Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's Kim Jong-il Fact™: North Korean state media reports that Kim routinely shoots three or four holes-in-one per round. (Wikipedia)

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - Schabe

Pages: [1] 2
1
Achewood / In the Dumbwaiter
« on: August 28, 2003, 03:31:31 pm »
Seriously, I laughed out loud, which is something I try to avoid when I'm at work no matter how funny the strip is, but I just couldn't stop myself.

2
Achewood / Re: maggots
« on: August 26, 2003, 04:04:35 pm »
Quote from: "satchel"
Sometimes I wonder if the world’s ecosystem could stand the extermination of all flies. I think it’s a worthy goal.


Aside from their marginal role as food source for actually beneficial creatures, like birds and spiders, according to the Discovery Channel they serve no other purpose, are worthless parasites, and that the ecosystem would not be harmed at all if flies vanished.  And, yes, it is a worthy goal.

3
Achewood / Clothes make the man - 21 August
« on: August 22, 2003, 09:59:08 pm »
Ray is Big Pimpin', 19th Century-style.  That makes everything okay.  The money line was perfect.

Now I'm all left dangling over where Philippe will wind up in his search for the birthing place of Santa Claus.  Suspense!

4
Achewood / Ray's Place for 19 August 2003
« on: August 19, 2003, 10:18:46 pm »
Also funny: Frank Kafka.  Followed by the Adams comment, I laughed, despite still being saddened by the loss of Douglas.

Tragicomedy!

5
People & Places / Vote Ferocious J off the Island!
« on: August 15, 2003, 08:49:27 pm »
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote
If everyone is free to say what they want (fine by me), then they are free to be pointless, whining children


These post complaining about the nature of this board are by far the most pointless, whiny, and childish.

By far!!!

~Paul


Or is it the posts that complain about that??  

Don't you see, we've been placed on the bitch-and-moan merry-go-round, the hosss are stuck bouncing in high gear like a porn star on crank, the music is speeding up, the world outside is a blur, and the carnival is only just getting started.

6
People & Places / Vote Ferocious J off the Island!
« on: August 15, 2003, 04:35:17 pm »
Well then, the point is circular and moot.  If everyone is free to say what they want (fine by me), then they are free to be pointless, whining children, and J (or anyone else), is free to point it out and add their disappointment/indictment to that.  No?

7
People & Places / Vote Ferocious J off the Island!
« on: August 15, 2003, 03:17:51 pm »
Look.  Here is the thing.

I think I feel the same way that J does, so since this has come down to a few people harping on him, I'll take his back on this one.

Here's the thing: the Achewood forum a la Dumbrella sucked.  SUCKED.  It had its moments when people were more interested in talking about food and how awesome they thought Teodor's dance was and whatnot, but it was like 50% suck for a long time.  Why did I keep reading it?  Because I love Achewood, and just happened to hang out at Dumbrella all the fuck*ng time already.  plus, for the 50% of suck, that left 50% of cool, which is a fair balance, and who has high expectations of the Internet anyway?

But in the last few months of its miserable life, the Achewood forum there went from 50% suck to an increasingly alarming 70%, then 85%, and finally died with about a 3% reason for the board ever having existed at all.  Now, you can blame Onstad for that and the way he ran his board if you'd like.  It's easy, and he made himself the tyranical crank, and well, there might be something to it.  There is also every reason to suspect that the community of readers/posters on that board were ALSO to blame (myself included, so nyah).  

And here we are, free of the Onstad hate, and what happens?  The exact same horrible attitude gets carried over to a new place.  Maybe you can all claim to be tainted by Onstad and his crank-master ways, but this is the most unsatisfied, miserable, and often petulant "fan" community I've ever seen.  Why did I join?  Because it's kind of funny, in a Farrely Brothers movie kind of way.  Plus, sometimes people are just willing to talk about the kind of stuff that made the old board cool sometimes.

All this childish petulance here just makes me sad, and a little angry.  If you're so pissed at Onstad ruling with an iron fist (as if his being a MOD -- oooh, scary! -- had anything to do with it), then now that you've got your freedom, why are you wasting it?  You don't see prisoners who've escaped from the pen standing outside the chain link fence bitching about how the guards treated them, do you? No, they run to a dessert island, get drunk or high or laid, or whatever they want, because they are FREE.

To be fair, Onstad shook up the Achewood expereince at the same time he dsiaplaced his little community of camp followers.  It's to be expected that grumblings and gripes would follow.  But for shit's sake people, J is right: there is a huge difference between constructuve criticism and bitching and moaning.  Fer realz.

Me, I'll point it out all I want until you ban me.  Which would be funny too, so feel free.

8
Achewood / 8/15
« on: August 15, 2003, 02:59:29 pm »
Actually, I completely agree.  I've really thought the alt-text had been under-used for a while, and it was nice to see him put it the effort of the old double-whamy punchline of the past.  

I also like the way Beef ends the sentence with the emphatic "BESIDES".

9
Achewood / August 14th Variety Hour
« on: August 14, 2003, 08:54:12 pm »
Huh!  Sucks to have people bitching about how much you suck all the time, don't it?

10
Achewood / Re: Ray’s
« on: August 13, 2003, 02:50:07 pm »
Quote from: "satchel"
I suppose he had confused N.’s criticism of the work with the story itself.



Friedrich Nietzsche: 1844 - 1900
Kafka writes The Metamorphosis: 1912 (first published 1915)

Ray is just traight up wrong (whether or not this is intentional on Chris's part is another question, as it could be an example of Ray not caring about philosophers, so giving inaccurate advice).

As for the sexist angle, I wasn't trying to say I "knew" it was a man, but the first time I read the letter, before I got to Ray's note at the end of his reply, I initially thought it was a man who had a boyfriend.  I agree though, it probably had a lot to do with the language choice.  "Juice this chick up?"

11
Achewood / RP 12/08
« on: August 12, 2003, 07:56:58 pm »
Also, I actually picked up on the fact that the wannabe-swinger letter was written by a guy, too.  Although I'm not sure what tipped my hat, having gone back and tried to read it more thoroughly.

12
Achewood / RP 12/08
« on: August 12, 2003, 03:14:19 pm »
Best actual advice: the guy with the ring problem.  Fuck her if she can't accept an honest gesture of love because of a brand name.  

I like how this one is a little lighter on the humor, more heavy on the serious advice.  It makes the advice column diverse and surprising!

13
Achewood / Variety Hour for Aug 7th
« on: August 08, 2003, 03:39:19 pm »
Is it time to ask for a new messageboard yet?

That will solve everything!

14
Achewood / did it ever occur to you people
« on: August 08, 2003, 03:28:24 pm »
Charles Schulz would have murdered you all in your sleep.

(and still made his deadline!)

15
Achewood / Ray's Place Theme Tune
« on: August 07, 2003, 02:18:55 pm »
It is shiny and good!

Pages: [1] 2