Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That the second best way to sound like a noob is to ask why robot and pants are censored?

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - Mr. Chord

Pages: [1] 2
1
Achewood / Re: July 31st. 2006 - "What if we took a picture of Pat"
« on: July 31, 2006, 09:33:33 pm »
OH LORD

I didn't see the original, so I was sitting here yesterday and going "Why do all these TOUAMBers think that curve is a c*ck."

But there it is. Tony Millionaire must have made a drunken dare on Onstad.

2
After posting this thread, I felt inclined to search for a particular comic from the archives. It's the one with older, fatter Philippe going "whatever, fag" to I forget whome. Anyways, seeing a fat Roast Beef from an alternate reality really reminded me of that strip. Hell if I could find it, though.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=08012003

Good thread title.

This strip is solid. Onstad's been on fire of late.

3
Three days straight and my local chums and I have been more than pleased with Achewood after a long spell of disappointment. Yes, it's free, so whatever he wants to do is up to him. But it feels so good, like now, when it connects.

4
This was a very compelling strip, something that's felt rare of late in Achewood. The panels were varied, the art carried the story, the dialogue complimented the whole presentation. Quite good.

5
This reminds me of a question I've had about Hallelujah for a while: what's up with the fact that neither of the covers of it I've heard cover the actual last half of the song and instead use the same set of different verses? Is there some kind of story behind this? I like both last halves, but it doesn't seem to make much sense.

I'm pretty sure Cohen wrote something like fifteen verses, and recorded different versions himself.

6
I'm guessing that the subject line here was from an earlier incarnation of the alt-text?

Or were you just quoting the lyrics from Suzanne without quoting anything from the strip?

The latter. Change it if you will, but earlier ideas I tossed around were "SIDE B - LEONARD COHEN" and "a Walkman with orange foam headphones," but I decided to go metatextual on everyone's asses with the connection to oranges from the alt text and the song that should be mentally playing by reading this strip.

Just trying to change things up since the strip was so brief. Also, the song seems perfect for Beef.

7
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07122006

FINALLY! A strip that isn't an hour of dialogue and witticisms. This may mark a return to classic Achewood.

Understatement and discretion were the mark of classic Achewood. I like the idea that Onstad's been trying to set new goals for himself, with more involved storylines. But it's nice to find a strip that it's in the spirit of what drew me to Achewood.

8
Achewood / Re: July 3, 2006: BITCHES don't you DARE LISTEN
« on: July 03, 2006, 12:36:55 pm »
I met a pimp today, and he said that he made more money than his "bitches".

What, from selling his own body? I'm confused on this one.

Quote
But seriously, pimps ain't cool.

They're certainly not.

9
Achewood / Re: June 2, 2006: Look at the genius!
« on: June 03, 2006, 06:10:51 am »
  Lyle, you truly are king of kings.

Wouldn't it be nice to see the King in a panel? I hope that is where this is leading.

10
God, Onstad's really taken a fall.  THis is one of Onstad's weakest strips.  Onstad truly has sold out.  Onstad's older work was better.  I feel like Onstad's older works should have a forum devoted to their discussion segregating them from Onstad's newer works.  Onstad's really quite awful nowadays.

I for one haven't been too happy with Onstad's recent output, but how has Onstad "sold out?" It's still a free, regularly-updated webcomic. He hasn't signed any publication deals with Dark Horse or anything (not that that would necessarily be selling out), hasn't watered down his creations into a televised program or web cartoon (not that that would be selling out), etc.

"Sell out" is a viable concept for many artistic creations. But a free webcomic with no major extra-electronic publishing?

I hope you're making a joke, because the only other option is that you're an unrealistic ass.

11
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05222006

And of course, Ray gets into the action. Why, oh why couldn't Lyle have seen the phone-dong connection? Why the default of Ray?

12
My first thought was "Great, now everyone at TOUAMB will be blathering on about how grand Molly is.. fuck that bitch."

Well, you hit that nail on the head. I just didn't feel until recently that much was being done with Molly. She's the only regular female character these days, but what purpose does she serve? I think it took Onstad a while to find sea legs with writing a female (the early Molly blog was so sex obsessed in comparison to the others that I had to cringe). Molly seems like the "straight man" character of the strip, much as Teodor is but without Teodor's insecurity. She needs something like this to define her, or else she's just there as background so Beef can blather about programming or vodka. I need a break from Ray and Beef.


13
Whoops! Beat me to it. But yes, I agree, I was laughing out loud at this one. It felt like a classic strip, not to disparage the current direction. I'm slowly starting to enjoy Molly, I hope to see her back-story explored as Onstad hinted.

14
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05192006

My God, Molly comes into her own. This may make her smarter than Ray with his ball-sack technology.

15
Achewood / Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
« on: May 03, 2006, 06:40:19 am »
I think Ray's in shock (at having possibly blown his otter pal to bits), and Teodor just moved him to switch places.

Hm - I think Ray passed out, as well. You normally don't say "wake up" to someone in shock, but then again, you do say it to folks daydreaming or just plain out of it.

Or maybe Ray was replaced with a dummy, and the helicopter's a prop, and this is all some odd Cartilage Head performance being pulled on Teodor.

Pages: [1] 2