Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Have you ever woken up to find phrases like "cryogenic baseball player" in your Google search field?

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - Beatrice

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19
1
People & Places / Re: Not Dying!
« on: March 03, 2009, 09:37:03 pm »
My Mom crammed every variety of healthy rabbit chow down our throats, plus lots of pork, lamb and chicken.  We had little dixie-cup type thingys next to our cereal bowls with capsules of B-complex (that made your pee fluorescent yellow), ...

I just realized that's what's been happening off and on over the past several months.  it's not random, i just don't have neon pee when i forget to take the B12!

2
I used to be teased for having a "peacock butt" hairdo.  Now I have long hair again and still often do a variation of this, but it's more peacock-like as I've adopted random colors resembling bright plummage.  but this isn't middle school so no one seems to care. 

my b/f has told me a few times that he won't put his growing hair in a ponytail because the only types that do that are "douchbags" but he's perfectly fine with a top knot.  which is cool 'cause i think it's real sexy.  but dudes don't be afraid to worry about your long hair and to gather it in some organized fashion.  the ladies will only want to get their hands on it even more!

3
Science & Nature / Re: Plant your Recession Garden
« on: December 08, 2008, 06:42:23 pm »
The whiffs of social engineering made me pucker up though. It's not like that hasn't already been going on with the current framework and corporate/national franchise shilling. Certainly FOOD has an almost intrinsic social component to it all the way down the delivery, preparation, consumption line. Me and mine, in fact, are already practicing the line the author proposes and certainly fall into the group he mentions as the available market group for his ideas. I suspect an awful lot of us here do, gauging by the food discussions we get into.

But man do I have an aversion to policy as a stick to prod social behaviour. The public health issues the author raises make me think this is a not small pillar to his support of the proposal.

I'm also not sure I buy how blithely the necessity for labor to migrate from urban areas to the farmlands is covered. Crop harvesting isn't exactly cherry picking [wink wink] work. Neither is re-tilling, fertilizing (with the raw product) and all the other manually intensive labour that goes with it. The sort of programs necessary to support this kind of relocation, adaptation and retraining are not a small item, I'm thinking.

I should probably read the article before responding but...

The US Farm Bill that just got passed again this year (heads up, in 5 years it'll happen again) is a huge and confusing program of subsidies and regulation.  Much more of the former, mind you.  It covers things from agriculture to cattle production to loans and disaster relief and what your kiddies eat at school.  The crops subsidized are cotton, wheat, soybeans, corn, (and rice?) etc.  Mono-culture crops that require intense irrigation and chemical treatment with increasing fertilizer use due to deminishing crop yeilds but that are fairly easy to harvest and store with little requirement for transport deadlines.  Anything else is a "commodity." 

I don't know about you, but I do not eat cotton T-shirts for breakfast.  I derive some protein from wheat gluten in my mostly vegan diet, but primarily I'm buying "vegetables."  We have corn syrup in everything we consume because farmers and (more importantly) HUGE agribusinesses like monsanto and its subsidiaries reap huge profits off ag subsidies because they produce so damn much.  And some chemists determined that you can make everything from sugar substitutes to packing material with all that corn the big producers grew too much of and now these artificially cheaper ingredients are used all over.  But if we were paying a real price for corn your meat wouldn't be so cheap so you'd be less but higher quality animals, international markets would be more stable because immigrants wouldn't be fleeing their crashing economy due to lower crop prices thanks to our artifical price floors and the hard work of family farms would be focused on producing diversified products to sell year round and in competitive markets where true quality (nutrition and choice) would be the selling point as these commodity crops would be funneled into local markets and not stored in a warehouse in Florida by the millions and shipped out across the country all at once.

My point:  If you read through the Farm Bill, especially sections like the WIC program (all the food welfare programs are under this bill) or the school lunch budget, a federal program is determining what can or can't be bought for food and how.  You bid for year's supply of shitty cardboard pizza the same the custodians buy their toilet cleaner in bulk.  Simply freeing up how budgets are allocated without an policy-as-a-prodding-stick approach can make a huge difference.  It is really difficult (or impossible) for local governments to get approval for changes to their school budgets when fed money is at stake, but imagine if the buyer for a whole district wanted to improve the quality of the slop kids are getting these days by hiring a chef or two to write and teach recipes based on seasonal (local, to ensure freshness) produce? 

In Louisville groups have been advocating for a central processing facility so that farmers out in the state can take non-subsidized produce and make value added products to cover their costs, and in the same way a central kitchen could prepare incoming local food for mass consumption. More nutritious, more environmental responsible, money goes to struggling local farmers, and your kids have better attention spans, less sick days, and when kindergardners are eating butternut squash for free lunch, they're gonna keep expanding their pallet.  While the spending policy changes, most everything else to process and prepare this food is in place. 

More and more I am amazed at the connections of food with health, community, and the evironment.  It makes sense that in our society the process we use to feed ourselves reflects and shapes our community.  Food is the fuel for body and mind cycled through our system of human ecology.  "vote with your fork" is a slogan central to my everyday life.

4
Achewood / Re: December 2nd, 2008 - "His nostrils even flared!"
« on: December 08, 2008, 06:18:46 pm »
Quote
"Before I knew it, I was squatting on the floor in this humid room with a camera pointed at my crotch," said model Gabrielle, whose image can be found on the back page of this newspaper.

The first AA store I ever patronized was in SoHo, and was also the place I discovered my first hard copy of The Onion.  Am I some sort of late-blooming hipster freak?  Nooooooo! 

