stations from anywhere, and content from music blogs, well that's all good.

We're doing that but Bose instead of Sonos. The Lady hated my big 90s system with 4' front speakers etc and we could get a Bose with built-in AirPlay for free from Amex points. So we replaced a thing that took up the whole corner with a shelf unit that works for playing mp3s at a party which is 90% of our in-home music listening. And this way we can throw another one in the back room and have them sync up.

I was at Record Store Day and the dude in front of me was talking about his headphones and home system where he claimed he could hear where the individual members of his favorite band were standing in relation to each other.
Title: Re: Hi-Fi Bullshit
Post by: jaydub on May 01, 2014, 08:06:19 pm
Clearly he doesn't understand recording tracks.
Title: Re: Hi-Fi Bullshit
Post by: wombat on May 01, 2014, 08:52:09 pm
Even if that is possible I'm not sure how it would enhance my enjoyment of music.
Title: Re: Hi-Fi Bullshit
Post by: pmcd9 on May 01, 2014, 09:57:38 pm
Even if that is possible I'm not sure how it would enhance my enjoyment of music.

It's not and it won't.