Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No, Philippe! Too soon!

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - smick

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 96
1
Achewood / Re: EMERGENCY PARTY
« on: May 27, 2021, 04:27:21 am »
I CAN'T FIND MY PARTY HAT

2
Wild Card / Tiny Cans of Dr Pepper
« on: November 08, 2015, 05:39:21 am »
My local Fred Meyers (a wholly owned subsidiary of Kroger Foods) routinely stocks tiny cans of Dr Pepper.

I think about this place every time I shop.

3
Achewood / Re: Jan 31 2014 - I'm an owl jumper-cabled to a car battery
« on: January 31, 2014, 04:47:03 pm »
I woke up this morning and decided to dress for comfort.   

I pulled on a t-shirt that says "1978 VOLVO 244GLE OF DESPAIR" from the bottom of my dresser.   The lettering and image on the front is cracked and faded.   The underarms have Mitchum Cookies baked into them.

A distant acquaintance posted a picture on Facebook of a unicorn with a big middle-finger-mother-fuckyou for a head with the text "Fuck Your Friday".

The signs... the portends, they all pointed to this moment, like monks scribbling cryptic poetry about futures for which they could have no reckoning.

I feel like I'm waking up from a long nap and my eyes are eyeboogered shut.



IT'S STILL FUCK YOU FRIDAY!   I'M NOT TOO LATE!  BOY!  BOY!

RUN TO THE MARKET, AND BUY THE LARGEST TINY CANS OF DR PEPPER. 

The ones in the Mr. Floint's window?  The ones that are as big as me?!

YES, YES, BOY!  THOSE!   HERE'S A SHILLING AND TWO CROWNS!  NOW BE QUICK WITH YE!

FUCK YOU FRIDAY!  EVERYONE OF US!

4
Wild Card / Re: Today I'm gonna...
« on: November 16, 2012, 06:25:26 pm »
... let you guys in on a secret.

I don't come around here very often. 

https://www.facebook.com/shawnmcbrideisajerk if you want to keep tabs on me.   If you don't:  That's fine and also good.

5
Wild Card / Re: Leveling Up
« on: November 12, 2012, 05:54:25 pm »

6
Arts & Entertainment / Re: Not Famous
« on: October 22, 2012, 09:36:57 pm »
I played that with FRIGHT NIGHT last night.

It starred not Mark Ruffalo -

(What blew my mind is when I did the IMDB for him his headshot was SUPER familiar... Chris Sarandon is hell of the voice for Jack Skellington, whom I was just looking at a few weeks ago while watching Nightmare before christmas.   So... Nightmare before Christmas stars the voice talent of Not Mark Ruffalo, where as the Avengers seemingly stars Not Young Chris Sarandon.)

7
Wild Card / Re: Leveling Up
« on: October 18, 2012, 08:54:55 pm »
smick, that is pretty awesome. Never really thought about it that way -- telephones sort of scare me (but then, so do most people). And phone phreaking always struck me as kind of a dumb crime -- like, if you're going to put that much effort into something, why not steal something more useful than free long distance? But when you put it in the perspective of building connections between far-flung people; well, that makes more sense.

It has very little to do with stealing, since you'd never want to call anyone you actually know on a stolen phone call.  I think for those folks in the prime of the Phreaking, it was more about being able to do things that you weren't supposed to be able to do.   Taking these labyrinthine systems and getting them to bend to your will from a simple phone...  For some, I imagine it was simply learning things that people didn't want you to learn.  They wanted to level up, where others would rather they not.

Took me a while to dig this link up:  http://www.wideweb.com/phonetrips/ - Dude used to drive around the PNW and record the sounds phone switches made to try to figure out what was happening inside those brick buildings.

I had another that I can't find.  It had quite a few recordings from the 80s of conference lines. (The link above has them as well but these are different)
  They were really interesting that they revolved around these guys in NY calling into and getting dumped into a broken message machine.   The message isn't playing loud enough, and all callers are dumped into the same trunk with 2 way sound.   Basically, intead of "The number you dialed is no longer in service..."  These guys got each other and started talking about how they could force these things to happen, and start discussing the technical details of the crossbar switches in NYC and how you can force trunks to disconnect, or reorder connections to get an outside line... All very interesting... very little of it applicable to anything after the mid 80s.

