Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that there is no way to put a picture of a pug in the News Box?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: modest penis  (Read 17365 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
modest penis
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2004, 05:20:03 am »

No, it's cool if you don't like Neil Young.  Lots of people don't.  As long as you like trains.

I'm not musically intelligent, but thank you for the compliment.  I'm kind of the same way, I like what I like.  Of course I like the Live album, it's more of the best band ever!  Just when recommeding albums to others, I think it's less essential.  I don't like live albums in general.  However, I buy whatever Built to Spill I can get my hands on.  I like mediocre BtS better than most stuff out there.

The Singing Sores song is a cover... a song by... shit, I forget.  Love as Laughter, that's the name.  I'm not sure what album of theirs it's on.  A great cover though.  In fact, Doug Martsch can cover anything and make it brilliant (kinda like Johnny Cash, only better at it).  I have a llive recording of him doing I Try by Macy Gray and it's wonderful.  I saw him on a solo tour and he mainly did covers, with a few BtS songs thrown in.  He did a great Curtis Mayfield cover, along with Still Ill by the Smiths.  He's also done Mr. Crowley by Ozzy with the band, which rocked, stuff by the Clash, lots of stuff.  All great.

Low is a band from Duluth Minnesota.  They've been around since 1993 I think.  Thing about them is that, especially up until recently, they are very very slow.  Their website is http://www.chairkickers.com  I'd start with their most recent stuff, but I like their earlier stuff best.  They have a beautiful Rarity/B-sides 3 disc/1 DVD comp coming out in a few weeks, and I think a new album this fall.  Their Neil Young cover is Down by the River.  Their version is wonderful, but not quite as great as Young's.

The Slint captain song is on Spiderland, one of the best albums every recorded.  You know, I've only heard Tweez maybe once.  But most people (nine out of ten, in fact) agree it's the inferior album.  I also have a good single from them.  It's all on Touch and Go Records.  So yeah, you need to get Spiderland.

I would have to say earlier Modest penis is heavily influenced by Built to Spill, but they've definitely made their own name and sound.  I don't hear it as much on the Moon and Antarctica

Who is on Metropolis?  And yes, I agree, Matador is pretty consistent.

Quote from: "arkabee"
Lot's of interesting stuff
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
modest penis
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2004, 05:20:58 am »

Quote from: "arkabee"
...and when i went to pay i asked if they had more cd's and the clerk was all "they are a cool band from kentucky and you've never heard of them hah hah hah".


Record store clerks.

I once offered a girlfriend of mind, who had recently gotten a job at Tower Records, a Reward for every Record Store Clerk she punched directly in the face. She was too concerned with being Cool and Popular to collect, of course.

THAT OFFER STILL STANDS

Seriously. Give me proof that you have punched a smug Record Store Person in the Face and I will reward you. I love Music, too, but I have this weird sense that it should be personal and on one's own time and ground rather than a frustrating game of Credibility Catch-Up.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
modest penis
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2004, 06:26:05 am »

Quote from: "everyone"
Slint, THE BEST BAND YOU AIN'T NEVER HEARD.


Hahhahah.
Hahahahah.
A-hahahah.
This makes me very happy, because I am from Louisville, am in fact living here now. And Slint is the greatest band ever. I mean, partly because they're hometown heroes (I rent movies from the drummer, who now owns a video store here), but also because they're SLINT. Here's a little Steve Albini quote about them-
Quote from: "Steve-O 'Shrinking Violet' Albini"
Only two other bands have meant as much to me as Slint in the past few years and only one of them, The Jesus Lizard, have made a record this good. We are in a time of midgets: dance music, three varieties of simple-minded hard rock genre crap, soulless-crooning, infantile slogan-studded rap and ball-less balladeering. My instincts tell me the dry spell will continue for a while- possibly until the bands Slint will inspire reach maturity. Until then, play this record and kick yourself if you never got to see them live. In ten years, you'll lie like the cocksucker you are and say you did anyway. Ten fuck*ng stars.

And basically every band to arise from the ashes of Slint were great....I'm sorry, I'm fanboying up. But GOD DAMN. I love that band.

Ha, Zart, you're still awesome.

EDIT: Sorry for being an asshole and making Zart want to punch me. But living in New York, coming from Kentucky, invites a lot of "har har you wear shoes?" jokes, and every time somebody made that joke, I could go home and listen to Slint and My Morning Jacket. I'm a tad sensitive.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
modest penis
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2004, 01:31:28 pm »

no, i like mr. neil's music.  no, really.

http://www.metropolis-records.com/
i'd say they are to industrial as matador is to indie.  sure, matador had rap and electronica, but it's rap and electronica that fits on matador.  now, say the same hting but say "metropolis".

obviously i am totally swayed into thinking metropolis is the bee's knees because they are releasing new Front 242 album/ep stuff.  and Front 242 is the bestest band ever.  But, they also carry wumpscut, cEvin Key, Front Line Assembly (ok, ok, yes.  but they're like _candy_.  yummy industrial _candy_ that is going to make me sick 2 hours later, but damn it's _candy_ man.), and shit they even have some Bauhaus stuff.

it's like they are fans of the genre, and in addition to trying to find new bands to put out that they'd like, they also gobble up some oldie's but goodies to put out too.

but, anyways, i've got a couple of their samplers, and they generally have some pretty good bands.  if you like that sort of thing.


