Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Metallica would be a lot less powerful if they ended every show by reciting the ABCs.

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - skloot

Pages: [1]
1
History / Re: Election Thread
« on: November 04, 2008, 07:46:18 pm »
Here in Oregon it's all mail-in. I voted three days ago, wearing a bath robe.

Although I suppose one could do that in other states as well...

2
Achewood / Re: Achewood themed bike of dubious quality
« on: November 04, 2008, 07:34:01 pm »
That is a serious bike.  Welcome to the board.
Thanks, board-Jesus!  :D



...And as I predicted, the paint is already chipping off in small areas on the top tube, and the rainy weather here in the frigid land of Oregon has covered most of the pristine whiteness with splattery black muck. I'm glad I took pictures before I started riding it :p
I am already considering doing a future version of this, with vinyl stickers or something similar, on a real life powder-coated frame. Also not building the thing out of 25 year old parts that feel like they are cast iron would be a good idea.

edit: spelling and so forth

3
Achewood / Re: Achewood themed bike of dubious quality
« on: October 29, 2008, 08:37:36 pm »
Nooooooo, my nerd ego!  :D

Should have remembered that one when I was putting it together.

4
Achewood / Re: Achewood themed bike of dubious quality
« on: October 29, 2008, 06:37:48 pm »
I did indeed use a laser printer for this. The resolution on it wasn't great, but the toner is, I think, more durable that inkjet ink. Stenciling or something like that would be way better for sure. Or maybe printing onto vinyl stickers. This project was more of an experiment than anything else, if I build another one in the future more effort will go into it. In fact, the original concept for this was to have the frame completely covered in images, a big crazy collage. Then after hours and hours and hours of stripping, sanding and painting, I got lazy and just did what you see above.

Ghost bike? It's reasonably corporeal. Though I was working on this in the down time I had after I broke my arm biking, so in a way the project is similar to the cyclist-fatality-ghost-bike-memorial thing (if that's what you're referring to).

Here's the montage you see on the down tube. I'm not totally happy with it, but it's good enough. Anyhow, it had to be printed so small to fit on the thin tube without wrapping too much that it's quite hard to read unless you are very close.

edit: To see the full size, right click on the image and hit View Image (in Firefox, that is)

Thanks for the kind words, everyone

5
Achewood / Achewood themed bike of dubious quality
« on: October 29, 2008, 06:46:01 am »
Well hello there,

I've been thinking about making an Achewood themed bicycle for quite a while. Recently I started toying around with bike mechanics, and decided that building such a vehicle would be a fun way to learn. Thusly, I am sharing my attempt at an Achewood single speed road bike.

It's an old Gitane Gypsy Sport, late around 1978 I believe, stripped, painted white and with some of my favorite images from the comic glued on. The clear coat did not seal the paper as well as I had hoped. The only thing worth mentioning on the bike are the wheels, which are Mavic CXP22 rims on Formula hubs. Practically everything else is at least 20 years old. As such, it is incredibly heavy given it's simplicity.

I was happy about the head tube "badge" of Philippe standing on it, but the clear coat made the toner run a bit and the brake cable interferes. Alas. He is also coming off - most of the paper needs more sealant of some kind, maybe acrylic matte medium - which I have used on another similar project, a bicycle covered in red paper.

Anyhow. Photos.

(I am new here and it seems they are scaled down. To see a larger version right click and View Image, I suppose?)















I will post the.... montage? on the top tube soon. It consists of some of my favorite panels.



ps
hi touamb

Pages: [1]