Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "One of Your Shoes is By the Dog Food: A Tale of Things Not Worth Mentioning During Married Life," is out in September on Harper-Doubleday.

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - Emmoh

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
1
People & Places / Re: Moving to Chicago
« on: October 20, 2006, 08:21:57 pm »
Born and raised.

I was born in Lincoln Park, but I would avoid living there now. It's a gorgeous neighborhood, but the people, well, after living my high school years on the North Shore, I have a distaste for the kind of people that inhabit Lincoln Park.

Evanston is everything that Dawg said it was. Wonderful community. Unfortunately, in the last five years or so, all places in the nice areas have either gone condo or been priced out reasonable range.

I live in Uptown, have for the last couple of years and like it alot, reasonably priced, neighborhood on the rise. I really wanted to live in Roscoe Village or North Center, but I wasn't able to find any places meeting my specifications, both really pretty neighborhoods, with lots of good food and drink.

Rogers Park, the part around Loyola, offers an experience similiar to Evanston, for a easier price of living.

I lived for Edgewater for three years, one of the more underrated spots in the city, but far away from everything.

For a first time renter in Chicago, I recommend looking the Apartment People, a free service that will help you the first time through (if you need to use them any time after that, though, something is seriously wrong.)

In any case, welcome to the greatest city in the world, I hope it treats you well, if you have any questions, feel free to hit me with a PM.

2
Achewood / Re: Achewood Myspace
« on: September 28, 2006, 03:36:00 pm »
My myspace has alt-text.

3
Arts & Entertainment / Re: Which Fugazi for a friend?
« on: June 13, 2006, 03:26:26 pm »
13 Songs was my first. I was hooked from the opening bassline of Waiting Room.

Though I don't think you can really go wrong with Repeater, Kill Taker, or Argument either.

Another good album to try to improve the taste of a fan of shit metal is something like The Shape of Punk to Come by The Refused.

4
I was VERY upset, however, that the man-in-the-box wasn't Nice Pete.

My initial reaction at seeing the the box was that it would be Todd (who's absence at the Badass Games is somewhat disappointing.) Which would make for a pretty great attempt at secrecy....

They locked me up 'cause I hit my old lady. What can I say? The bitch had it coming

F-f-f-f-f-uck n-no!

5
Arts & Entertainment / Re: Albums of Today
« on: June 09, 2006, 11:05:29 pm »
Because I am dumb I forgot to mention the new one from Mission of Burma, "Obliterati".

Pretty much sounds like any other MoB album, which makes it an immediate candidate for a top of the year list for me.

6
Arts & Entertainment / Re: Albums of Today
« on: June 08, 2006, 02:53:18 pm »
The Red Hot Chili Peppers sure do like singing about California. I have not liked what I've heard.

7
Arts & Entertainment / Re: Albums of Today
« on: June 07, 2006, 06:30:06 pm »
A can, however, for your Roy Orbison listen.

8
I am looking forward to trading Clemens in my Dynasty league to a contender for some quality youth.


LittleFalls, what do you think about the Milledge homer celebration semi-controversy and how excited are you to see the last of Cliff Floyd?

9
Arts & Entertainment / Re: The first album you ever bought?
« on: June 07, 2006, 06:17:56 pm »
A Hall and Oates live cassette.

I regret NOTHING

10
Arts & Entertainment / Re: Albums of Today
« on: June 07, 2006, 06:16:08 pm »
I didn't want to like Gnarls Barkley as of my thinking it was a big pile of hype (In my defense, I did not know who was involved). Then I heard a 7 second snippet of "Crazy" by accident. Then I had to have it. Adore it.

Also swell: The new Paul Simon, "Surprise". Russian Circles "Enter".

11
Arts & Entertainment / Re: Top 5
« on: May 22, 2006, 03:00:33 am »
OutKast

Thank you!

They may be huge beyond belief now, but for a pleasant change in commercial music, it's merited.

12
Arts & Entertainment / Re: Top 5
« on: May 18, 2006, 06:48:49 pm »
Okay...deep breath. I'm not going to stand by any of these in the morning....

In Hi Fidelity biographical order...

(edit, upon further review, I should probably push the bottom two out and put:
Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger and
Rocket From the Crypt - Scream, Dracula, Scream on top and push out the bottom two...or...)
The Clash - London Calling
The Who - Who's Next
Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life
Fugazi - The Argument
Hot Snakes - Automatic Midnight
(...put
The Mars Volta - Deloused in the Comatorium at the bottom, and push out, God knows what...shit, is this hard)

13
Arts & Entertainment / Re: Top 5
« on: May 18, 2006, 04:35:01 pm »
This is somehow much harder than 25 bands and I have no idea why.

14
Arts & Entertainment / Re: 25 Top Bands
« on: May 18, 2006, 04:33:35 am »
Okay, I finally listened to Congregation last night... it does have the same dulli sound, but less compression.. perhaps that's based on when it was made though, but seriously, the last two Twilight Singers albums (Amber Headlights / Powder Burns; not sure if it's out yet but a friend demanded I download it and eek.. only two songs didn't make me cringe and even then I don't get the urge to listen too often) lost their charm due to over compression to the point of cheesiness.  I saw a bit of a similarity to the Twlight Singers stuff when compared to 1965, but perhaps that's due to it being the last Whigs album.

The new Twilight Singers album is not out, but I looked up some of the mp3's floating around, thought they sounded alright. I'll bet dollar to donuts that among the three songs I listened to, one or both of the two that didn't make you cringe are in there. I just saw they're playing a late show here Friday, and between diggin' on Blackberry Belle and the minor Whigs kick this thread has me on, I think I'm goin to roll in...see if they's still got it.

Quote
Also, on the post rock tip.. weirdly, my cousin ordered me a Godspeed album for my bday.. I just got it the other day.  I count Godspeed in with where post rock started yet I never had their best album (Lift Your Skinny Fists..) though I did have a live in osaka, japan bootleg with a good bunch of them and now I do.  hurrah!

I'm a fan of Godspeed, I still think I prefer Tortoise, but that could be because I'm such a Chicago Homer.

But I only "got" them when they did that cover version of "Can't Get Enough of Your Love Baby".

Good call!

15
Achewood / Well...it was only a matter of time, I suppose.
« on: May 16, 2006, 06:49:07 pm »
Is this somebody here?

Strike me down and take my cans if this has been brought to attention previously...I wasn't able to find a mention.

Oh...and there are some pretty bad mistakes. Teodor's name spelled wrong...Vlad is Italian...even the "headline"...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8