who isn't sensitive about their shoes?
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

V-Adore

  • Guest
modest penis
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2004, 10:10:00 pm »

I hate to allude to the original topic of the thread, but I heard "Float On" on the radio today for the first time. I like it; yes, the lyrics are repetitive, but in a way that builds up a nice rhythm, and I like the content of the lyrics themselves. They've got that sense of zen optimism which I've long tried to cultivate, albeit with remarkably little success.
Logged

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
modest penis
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2004, 07:12:00 am »

I've been reading this thread for a couple days.  y'all have now made me want more built to spill albums (I just have 'Nothing Wrong With Love' and 'Ancient Melodies of the Future') and a slint album (I have heard 'good morning, captain' which I like)!  I almost got a slint album tonight with this credit I had somewhere, but sadly it went over, so I got something else.

As for Modest penis... I wasn't keen on wanting to listen to them when I first got into the whole indie music thing... someone even kept recommending I buy Moon & Antarctica, but I was skeptical!  suddenly, this year, someone I trust for about 99% of my recommendations said they liked tracks 2&3 from the new album enough to play them over and over again thus I bought it.  it is pretty good, but yeah, I still don't find them good enough to make me extremely excited... just nice catchy tunes to put on every so often.  I sort've hold it in the same respect as Air's new effort.  take what you will of that.  heh.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
modest penis
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2004, 03:03:04 pm »

OK.
I am getting Spiderland by Slint to see what they're like. Anyone rated that high I have to check out.
Modest penis I am still fairly sure from the talk that I will dislike, but I may check them out later too. I saw talk of them somewhere else yesterday though, may have been someones Soulseek share directory actually, but they only had one track from iTunes so I didn't bother.

Slint I have hope in, as I have discovered a few bands in the last few days I have liked.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

sailor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 301
    • View Profile
modest penis
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2004, 06:10:43 pm »

Ok, well i guess it's about time i chime in here. but i'll keep it brief.

Modest penis: one of the best bands ever. really. so they're hometown heroes to me, so what. if you haven't given them a serious try, do it. but start w/ lonesome crowded or long drive, which is my favorite and prolly the best era. move on to moon and antartica, which is more mature, as far as songwriting, recording, and thematically. Good news...is also great, but is a big departure from the standard penis sound. Sad Sappy Sucker, the collection of really early stuff, is good if yr a fan, weird if yr not, and btw/ SOUNDS NOTHING LIKE BUILT TO SPILL. ok.

side note: the girl i had a huge crush on in high school denied me because she had an even huger crush on isaac, who she knew well thru her older brother. years later i am still friends with her, but never lay off her for a second about having a dumb rockstar crush at 16. cos i'm bitter.

Built to Spill: loved em. rad. Doug is killer. but...they haven't done anything i've really dug for a long time.

Slint: buy spiderland. it is essential. fuck i wish those guys didn't break up
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

Noah

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 200
    • View Profile
modest penis
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2004, 08:46:00 am »

Spiderland is so good
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
modest penis
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2004, 06:38:31 am »

Quote from: "Noah"
Spiderland is so good


THE RACE TO ONE HUNDRED POSTS CONTINUES

A HUGE BATTLESHIP
"HIPSTER"
IS APPROACHING FAST
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
modest penis
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2004, 06:47:16 am »

Quote from: "Noah"
Spiderland is so good


Those guitar notes. They're so good.

Today, David Pajo, ex-guitarist for Slint and Zwan, and sole member of Papa M, came into my work. Because I am a dork, I sat him 20 minutes before he was supposed to come up.

NO INDIE ROCK STAR IS GONNA SIT AT THE BAR IN MY RESTAURANT.

And of course karmatic payment dictated that I would have to clean some fuckers explosive diahrreah off of the toilet, toilet seat, toilet brush and the surrounding walls later on in the day.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
modest penis
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2004, 12:00:18 am »

That must be the guy who kept writing to Ray!
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
modest penis
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2004, 02:14:00 am »

Sorry to resurrect this thread but somebody just gave me Spiderland from Slint for my birthday and I don't get it. I don't know what I was expecting but this really strikes me as an album I might never listen to again.

Now the Built to Spill CD they gave me is another matter. Ditto for the Future Soundtrack for America (except the Yeah Yeah Yeah's song? Who the hell decided that recording was album quality?).
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
modest penis
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2004, 04:23:15 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Sorry to resurrect this thread but somebody just gave me Spiderland from Slint for my birthday and I don't get it. I don't know what I was expecting but this really strikes me as an album I might never listen to again.

Now the Built to Spill CD they gave me is another matter. Ditto for the Future Soundtrack for America (except the Yeah Yeah Yeah's song? Who the hell decided that recording was album quality?).


Spiderland is one of the best albums ever, but hey, maybe it's not for everyone.

What Built to Spill CD did you get?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
modest penis
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2004, 07:55:43 am »

Oh, because this is back up, I just wanted to mention that I saw Modest penis. And it sucked upon a dick. Oh, it sucketh mightily upon the balls of goats. And why? The f'in crowd. Asshole drunken aggro wannabe-frat boys and their wasted asshole girlfriends. I really liked the crowd better when they were beating me up in high school, instead of spilling beer on my shoe and claiming I was checking out their girlfriends. The few times that I was able to actually pay attention, it was great. But....
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up