Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

When the creations of a genius collide with the mind of a layman, and produce an empty sound, there is little doubt as to which is at fault. - Salvador Dali

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - swinehund

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
1
Sports & Leisure / Re: Drugs: Still Bad
« on: August 02, 2006, 05:18:19 pm »
From what I've read, hyponatremia is further only a risk if you've been working out long or hard enough to damage the muscles beyond a certain point (ie. marathon distances). Running in a half marathon (assuming you had trained for it properly), for example, probably wouldn't be enough to cause much risk no matter how much water you drank.

The reason this was a problem was because the hydration advice was to just drink as much as you could stand to, regardless of thirst. That turns out to be too much if there is significant muscle trauma. I heard currently, they have scales at every water stop in some marathons, and you're supposed to just drink enough to keep yourself at the same weight throughout the race.

2
Achewood / Re: August 2, 2006 -- Dreamwheel and the Child
« on: August 02, 2006, 04:42:41 pm »
This strip is just great so many times over. I can't decide which part I like best about it. I think it's the Mapplethorpe filter, though making one's dad move to Portland is a close second.

3
People & Places / Re: Dying
« on: June 28, 2006, 07:56:11 pm »
They are not nuts, but close enough. Toasted or raw sunflower seeds (toast them yourself to avoid the fried ones you will typically get, or use sparingly if they're greasy) are good on salads, as are raw hulled pumpkin seeds. They've got a greeny sort of taste, but they're pretty good for you.

Jough, I would just go for the chicken skin in tiny amounts. Make it a once a week treat or something (one single drumstick, eaten very slowly), but stick to that. Another thing I liked about the calorie counting was that I could have measured indulgences, and compensate by just eating something really lean the next day.

4
People & Places / Re: Dying
« on: June 23, 2006, 11:58:38 pm »
Yeah, you shouldn't be counting calories of things coming out of your anus.  You have to do it the other way.

Well, weighing by difference is not a bad way to do it. I mean, I generally knew how much was going in too. Really I had trouble collecting the gas outputs, though. That little bag was really annoying.

5
People & Places / Re: Dying
« on: June 23, 2006, 06:39:32 pm »
Weighing yourself in the morning, after the whizz, will give you more consistent results (it will be your lightest weight, but it will *always* be your lightest weight). Even that will fluctuate daily, but it's less likely to include the pound of vegetables you had for dinner etc. Even better is to plot these daily numbers on a graph, and then you can more easily see the pattern over time. That is if you are fixated on weight, though.

I still really enjoy the hardcore numerical approach to anything related to the body, though. My husband and I needed to lose some weight, and we went on a totally anal calorie counting plan (I printed out lists of the stuff we eat, in /100g units, and kept it in a binder on the table, and we weighed everything significant on an accurate digital scale). We both ended up losing 20 lbs, but the nice thing was that it had to work. I've been eating fairly healthy for a long time, and getting moderate and sometimes heavy exercise (usually walking at least 3 miles a day, often more intense cardio and weights too), but it wasn't enough and so I found the 'just eat healthy and exercise' advice pretty frustrating. The problem seemed to be that I was eating too much, but I never for certain that that was the specific problem until we actually kept track of it. In the end I'm glad I did it if only because now I know that I actually do have control over this process if I choose to exercise it.

6
Science & Nature / Re: Go Fuck Yourself
« on: June 23, 2006, 01:37:35 am »
It's not as racy (with the self-fuck*ng implications), but there have been some mutants of corn where the seeds will sprout while they're still on the cob, before they've even dried out. That seemed rather cheeky.

8
This one is the only one that I've tried and would recommend.

9
Sports & Leisure / Re: Ice Cream Flavour Deathmatch
« on: May 24, 2006, 06:45:39 pm »
I did get an ice cream maker some time ago. While it's pretty cool to be able to go all crazy making whatever flavour you like, the result is not quite as good as when the professionals do it. I have one of those simple bucket full of antifreeze and hand crank ones, so it's possible that one can do a lot better with a fancier one. The main problem seems to be that when I have to transfer it to some other container, the ice cream freezes pretty solidly, so I am probably not managing to get enough air in it. It seems to be better for sorbets and ice creams with a little bit of booze in them (mint chocolate chip made with creme de menthe, rum screech and raisin). Gin and tonic sorbet (with a bit of lime) is actually pretty nice. Prune sorbet is better than you might expect!

