Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That the second best way to sound like a noob is to ask why robot and pants are censored?

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Where I'm from  (Read 7961 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Where I'm from
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2004, 08:44:53 pm »

Oh, man, Cort's is in COLOUR.

That's awesome.

I CURSE YE FOR MENTIONING THIS SITE, AUGUST, SINCE I WILL BE SPENDING HOURS LOOKING AT THE EARTH INSTEAD OF WATCHING PORNO LIKE I USUALLY DO

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Where I'm from
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2004, 08:51:09 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Oh, man, Cort's is in COLOUR.

That's awesome.

I CURSE YE FOR MENTIONING THIS SITE, AUGUST, SINCE I WILL BE SPENDING HOURS LOOKING AT THE EARTH INSTEAD OF WATCHING PORNO LIKE I USUALLY DO

Oddly the black and white version is 4 years older and not zoomed in as far.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Where I'm from
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2004, 09:44:41 pm »

Oh, this is too freaky.  No way I am posting the link.  What if I was sitting out in the backyard picking my nose when they took the picture?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Where I'm from
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2004, 10:33:42 pm »

They only have maps of Kailua, no aerial photos. I imagine the proximity of the Marine base and Naval Air Station may have something to do with that.

I did find the house I grew up in and my parents still live in, though.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Where I'm from
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2004, 10:44:05 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
Oh, this is too freaky.  No way I am posting the link.  What if I was sitting out in the backyard picking my nose when they took the picture?

Based on the parking lots of my job and the German military base next door I'd say they took the photos way early in the morning.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Where I'm from
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2004, 11:34:12 pm »

Here's my apartment building - the one on the right, shaped like an inverted U. See those train tracks and that one train right behind it? That's right out my window.

Jesus, that's up close.


In this picture, it's just above the pushpin, and the upper left corner is downtown; the tangle of highways is where the I-75/85 connector meets I-20.


Damn, I love the terraserver. I've helped to build an application kind of like it for the GA DOT, with more information (road details, construction projects, etc.) in addition to the photography - but since the terraserver's data is co-owned by Microsoft, even the USGS can't give it to other governmental units inside the country.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Where I'm from
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2004, 03:28:50 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I grew up on the red dot. Well, on the house what has the red dot here, anyway.

We spent seven years at the end of this cul-de-sac...

... and now we live here. And yes, it is that totally middle-of-nowhere.


My goodness V, you've certainly lived in a wide variety of places.  Why?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Where I'm from
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2004, 05:39:12 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I grew up on the red dot. Well, on the house what has the red dot here, anyway.

We spent seven years at the end of this cul-de-sac...

... and now we live here. And yes, it is that totally middle-of-nowhere.


My goodness V, you've certainly lived in a wide variety of places.  Why?

Short version: it's my father's fault.

Long version: When I was a kid, my father worked for the University of Alaska, Fairbanks. However, due to increasing loss of funding and decay of facilities, the university prepared to undergo a lot of layoffs; my father basically decided to pull a "you can't fire me, I quit," and once he resigned he decided to use the opportunity to finally get his doctorate in history. This caused us to move to Nebraska, where he did his doctorate work while I was in high school. After he got his doctorate last summer, he began the job search and almost immediately got an offer from, of all places, Louisiana's magnet honors high school. He liked the job and took it... and so now we're in Louisiana.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Where I'm from
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2004, 10:03:28 am »

Anyone else notice how much WAY closer up the pictures start to be in 2002?  Now that I've looked at everyone's I see why a lot of you weren't worried that you could be seen picking your nose in yours.    Here's mine (now that I've figured out how to get the right picture without giving away my actual address), second house from the left on the bottom, you can see the doors and windows on the front of the house and everything.

Edited to fix scrolling issue -- click here.  - jld
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Where I'm from
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2004, 01:30:59 pm »

oh dang wombat i used the zoom command and there you are, stone cold eatin' a boogie. dang, that is mega nasty!

Quote from: "AugustWest"
My goodness V, you've certainly lived in a wide variety of places. Why?


When we design sentient computer programs that talk to us, we have to figure out a way to make them actually be AugustWest.

Quote from: "AugustWestOTron 9000"
My goodness, Commander, there appears to be a hull breach in Sector 9aZ. Shall I repressurize and move tea-time back an hour PRESS ONE OR SAY YES AT ANY TIME.


This is me pre-emptively apologizing if August thinks I'm trying to portray him as a namby-bot. What you can't see is, while AugustWestOTron 9000 is saying all of that, he's also eradicating the Klingons with extreme prejudice.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Where I'm from
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2004, 01:32:30 pm »

Whoa Choop - I knew you lived in ATL, but I didn't know you lived about a mile away from me!

Anyway, here's me.
The big building in the middle is my apartment, and yes, you can see into the middle. It used to be a factory that they turned into apartments, and there's a nice courtyard in the middle that's open to the rain and birds and such. To the left is a branch of city hall that I can see from my windows.

It would take hours to post the other *counts on fingers* 13 or so places I've lived, but maybe I'll track down a couple later.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Where I'm from
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2004, 01:52:26 pm »

Are you in the Ford Factory Lofts, wombat?

Why haven't we gotten together for such as beer and darts?

You may be interested in our moving sale that we're having so as to fit into the house we're moving into... (I don't know if the prices are right just yet so don't hold me to them)
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Where I'm from
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2004, 02:01:26 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
oh dang wombat i used the zoom command and there you are, stone cold eatin' a boogie. dang, that is mega nasty!

Quote from: "AugustWest"
My goodness V, you've certainly lived in a wide variety of places. Why?


When we design sentient computer programs that talk to us, we have to figure out a way to make them actually be AugustWest.

Quote from: "AugustWestOTron 9000"
My goodness, Commander, there appears to be a hull breach in Sector 9aZ. Shall I repressurize and move tea-time back an hour PRESS ONE OR SAY YES AT ANY TIME.


This is me pre-emptively apologizing if August thinks I'm trying to portray him as a namby-bot. What you can't see is, while AugustWestOTron 9000 is saying all of that, he's also eradicating the Klingons with extreme prejudice.


I really don't know whether to be flattered or pissed.  I guess my query did have a certain "Eliza" flavor to it.

I'll just be over here in the corner, Dave.

Daisy, Daisy...Give me your answer....do....
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Where I'm from
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2004, 03:18:44 pm »

Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Are you in the Ford Factory Lofts, wombat?

Why haven't we gotten together for such as beer and darts?

I certainly am, and I don't know why! I'm piss-poor at darts (or I would buy your dart board - the thought of owning it makes me fear for my security deposit) but I'll still play as long as I've got a pint in the other hand. PM me or somesuch.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Where I'm from
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2004, 03:20:49 pm »

Why, Mite, did I call you wombat? Please to forgiving me soon.

One does not begin to play darts in one's or others' homes, one begins at a local pub.

Details will follow upon my return to the country.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up