Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That Word Front, the kind host of TOUAMB.com, offers high quality t-shirts for sale?

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Where I'm from  (Read 7975 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Where I'm from
« on: June 23, 2004, 05:13:59 pm »

Here.  The dark square roof is the house.  The lighter, rectangular roof is a barn, as is the roof across the road.  Our li'l slice o' heaven is the roughly triangular plot described by the front of the barn, the almost horizontal fence row behind the house, the gravel road to the west and the road in front of the house.

Can you find your house?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Where I'm from
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 05:18:00 pm »

It is a little freaky to see the house you grew up in on Terraserver, especially when you can see the shadows cast by the bushes - from frikkin' outer space.  Yikes.

ETA: the picture, duh. The house is actually half an inch below the red tack, which is located at 1 Brownstone Way.  

<split hairs>
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Where I'm from
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2004, 05:26:36 pm »

That is super awesome.  I wish they had that in Canada form.
Logged
goose means greedy

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Where I'm from
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2004, 05:26:46 pm »

The current location of Fort Awesome can be found here.  You can clearly see the fire station across the street.  The fire trucks at this station have for some reason started using their sirens as late as 1:00 in the morning.  They used to be so good about waiting until they were up the street after 9:00 or so.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Where I'm from
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2004, 05:26:57 pm »

(click me)

Holy crap.  I've actually never done this before.

You can see the little league field that I played baseball in at the bottom right.  And the local pool to the far left (if you change the map size to Large).  It's amazing.

This photo was taken four years after I moved away, but it's still frikkin' cool.

ed. to fix the scrolling issue. remember my sig that one time? -Choop.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Where I'm from
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2004, 05:44:49 pm »

Hey August, did your cows give a lot of milk this year?  

How about the chickens?  Lots of eggs from them thar hens?  

Seriously, is that where you live now, or where you grew up?  Is it really a farm, or are you just six miles away from your nearest neighbor for no good reason?

[Edit: Since Jough has already ruined the internet for everyone, I may as well post my childhood home:]

My Childhood Home

The red dot is actually across the street from where I lived.  If you put your penis on the dot, move it directly to the left, and then go up one house, that's the house I was raised in.  The small structure to the left of that (on the same lot) is a large tool shed -- the size of a four-car garage.  The monstrosity behind that is an eighteen-screen movie theatre.  When I was growing up, it was a drive-in, and I could watch the movies (sans sound, of course) from my bedroom window.  When I was nine, they tore down the drive-in and put in a driving range.  The cineplex went in the year after we moved.  

The largish structure to the lower-right of the red dot is a Presbyterian church with a preschool.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Where I'm from
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2004, 05:55:46 pm »

That is where I live now.  We like the solitude, peace and quiet.  We are plant people, so we have lots of space to grow things.  We have dogs and cats and yes, one rooster.  Our place is not a farm -- you can't do much farming on 2.5 acres -- but we are surrounded by real working farms.

I grew up in town, but I'm glad I live out in the boonies now.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Where I'm from
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2004, 06:09:57 pm »

Rock, Rock on, August.  

Here's a very nice shot of the home my parents lived in until last year, when they opted for a town home (being empty nesters and all).  They were still living there when this photo was taken, but I had moved out a year earlier.  The left "wing" was my parent's room, the right "wing" was intended for me and my brother, but he went and got married before they completed the move.  The structure out back was split roughly down the roof line.  The front portion was a "guest house" where I lived throughout college -- often with a roommate.  The rear portion was a workshop/tool storage unit, fully wired and stocked to the gills with construction equipment.  

My Parent's House

The guest house/shed was erected in a single week by a crew of four -- my parents, my brother, and myself.  It served as a storage area and base of operations for the construction of the main house, which was also built by the same crew of four over the course of eighteen months, largely while we were living in it.  

I changed bedrooms four times during the ten years I lived at that address.

This is where we live now.  Third house from the left-hand street, facing south.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Where I'm from
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2004, 06:15:51 pm »

I'd post a pic of the house we're closing escrow on, except then you'd realize that I'm moving to what is essentially a suburb of LAX.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Where I'm from
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2004, 06:22:06 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"
This is where we live now.  Third house from the left-hand street, facing south.


What is the facility that's kind of behind you with all the trucks parked at it?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Where I'm from
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2004, 07:14:39 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
That is where I live now.


Excellent.  

This information will facilitate our bombing raid.

Carry on, citizen.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Where I'm from
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2004, 07:22:51 pm »

I grew up on the red dot. Well, on the house what has the red dot here, anyway.

We spent seven years at the end of this cul-de-sac...

... and now we live here. And yes, it is that totally middle-of-nowhere.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Where I'm from
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2004, 07:23:59 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "jldunston"
This is where we live now.  Third house from the left-hand street, facing south.


What is the facility that's kind of behind you with all the trucks parked at it?


I don't know, actually.  We hear odd banging noises coming from back there fairly regularly, but I honestly have no clue what goes on back there.  

Ignorance is bliss.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Where I'm from
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2004, 08:23:37 pm »

This is basically where I am now, although here is where I was living when I chose my namesake.
Actually, I really really like the New York picture, and can actually identify my apartment better that I can identify my house in the Kentucky picture.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Where I'm from
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2004, 08:40:51 pm »

I zoomed out and panned a bit so that you can see the memorials/Potomac in relation to me. If you go one click south you can see the Pentagon.

From 2002.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up