I must like ice cream, because I am nodding in agreement with basically everything that's been mentioned here. Pretzels with ice cream, peanut butter chocolate, both of those together. Cinnamon ice cream is great but shamefully underrepresented. Tofutti cuties are good too even if occasionally lethal.

It just hit me now that it might work out better if I whipped the cream separately, then folded it into the chilled custard mixture just before freezing. Damn it, now I might have to make some more.

10
Achewood / Re: Well...it was only a matter of time, I suppose.
« on: May 24, 2006, 06:24:10 pm »
I read something once about the idea that irony is just an excuse for doing whatever the hell you want to do.

That is exactly it. Exactly.

11
So of course now I'm wondering how many readers have experimented at home.

12
Sports & Leisure / Re: Ice Cream Flavour Deathmatch
« on: May 24, 2006, 02:34:46 am »
I grew up in a rather italian part of town. Apparently we even had our own mafia? I'm not sure about that one. It was, however, considered cool to have italian ancestry at my grade school, where kids with obviously scottish last names would claim they were italian (they were, but like 3rd generation). Also you could get pannetone and the huge and festively-wrapped chocolate easter eggs at the grocery stores. Once I got one and it had a cheap little medal of the Pope in it as a prize.

13
Sports & Leisure / Re: Ice Cream Flavour Deathmatch
« on: May 24, 2006, 02:09:00 am »
I don't really eat Ice Cream.  Is it okay if I just have the cake?

No cake. Only Cookie Puss.

14
Sports & Leisure / Re: Ice Cream Flavour Deathmatch
« on: May 24, 2006, 02:04:16 am »
Oh, what about vanilla?  As that link reminds me, it is by far the most consumed flavor.  What I just ate in the absence of chocolate ice cream in the house was vanilla covered in chocolate, which is one of the best flavor combinations on earth.

I like that that link explains away my suspicion that the continent is full of boring people who choose vanilla again and again in the face of such perhaps excesssive variety as 21st century ice cream affords.

Now, as to your original question: Of course I would choose chocolate, but Creamsicles are a very tough competitor from the fruit division.  Because that is also a combination of inexplicable genius.

Let me tell you what I learned about ice cream flavour demographics from two summers working in an ice cream parlour:

Old people (over 50) order vanilla, maple walnut, rum and raisin, sometimes butterscotch ripple (I have nothing against these flavours, just a correlation). Unless they are old italian people, then they will order vanilla or spumoni. A large italian family will order mostly spumoni and a couple vanilla cones, plus maybe one chocolate for the kid.

Females between 12 and 25 or something prefer cherry/ CUNT cheesecake, pralines and cream, cookies and cream, cookie dough, 'funky chunky chocolate' those sorts of complicated things. I think men of this demographic order approximately the same stuff, but more butter pecan and chocolate thrown in.

No one ordered eggnog.

I probably should have just made the question Fudgesicle vs. Creamsicle, but I saw the broader issue at work. However, I know I'm winning because every time I have a Creamsicle, he asks me for a bite of it.

15
Sports & Leisure / Re: Ice Cream Flavour Deathmatch
« on: May 24, 2006, 01:11:38 am »
I don't know where it fits, but




RUM RAISIN.


That is all.

It is definitely hard to classify, but I would say the rum fits more into the caramel category. The raisins are not really tangy enough to be included with the fruits.

You'd almost think there would be a clearer classification scheme by now. I'm having a hard time picturing this. I guess it would start with the base flavour and then group by features. I'm sure someone must have done this, because it is a very important issue. Of course someone did, but it is not so satisfactory. There is not enough treatment of particulate diversity.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10