Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

I get so lonely up here. You never write, you never call.

sigh

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Movies you HATE  (Read 22658 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
Movies you HATE
« Reply #105 on: December 04, 2005, 10:46:38 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "Mantonio"
This place would be such a dull place if Jough was nice and had a pet bunny.

I thought Jough had a pet bunny...

...wait for it...

for dinner.

~Paul


Nah, I'm pretty sure it wassomeone else's pet bunny.
Logged

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
Movies you HATE
« Reply #106 on: December 04, 2005, 10:47:12 pm »

Quote from: "Mantonio"
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "Mantonio"
This place would be such a dull place if Jough was nice and had a pet bunny.

I thought Jough had a pet bunny...

...wait for it...

for dinner.

~Paul


Nah, I'm pretty sure it was someone else's pet bunny.


Holy Fuck, I suck at editing my own posts.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Movies you HATE
« Reply #107 on: December 05, 2005, 01:43:44 am »

To jump in on the "Oriental" thing: I think it's definitely not as strongly offensive as many of the words for people of African heritage out there, but it's associated with an era of lack of tolerance; "Oriental" is associated with beliefs about "the mysterious Orient," right out of any terrible film noir movie you might care to name. I suspect it's more akin to terms like "colored" that are not so much deeply intrinsically offensive as it is representative of a more insensitive time.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Movies you HATE
« Reply #108 on: December 05, 2005, 02:13:47 am »

Quote from: "theinevitable"
and Garden State tricked me into dating a girl who is like that. this is a bad idea.


I once dated a girl like that, until it came out that she liked me partly because she thought I was gay, and wanted to see me and some other dude fuck. That basically killed the romance.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Movies you HATE
« Reply #109 on: December 05, 2005, 03:50:36 am »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "theinevitable"
and Garden State tricked me into dating a girl who is like that. this is a bad idea.

I once dated a girl like that, until it came out that she liked me partly because she thought I was gay, and wanted to see me and some other dude fuck. That basically killed the romance.

Just to drive home the point that Bozack always, always has the best anecdote for any thread.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Movies you HATE
« Reply #110 on: December 05, 2005, 04:46:33 am »

ok, so, i can't use the words "orient" or "oriental"?

how about "occidental"?

can i still say "fuck"?

oh, wait, that would offend the Olde Englishe, ande Wee Woun't Wante Thatte.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
Movies you HATE
« Reply #111 on: December 05, 2005, 04:51:10 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
To jump in on the "Oriental" thing: I think it's definitely not as strongly offensive as many of the words for people of African heritage out there, but it's associated with an era of lack of tolerance; "Oriental" is associated with beliefs about "the mysterious Orient," right out of any terrible film noir movie you might care to name. I suspect it's more akin to terms like "colored" that are not so much deeply intrinsically offensive as it is representative of a more insensitive time.


I thought about starting to play Legend of 5 Rings. But the website is all, "the Game of Oriental Adventures." I also remember it containing phonoetically accurate place and character names. In the end my most important guide is whether I could talk about something confidentally with a friend or aquantance of a certain nationality. The answer, in Lo5R's case, was no.
Logged
I am older now.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Movies you HATE
« Reply #112 on: December 05, 2005, 06:18:06 am »

antioch-- if I'm understanding you correctly, that's always been my guide. If you wouldn't say it in front of a person of that nationality, why say it?

Of course, my friends attack me as being ruthlessly PC. I didnt' realize politicians were big fans of screaming at their friends when they make racist jokes.

Also, did you know that ruthlessly comes from Ruth, a bible lady? She was somehow anti-ruthless. she was ruthful. I forget what specifically she did, but it sure was ruthey.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Movies you HATE
« Reply #113 on: December 05, 2005, 09:51:09 am »

Quote from: "antioch"
I thought about starting to play Legend of 5 Rings. But the website is all, "the Game of Oriental Adventures." I also remember it containing phonoetically accurate place and character names. In the end my most important guide is whether I could talk about something confidentally with a friend or aquantance of a certain nationality. The answer, in Lo5R's case, was no.


L5R is The Game Of What-Fanboys-Think-Feudal-Japan-Was-Like-Plus-Some-Maybe-Korea-Or-China-al Fantasy.

Not to dis the game too hard, as the RPG is nonetheless a load of fun and their methodology for the CCG metaplot is intriguing even if I can't follow the thing at all. Anyway, about half the hardcore players I've known of it were one kind of East Asian or another, so I figure it is a game the playing of which will not innately offend all Asians.
Logged

LCB

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 113
  • ...when you get the blues in the night
    • View Profile
Movies you HATE
« Reply #114 on: December 05, 2005, 12:03:36 pm »

Put me down for Closer hate. All these critics blubbering about how the film is a piercing insight into the human condition or the relations between the genders or this modern world of ours...and it's four thinly drawn, incredibly obnoxious characters engaging in boring games of sexual one-upmanship and awful dialogue. The whole film is just quivering and wobbling from the strain of the actors and scripter and director trying too hard and failing miserably. And again, Portman is supposed to be playing a cold-eyed, mindgaming stripper yet once again she comes off as a chirpy little twerp. But even she pales in comparison that Julia Roberts in yet another "LOOK I CAN ACT REALLY LOOK I'M MORE THAN JUST ANOTHER PRETTY FACE HONEST PLEASE BELIEVE ME" role.
Logged
Which way to the vomitorium, centurion?

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Movies you HATE
« Reply #115 on: December 05, 2005, 02:16:16 pm »

my mom and dad rented the movie closer, they (or mom at least) are big fans of Julia Roberts.

they did not enjoy the movie, i think she said they stopped watching it.

they did not approve of the language, amongst other things.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Movies you HATE
« Reply #116 on: December 05, 2005, 03:06:52 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"
my mom and dad rented the movie closer, they (or mom at least) are big fans of Julia Roberts.

they did not enjoy the movie, i think she said they stopped watching it.

they did not approve of the language, amongst other things.

They had probably chosen the french audio from the DVD menu by mistake. Had they been listening in english I bet the language would've sounded much better.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Movies you HATE
« Reply #117 on: December 05, 2005, 03:21:25 pm »

Closer comes from a long history of excellent plays interpreted into terrible films... Actually, I haven't seen the film version, but the play was beautiful, and I know just by it's content and presentation that it will not, and should not have been, translated into film.

When it comes to Orientalisms, I took a whole bloody university course on the subject.  In the end, I don't think anyone would call you a hood-wearing racist if you called someone Oriental, but some would think you sort of ig'nant.  It's just a broad sweep to refer to so many different an varied cultures under a single stereotyped catogorical name. Then again, the local Chines cultural centre puts on a presentation every year that they call the Mysteries of the Orient, so I don't know...  In the end I think that Orientalisms are a lot like Westernisms - broad asumptions - some inaccurate, some not - that typify how one culture views the other from one or two steps removed.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

aparrish

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 115
    • View Profile
    • http://myth.livejournal.com/
Movies you HATE
« Reply #118 on: December 05, 2005, 03:26:24 pm »

It's okay to say "oriental" but only if you're describing the Top Ramen flavor.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up