Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Okay, Okay, enough of all that. New strip Wednesday afternoon. "  See, we shoulda took bets.

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - theauthors

Pages: [1] 2 3
1
so this was the other of the two comics he posted up on premium updates way back at the end of january. it just adds the bottom two rows. so those two rows took about two weeks to draw. and it isnt even any fuck*ng good

who wants to bet that the next strip is a Fuck You Friday :(

2
The roller skate is running the show

3
for those of you who dont have a subscription to "premium updates". onstad wrote in one of today's updates that the comic is returning next week. he is getting at least two strips ready. i wonder how many of the two he will think are not good enough for the Viewer

4
Science & Nature / Re: fahrenheit vs. celsius
« on: December 18, 2007, 01:37:56 am »
sorry

i agree with lfm that both scales are adequate to get a rough idea of what temperature it is outside or what temperature your oven is or another practical matter. in these matters a difference of a degree is not much. and besides this, there are limits to how precise the thermometer itself is and how well it was calibrated.

but if we idealize the situation and say that we can measure a temperature to a large accuracy, im trying to say that i dont see how one is more precise than the other, because you can covert any measurment from one to the other.

if we accept that the two scales are equivalent in terms of how precise they are, the reason why celsius was adopted as an international standard is not that either is more precise. my best guess is that it was adopted because of the more convenient reference temperatures that were used to define the scale. as far as i can tell, this was what the original poster's question was about.

5
Science & Nature / Re: fahrenheit vs. celsius
« on: December 18, 2007, 01:17:26 am »
lol yeah i agree with your last sentence. two cheap thermometers are probably going to have a difference in their reading thats roughly as big as the precision you gain from having more notches :D i had to use three thermometers for an experiment at one point, and all three had a different reading in the same medium. as far as i can remember, in a water-and-ice bath, one read -1 C, one 0 C and one 3 C (!).

this precision thing still doesnt make much sense to me though. why can't you eyeball the scale in 0.5 degrees C for example :D voila - the celcius scale is now more precise. edit: my bad, this argument sucks :) i see what you mean

6
Science & Nature / Re: fahrenheit vs. celsius
« on: December 18, 2007, 12:32:40 am »
?

probably its because i am not understanding something, but your question doesn't make sense to me. what do you mean by saying that the f scale is more accurate than the celsius scale? just because there are 100 degrees celcius to 180 f? if this is the case, is there any reason you dont want to use fractions? for example, linnea might be curious to know that in russia normal human body temperature is said to be 36.6 C. 37 would be a slight fever

as far as i can tell, neither is more accurate because there's a one-to-one correspondence between the two scales which you can figure out from F = (180/100)C + 32

i dont think celcius is an international standard because of kelvin scale. im pretty sure the kelvin scale was derived from the celsius scale. you guys ever heard of the rankine scale?

my best guess for why celsius was adopted as an international standard is because of how convenient the reference points of water freezing and water boiling are. this is because of two things: water is really abundant and easy to come accross, and during these phase changes its temperature remains constant until the phase change is complete, so that you can take your time to measure the reference temperatures. in this way celcius is more convenient than the f scale, i think

7
Achewood / Re: 17th December 2007 - a naïve but well-greased pepper mill
« on: December 17, 2007, 11:59:11 pm »
ooo what a shitty strip idea

:::comedy drum rolls:::
but honestly this strip was awful :(

8
Achewood / Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
« on: November 27, 2007, 01:09:29 pm »
does this mean no more new updates??

Quote from: Onstad
That's it for the kid status.

source: front page

---
lfm,

Quote
But all at once, the blogs AND the baby-update and the other more usual items put up for sale, it... it adds up to a weird kind of desperation. You know? Have sales been tapering off and a boost of money was needed that could only be fulfilled by throwing the kitchen sink at the completists? The blogs even, I get, they're a part of the greater universe of storytelling but...
ah, what a weird inference. you dont imagine it has anything to do with christmas and new year holidays coming up? which are probably best, sales-wise, in a year. its even called a 'holiday sale'

Quote
I don't know. It's just SUCH a tossed-off idea to later decide to monetize. I dunno.
Quote from: Onstad
By popular demand

9
History / Re: Today I took on the Teamsters
« on: November 22, 2007, 04:48:41 am »
 ???

dude there were two strong lines of argument presented a little above. i cant see an idea in reply to either in what you just posted. WTF

10
liked this better the first time around

11
Arts & Entertainment / Re: Country Music.
« on: November 03, 2007, 04:28:37 pm »
vol 3
Code: [Select]
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ia25oh

12
Arts & Entertainment / Re: Country Music.
« on: November 01, 2007, 03:55:11 am »
glad youre liking it fellas

here is the 2nd volume: social songs. ill get the third one up soonish (tommorrow?)

Code: [Select]
http://www.sendspace.com/file/yb2jk2
please dont edit the code tags. it might be force-of-habit but yousendit had an algorithm implemented that killed off a link once a number of different ip's were referred to it from the same source. this may or may not be true for sendspace, i dunno. but if its true then you'll ruin the fun for everyone else. just copy/paste the link, simple enough :)

13
Arts & Entertainment / Re: Country Music.
« on: November 01, 2007, 01:44:26 am »
heres a link to the first volume of the anthology you mentioned

Code: [Select]
http://www.sendspace.com/file/0zqn2u
if you like this one i have the other 2 volumes also  :)

14
Achewood / Re: Interview with Chris Onstad
« on: May 08, 2007, 11:41:56 pm »
heh, some of the things he writes are complete opposites of what he said in 2002-03

Quote
Onstad: I'm not even sure if I ever read this, but I think on the sleeve of a J.R.R. Tolkein novel he says something like "the tale grew in the telling." That's my approach—I hate to plan a story, to outline it. That takes all the guts out of it, all the surprise. I like to be surprised by what happens each day when I'm toying with the thing. If it surprises me, there's a better chance it will surprise the reader. If I sit down and plot something out then more than likely I'm just going to come up with something prosaic and predictable.
and now
Quote
The fact it takes so long is basically why I’m never ahead. Newspaper cartoonists are usually about a month ahead. The curse of publishing by yourself on the Internet is that you don’t really have to do anything ahead of schedule, since there's no process involved. You just post the comic; there’s no one else you have to go through. So I’ve never really been more than a day or two ahead of the strip.

I actually sort of prefer it this way because if I have a strip done several days in advance I’ll go back and I’ll start to pick at it.

or

Quote
BT: Wow. so are you reworking these strips all the time?

CO: Once or twice a week I'll wake up, look at the strip I wrote and posted the night before and think "Oh my god that's garbage." So I'll spend an hour or so trying to catch the original thought I'd been going after, and I'll re-post the strip. This always causes a little flurry of email and message board postings from readers.

Even if the original was just lousy, there's always a legion of people who like the original better because it was first. Like guys who can't get over their first girlfriend, even if she was a mess and had like a lazy eye or something. She smelled so good! She had that smell in her hair!
and now
Quote
When I submit it to the Internet and people start talking about it and buying copies, I can’t really change it so well then. In a way, it’s a form of discipline to work on the fly as I do.

15
Achewood / Re: Apr.16.2007 - Chapter One.
« on: April 17, 2007, 01:00:30 am »
Quote
What is with the sudden fascination with romance novels? Is he jealous of Cornelius?

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04272004

Pages: [1] 2 3