Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Would The Pet Shop Boys be nice to have over for Thanksgiving, or would they be a pain in the ass? It's really hard to tell.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Onstad does not deserve this  (Read 33049 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

arlucasinc

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 132
    • View Profile
    • http://arlucasinc.livejournal.com
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2003, 05:02:09 pm »

I wonder if Scrambles the Dog has his own balls.

????
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2003, 05:03:52 pm »

Well, his name is "scrambles."  What do *you* think?

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2003, 05:08:05 pm »

He probably has Neuticles.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Lane

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 40
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lanemcfadden.net
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2003, 05:10:00 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Meh.  I want to read his comics and other works, not marry the guy.  If being a dick works for Onstad, let him do his own thing his ownself.


I must say, that nicely sums up the whole thing for me.  Nevertheless, cheers to those who kicked off the copycat messageboard.
Logged
He gets with the ladies, but in the end they do not like him.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2003, 05:19:10 pm »

Has anybody else noticed that RStevens didn't totally lock it down? Apparently you can still post polls.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2003, 05:27:44 pm »

I just reckon I'd be the same. I have no particular love of people in general, they tend to be assholes. And I know if I was doing somethign viewed by that many people I'd tend to just be ruthless to get stuff out of the way. So I kinda respect him and the way he just deals with stuff his own way. No screwing around you know. At least it's consistent. If someone's an asshole, he won't take it. Seems fine to me.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2003, 11:37:44 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"
He probably has Neuticles.


that sounds like an awesome ancient greek legend. "and neuticles said to vasectimus,' Lo and behold for our workings are donefor' and with that vasectimus held aloft the broken sword of castraticlesius and vowed that neuticles would be his brother.
Logged
[expletive deleted]

Vinz Clortho

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 27
    • View Profile
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2003, 11:44:26 pm »

Doomglobe, I tried to put that as my signature, but it was just too long.

Thus is evidenced Neuticles' might.
Logged

I Am Not Creative

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/scirillo
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2003, 01:02:38 am »

I had decided I wasn't going to join this board, yet, here I am.

I understand why Onstand dumped his board, and I'm very surprised he didn't do it sooner. But in a way it seemed to be on the road to getting better. When John A closed down the Scary Go Round board, it was filled with stupidity and obnoxious children. Now that it's reopened, it seems people are a little more careful with what they post. Perhaps Onstad just needs a cooling off period. But I suppose a man can only take "Why don't you post funny comics!" and "I want this T-shirt!" so much.

Overall, I was a bit surprised by the change in schedule; but as many others have pointed out, it's his comic, we don't pay a dime for it, and really have no control over it. Yes, he does it for his fans, but I get the impression from Onstad that he is more of an Artiste than rstevens is. R does it because he likes poop and pixels and making people laugh.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2003, 04:40:00 am »

Quote
Okay, it looks like we made it a little over 12 hours before our first asshole poster.


Why was this an asshole post?  I think they are just saying what a lot of us are feeling.  I mean, the man writes a funny cartoon (well i'm in the it ain't what it used to be camp), but clearly he's a pretty huge prick towards his fans.  He's complained in several interviews about how much work this is for him so maybe he's gotten burned out.  That's another post for another time though.  He gave us like zero warning that he was closing down the board, he's expressed hostillity towards the very existance of this new board and he sure as hell ain't being very helpful in lettin' anyone know it exist.  Also, someone mentioned that they have been waiting a long time for their merchandise.  Me too.  I've been waiting almost a month for my shirt and i'm starting to feel ripped off.  Jough, don't you feel just a little bit like a chump for spending so much time supporting someone who hates you?  He's even taking to taunting his fans in his latest cartoon.  I'll continue to read achewood (as long as it remains funny), but I ain't gonna pretend that Onstad is a super sweet guy.

~Paul

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2003, 04:47:56 am »

Oh, I know he's not a sweet guy.  And I said previously that he's been a real dick about the whole message board thing.

And maybe there isn't any use for an Achewood message board.  

But a lot of people are posting here, and I've been enjoying this message board so far.

So there you go.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2003, 04:51:21 am »

What I plan to be my first and last commentary on this whole thing:

He does seem to have gotten pretty burned out by the status quo as it's stood, but we have yet to see how this new schedule will affect this. If moving to the three-strips-and-various-text-bits and officially disowning the MB allows him to get back on track, I'm all for it. Sign me up for the "still reading until it does actually turn into Garfield" crowd.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2003, 03:21:29 pm »

I was telling mrs|Choop (that's me spouse, if you couldn't tell) about the closing of the old board and the opening of the new board, and Onstad's lack of interest in things relation publique, and she said:
Quote
He sounds like kind of a dick.

It hadn't even crossed my mind until that point, and good lord it all makes sense now why couldn't i see it before i feel so much better about myself i'm glad i'm not him.

Of course, I also don't bring the funny like he is. Not that that gives him license to be a dick, but I guess everyone serves a purpose, gotta take the bad if you wanna take the good.

I LOVE YOU ALL
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Onstad does not deserve this
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2003, 04:43:32 pm »

I dont know that he is a dick, it could be that he just doesnt have a thick enough skin for the internet, or that he regarded his messageboard as a sort of email account and read every post meticulously (a very time consuming task) and could not tear himself from it as long as he knew it existed. It is wicked cool of jough and JL to set up this board, but I dont think it is neccessarily uncool of onstad to close down the other one, it is just a messageboard, its not like he flew a jetliner into naburush's oilrig or anything.
Logged
[expletive deleted]

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Different Agendas
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2003, 05:35:52 pm »

Really there were just different agendas here.  Onstad wanted an intelligent and entertaining dialogue to compliment his work, and when people showed up, they formed a community.  The community has very different needs than just being witty and insightful.  You're a group of people who came together with only Achewood in common, and have now formed a closer bond based on the message board.

You still talk about Achewood, but it's more about each other now than it is the strip.  It's more about your reaction to Onstad than it is about Onstad himeslf.  This is not what he was looking for.

He wanted a comedian's forum.  I would say something akin to 'Politically Incorrect' where if people aren't knowledgable, they're at least clever.  What he got was a clique of sometimes knowledgable, sometimes clever people who didn't always feel inclined to be either.  He also got the trolls, dinks,  butt-kissers, and randoms that every community swims through from time to time.

That's my long-winded analysis.  He wanted it to be about the funny, and you wanted it to be about you.   ...and the strip.  ...and pornography.  ...and how he kept locking threads.  ...and Invader Zim somehow.


Hey, it's long winded, but at least it's not 'Nate Small'.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up