8
Wild Card / Re: Leveling Up
« on: October 18, 2012, 05:37:11 pm »
Although, holy crap people. Phone phreaking -- 75% of the cookbook is devoted to it; who knew it'd be totally obsolete by now?

Me... but I was super into it when I was young.  I spent a ton of time on K-RAD H/P/A/U/X BBSes when I was a yute.  I was forever scrounging and reading text files which had delicious bits of Bell Labs stuff in them.  I felt SUPER badass, but in a nerdy way.

then in 2001, I started working in a telephone company central office.  It's not totally obsolete.  Certainly it becomes a minority, but the nice thing about Belllabs/Telcordia/Neustar/Verisign handling all the specs, is that (almost) everything is backwards compatible on the wireline network.   Chunks of the world are likely still using some old stair-stepper switches out there, and they need to be able to receive calls from your cell phone.

I get incredibly misty about some of this stuff.   When I worked in the CO, I felt like I wasn't just keeping the equipment in repair.  The stuff going on inside the equipment was far more interesting.  I was safeguarding communication.  How much raw emotion was happening inside of these giant blinking stacks of equipment?  Young couples breaking up, young couples coming together.  News of life altering events.  People falling in love.  People telling their friends that they've fallen in love.  Maybe they're talking about how they aren't in love any more... all very important business.  I took great pride in facilitating these things.   

I used to like explaining to people that when they're talking to someone on a phone, there is an unbroken strand of copper going from them, to the hand of the person they're speaking to wherever they are in the world.  You were literally in physical contact with the person, however abstracted it was.   Granted with glass and light, and wireless services... not so much the case.   Probably not even the case back when Ma Bell was urging you to Reach Out and Touch Someone.

Phones are heady dealings for me... for sure.

9
Wild Card / Re: Leveling Up
« on: October 16, 2012, 10:14:21 pm »
I've been learning static trapeze and aerial silks.

It's pretty amazing.

Still doing stand up.  I'm on "vacation" for the summer.  But... it's getting time to make the donuts.

10
Science & Nature / Re: Cloud Email
« on: August 21, 2012, 03:41:16 pm »
You can register a domain and set up "Google Apps" which makes every Google service available to you using your domain name.

You can log into gmail with an @companyname address, etc.

I myself use a hybrid of Google and Apple stuff to do the same thing. 

11
Wild Card / Re: Today I'm gonna...
« on: June 30, 2012, 05:05:18 am »
Yesterday I met a guy who is prominent in Urban Planning circles who... has the same name as me, but spelled differently. It tickled my funny bone to see him give a talk and hear about how (my name) is so important and prominent and we are so lucky to have him.

That happened to me when I went to an open mic in Reno, NV.  I sent a text to the host to see if I could get a slot.  He said "Sure, if that *Person's Name* didn't scare you off!" 

That struck me as super weird, like maybe autocorrect had mangled what he was sending me, so I just shrugged it off and went to the show the next day.  When I got there it turns out there was a Sean McBride who had done a show a few days earlier and had a tiff with one of the local comic/promoters.  Then I show up Sean McBride, looking to do time and get mistaken.

Apparently he does Irish American kinda jokes.   Who knew?

12
Wild Card / Re: The Officially Unofficial Pug
« on: June 28, 2012, 06:35:24 pm »
#2 is a still from the Total Recall remake.

13
Sports & Leisure / Re: Bicyclists (Advice?)
« on: June 27, 2012, 06:16:32 pm »
STP is a great rite of passage, that I'd never ever do again.

The ride is too big for the support they offer.   Day 2: I skipped all of the portapoties and food stops and bought my own food/water in gas stations and Subway restaurants along the unending sprawl.  I didn't see a single square of TP on day 2.

For a lot of pretty scenery in the PNW, they picked a super ugly route.

Riders are aggressive, and there are too many in a tight space to be safe.

14
Wild Card / Re: Never trust anyone over 30
« on: June 16, 2012, 09:22:18 pm »
How I know I'm an adult:  I came across some Disney pornography and I wasn't even remotely interested in masturbating to it.

15
People & Places / Re: Hey
« on: June 14, 2012, 03:52:46 pm »
I have thought before that maybe I am being a crap lady here. I've never left because of it, though. Just gone into lurk mode.

We are all a little bit Roast Beef. It's all that keeps us from becoming Ray.

Roast Beefiness is why I have a post count of 1400 after 6 years.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 96