Their fair production practices are so good, and their ad campaigns are so bad.  I bought a pair of pink socks at a store in Philly after walking several miles with my boyfriend with just shoes and sweaty feet. They were 8 dollars, and the store was the third one we'd passed.  At 2 dollars per blister prevention, this may have not been a cost-effective decision. 

5
Achewood / Re: April 8th 2008 - Language, Mr. Teal!
« on: April 08, 2008, 05:36:55 am »
i "rogered" your mom... last night.

6
Achewood / Re: How did you first find Achewood?
« on: February 19, 2008, 07:24:20 pm »
bozack did it.  during the beef-goes-to-the-moon arc, he said he wanted the Fuckin' poster on his wall.  and i was thus reborn.

7
People & Places / Re: Happy Birthday, ARACHNOCAPITALIST
« on: February 15, 2008, 09:31:00 pm »
Check your censors, dude. All will be revealed.
N*Y*U has evolved to A-CAP - The more smug, more antagonistic economist.

Ooooh!  THAT'S what happened.

8
Achewood / Re: Would you drink... Earl Grey with your ass? 2-11-2008
« on: February 12, 2008, 06:19:36 am »
one of my favorite adult-but-not-in-a-sexy-way games is to go to the health food store and blend my own teas from various herbs.  i still get a kick out of putting rose hips and hibiscus in with my "real" tea.  (ooh my goawd there's flowers in it!) but yeah.  and it's always a good excuse to flirt/discuss shit/medicinal such-and-such with the hippie ladies.  or hippie dudes if you are into that. but it's cheaper and stronger (fresher) than anything in a bag in a box on the back of whatever shelf you're perusing.  but hey it's almost (two months?) garden time!  you could be planting all types of tea-stuffs!

9
People & Places / Re: Ahhh! To be 16 again!
« on: February 08, 2008, 04:56:06 pm »
Is this go back to 16 knowing what we know now, or go back to 16 and do it over blind? Because if it's the latter, I imagine 90% or it or more would be exactly the same. If it's the former, let me go back to 5 or 6.

this is why we have children right?  not to live vicariously, but to love with knowledge of the real world while still allowing them to grow into their own identity.  it's a natural progression, it seems, and one that too many parents don't seem to get.  no matter how bad you may have had it, a child is your chance to make right with the world, for their sake.  in a less pushy-cheerleader-mom and more an enlightened-guardian way. 

10
People & Places / Re: The Dude Who Has Aspergers.
« on: February 05, 2008, 05:58:02 pm »
I dated a guy this summer who was very outgoing and hilarious when I met him, and the first time we hung out we stayed outside in the park and talked all night.  He was very easy-going and things progressed quickly and we had lots of mutual interests but I didn't want to get into a relationship and told him so.  He pushed for it and so we were committed but within a month he started to act like a different person depending on the situation.  Especially when it came to me hanging out with my friends.  He didn't want me to, so I'd insist he join me, and then he'd have a panic attack and we'd have to leave.  This happened one particular night and I just sort of took him back to my place, soothed him, and went back to the party.  I love my friends and I wasn't going to miss a best one's birthday.  Anyways, he would teeter between being confident and awesome to be very akward.  He was/is good at computers, and insane theoretical physics that were fun to discuss, but he was also dealing with a recent divorce (at 22) and obviously didn't really listen to me when it came to what i wanted/needed in a relationship.  So things were rocky but I was leaving town anyways to move to Asheville so I didn't really stress it.  Then one day as we're discussing whatever small thing was really bothering him he says, "you know i was diagnosed with autism when i was a kid.  i've got the traits.  that's why i'm like this."  Basically, not my fault. Deal with it. 

That's when I really started to see him as a different person, one i couldn't get along with, because he pulled this out as an excuse for basically being jealous and insecure.  I don't doubt that his brain works in ways i can't imagine.  That was one of the things that really attracted me to him.  He offered me a different perspective and i could emphathize with him.  But when he pulled out the clinical diagnosis as an excuse I realized we couldn't get along.  I've had a good amount of experience with relatives, students and friends with various psychological (?) differences.  Whether severe autism or some other part of the vast spectrum I aim to recognize the individuality and attempt to better understand where another person's coming from.  But to me there's a line when you pull out a diagnosis (one that he obviously was hurt by, and probably tried to play down, and I think he did so very well, and had developed into a great dude, both in spite of and because of his unique brain-style, or something) in that context as an excuse then that's the real problem, and not the condition itself. 

Writing all this now makes me realize how hypocritical I sound with my own history of adhd characteristics and my genetic predisposition for such.  huh,  thanks internet.  i'm gonna go think about life.

11
Achewood / Re: Feb. 5, 2008 - Seasonal Happiness Lamps
« on: February 05, 2008, 05:29:57 pm »
ah, i remember the day i realized that the violent-sounding "fights" i'd heard between the attractive couple above me were quite the opposite.  alas i made things akward by having previously shared my concerns with my roomate ("do you think i should say something?  they're throwing things around!  what if it's abusive?  yeah, it's weird they only fight really late at night.  yeah, he seemed like such a cool dude") first.

12
he flipped her but he also redrew the phone and her arm and everything. 

13
also, she licked the "actual pink part" when he was a kitten, so by god she can do anything to it she damn well wants.

14
EL OH FUCK*NG EL.


that is so good.  the way he waits, realizes, and pouts.  finality at it's finest.

15
Tony Hawk is so not Phillipe.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19