Actually, "Heh. Whatever happened with that, anyway" is a very nice example of how Achewood can graciously disregard ...
I'm gonna chalk this all up to the Fight, and leave it at that. Think about it, Ray became an international superstar, and he didn't change. He became the biggest part of a billionaire, and he didn't change. I think he could win the GOF and still be Ray. Once the testosterone and the ghost of his father dissipate, he'll be his old self again.
Exactly. 2 points:
1. You can analyze lots about Ray's character, etc, but this comic strip has always changed as the creator's whim/muse/mood changes. So reading deeper things may be an interesting exercise for someone looking for a paper topic, but is unlikely to arrive at the truth.
2. If one insists upon a consistent storyline/personality for Ray, then I say that an abrupt shift (suggested by the quote above) is just perfect. This is a guy who has been TO HELL AND BACK, and it didn't much disturb him. I don't think the GOF and ripping a guy's face off will bother him one bit. Ray is not about to become a murderous psycho. He needed to win the GOF to maintain the family legacy, man. And to prove what a bad-ass he his. Then he can go back to acting like a big pussy (no pun intended) most of the time, but knowing that deep down he is the baddest cat of all.