Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am composing a tone poem about eagles, lawnmowers, and Ted Nugent. It is composed only of the sounds of those things.

Pages: 1 ... 779 780 [781] 782 783 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1345146 times)

0 Members and 172 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11700 on: June 28, 2012, 08:00:49 pm »

Is it a nationwide thing that lots of small businesses do not accept cards, or just a "st louis is a fucked up city" thing?

Was all set to buy a socket set at this local hardware store (opened in 1873!) and was told they didn't want my money unless it was in the form of paper with dead racists on it. This happens a lot, but usually at diners or places where the average purchase is like 4 dollars.

All of the food trucks can get it together to accept cards, and yet brick-and-mortar stores can't? What gives.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11701 on: June 28, 2012, 11:31:20 pm »

The credit card companies are basically the Mafia. The cost of using that machine is basically %10-20 off the top. A lot of mom and pops with super tight margins, thanks to Walmart, can't afford to pay that money.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11702 on: June 29, 2012, 02:30:13 am »

I am having a Problem fixing my bike that I do not even know how to explain. I was correct in thinking that learning how to fix my bike would be a fun puzzle. I just didn't think it would be a puzzle where tightening one bolt would loosen the one on the other side.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 02:39:53 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11703 on: June 29, 2012, 02:51:55 am »

Oh, hey, Inev...I thought that's why bike work generally called for two wrenches at a shot, dawg. Go diggity.

The hardware store would not accept his credit card.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11704 on: June 29, 2012, 02:56:25 am »

Yesterday I met a guy who is prominent in Urban Planning circles who... has the same name as me, but spelled differently. It tickled my funny bone to see him give a talk and hear about how (my name) is so important and prominent and we are so lucky to have him.

That was a bad way to explain what I was doing wrong. The bike tool I was using (crank puller) has several parts that were screwed together (I guess for storage?), but you are only supposed to use one at a time. I thought that there was a way to screw them together and use my socket set on the whole thing, since I did not have a big enough socket for the bigger part. But that just dis-assembled the two parts, rather than disassembling the bike.

And my solution to the Card problem was to stop by Lowe's on the way home. So I guess I am part of the problem. Now I own a socket set and a ratchet. Cool. If that mom-and-pop place were closer to my house or to an ATM things might have gone differently.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 03:09:07 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11705 on: June 29, 2012, 03:25:06 pm »

There is a donut shop and a hair cutting place around me that are cash only.  As far as I can tell, everyplace else takes plastic.  I think there's even a Starbucks (or maybe a Peets) that somehow uses your cell phone to pay.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11706 on: June 30, 2012, 04:48:58 am »

There is a donut shop and a hair cutting place around me that are cash only.  As far as I can tell, everyplace else takes plastic.  I think there's even a Starbucks (or maybe a Peets) that somehow uses your cell phone to pay.

There's a local coffee/juice shop that somehow took payment by cell phone from another customer when I was there the other day. She didn't have her wallet with her and it took them a few minutes to figure it out so it got kind of tense. It's definitely the kind of place that before entering I would check my wallet for cash.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11707 on: June 30, 2012, 05:05:18 am »

Yesterday I met a guy who is prominent in Urban Planning circles who... has the same name as me, but spelled differently. It tickled my funny bone to see him give a talk and hear about how (my name) is so important and prominent and we are so lucky to have him.

That happened to me when I went to an open mic in Reno, NV.  I sent a text to the host to see if I could get a slot.  He said "Sure, if that *Person's Name* didn't scare you off!" 

That struck me as super weird, like maybe autocorrect had mangled what he was sending me, so I just shrugged it off and went to the show the next day.  When I got there it turns out there was a Sean McBride who had done a show a few days earlier and had a tiff with one of the local comic/promoters.  Then I show up Sean McBride, looking to do time and get mistaken.

Apparently he does Irish American kinda jokes.   Who knew?
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11708 on: June 30, 2012, 07:39:24 pm »

Today I'm gonna go to that crazy butcher where everyone is shouting and the long counter is three people deep.  It's in the heart of a working class neighbourhood and it is quality without any frills.  I am slowly getting over the intimidation factor of knowing what I want and how much of it I want, on demand, when my number is shouted.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11709 on: June 30, 2012, 11:38:39 pm »

Yelling "Text [supervisor] then 'Eat shit and die"' is not the best way to test out a new phone feature. FYI.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11710 on: July 01, 2012, 07:42:02 am »

Mishear "dinosaur" as "anal sores" and embark upon yet another adventure in parody writing.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11711 on: July 01, 2012, 07:48:34 am »

Hey, it's Canada day!  It's 2:45am and I'm wide awake thanks to the large Coke Slurpee I drank - apparently too late in the day - yesterday.  After getting the house tidied, I've been enjoying some music, playing Drawception and looking forward to the BBQ lake party we've been invited to later today. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11712 on: July 01, 2012, 08:06:13 am »

It's definitely Slurpee weather.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11713 on: July 01, 2012, 01:39:15 pm »

It's definitely Slurpee weather.
I own a slurpee machine but lack non-diet soda (needed for the slurpee machine). Sure I could go buy non-diet soda, but then I'm already in 7-11 where slurpees require no labor.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11714 on: July 01, 2012, 02:22:15 pm »

Yelling "Text [supervisor] then 'Eat shit and die"' is not the best way to test out a new phone feature. FYI.

Is Ash watching? Because I really want to give this a thousand cans.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 ... 779 780 [781] 782 783 ... 878   Go Up