Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There are only five Wodehouse books on my special Wodehouse shelf?! As Jeeves himself might ask, "Where in the fuck are the rest of them."

Poll

How have your oven fries turned out?

Man, they are a joke.
- 1 (11.1%)
They're like eatin' hot slugs.
- 1 (11.1%)
Crisp on the outside, creamy on the inside. They are truly Perfect.
- 2 (22.2%)
I have never made oven fries.
- 5 (55.6%)
Ham.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: June 12, 2004, 09:28:49 pm


Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Perfect Oven Fries Every Time  (Read 9943 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Perfect Oven Fries Every Time
« on: June 12, 2004, 09:27:50 pm »

All righty. Has anyone tried Ray's "Perfect Oven Fries Every Time" recipe? I'm currently making some, but my Achewood Cookbook has been MIA since the move. I know it's in a box *somewhere*...but it has not yet turned up. :(

At any rate, I'm going off memory here. So far I've brushed the russet wedges with olive oil, and they are currently in a 450 degree oven, and the little wedges are standing up.

I'm planning on taking them out, re-applying olive oil, and flipping them onto their sides. Crank oven to 500 degrees, return baking sheet to the oven, and let the wedges roast until dark (I seem to remember Ray mentioning that he likes to sit next to the stove with the oven light on with a magazine, checking in on them periodically).

Is this pretty accurate? Does anyone have any tips or additional points that I'm forgetting here?

I am trying to avoid the hot-slug effect. I'll let you know how they turn out, but I'd be interested in hearing others' experiences with the oven fries.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Perfect Oven Fries Every Time
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2004, 09:37:30 pm »

I thought the oven fries were pretty good until I tried the recipe for home fries and decided that there was no way of eating potatoes in the whole universe that was superior to that recipe for home fries.

That being said... man, this recipe is complicated.
20 minutes standing up at 450
10 minutes lying on their side at 450
Take them out while oven heats to 500
Brush with oil, 15-20 minutes at 500

You only need to sit there with the magazine for the last ten minutes.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Perfect Oven Fries Every Time
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2004, 09:40:27 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
I thought the oven fries were pretty good until I tried the recipe for home fries and decided that there was no way of eating potatoes in the whole universe that was superior to that recipe for home fries.


I wholeheartedly concur.  Beef's instructions will surely make me the hero of after-party breakfast next time I throw a party.  I've been eating those home fries with dinner just about all week...
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Perfect Oven Fries Every Time
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2004, 10:26:07 pm »

I still have never managed to get round to buying the cookbook, but I figure from what I've seen that my fries are pretty much the same. And they're great. I can never be bothered turning a fryer on to do them deepfried, and this way I can have a whole tray cooked in half an hour.
I don't use them often, but well, I always have potatoes around.

And yea, as far as my method goes, I dice the potatoes, throw them in a bowl of oil and then throw them in a tray in the oven at 200C.
I give them about say, 10 minutes like that then use a spatula thing to scrape any stickage and toss them all over. Then throw em back on the oven for another 10 minutes or so.
Because I use a non-non-stick tray I think it avoids the thing you were talking about in having to turn them often. It also might be the size of the bits of potato you end up with.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

arlyn9391

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Oven Fries Every Time
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 04:48:36 am »

All righty. Has anyone tried Ray's "Perfect Oven Fries Every Time" recipe? I'm currently making some, but my Achewood Cookbook has been MIA since the move. I know it's in a box *somewhere*...but it has not yet turned up. :(

At any rate, I'm going off memory here. So far I've brushed the russet wedges with olive oil, and they are currently in a 450 degree oven, and the little wedges are standing up.

I'm planning on taking them out, re-applying olive oil, and flipping them onto their sides. Crank oven to 500 degrees, return baking sheet to the oven, and let the wedges roast until dark (I seem to remember Ray mentioning that he likes to sit next to the stove with the oven light on with a magazine, checking in on them periodically).

Is this pretty accurate? Does anyone have any tips or additional points that I'm forgetting here?

I am trying to avoid the hot-slug effect. I'll let you know how they turn out, but I'd be interested in hearing others' experiences with the oven fries.



An oven is an enclosed compartment for heating, baking or drying. It is most commonly used in cooking and pottery. Ovens used in pottery are also known as kilns. An oven used for heating or for industrial processes.




_________________
Commercial Deep Fryer
Logged

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Perfect Oven Fries Every Time
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 12:59:03 pm »

Fuck me, that's where my oven chips have been going wrong. I've been chopping potatoes and just stuffing those bad boys up a duck for forty minutes.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Oven Fries Every Time
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 02:02:07 pm »



An oven is an enclosed compartment for heating, baking or drying. It is most commonly used in cooking and pottery. Ovens used in pottery are also known as kilns. An oven used for heating or for industrial processes.



Isn't this a TMBG song?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Oven Fries Every Time
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 02:04:29 pm »

Mmm...so spammy....
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Perfect Oven Fries Every Time
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 03:45:03 pm »

If they're coming out spammy you're cooking them wrong.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Oven Fries Every Time
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 03:57:58 pm »

The oven fries have become a favorite side dish at Turbo Casa.  Potato uniformity is key because it results in uniform wedges, which in turn cook evenly rather than some coming out hella black and others being starchy like Archie.

We throw our middle fingers up by flipping the wedges onto the "other" side about halfway through the home stretch.  Maybe it's the pan we use or the height of the rack in the oven but that seems to result in a more even doneness for us.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Oven Fries Every Time
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 03:58:55 pm »

Oven spam fries seems like a good idea to me actually.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Perfect Oven Fries Every Time
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 03:25:57 am »

wait, that is best spam ever.

the sig is even a link to a home fryer.

is so good.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Oven Fries Every Time
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 03:32:20 am »

Hey guys, remember this spam?
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Oven Fries Every Time
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 05:49:22 am »

That was some quality spam.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Oven Fries Every Time
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 04:34:33 pm »

What we need more of is relevant spam.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up