Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit? - Nabu

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: modest penis  (Read 17316 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

TALKYdude

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
modest penis
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2004, 08:47:41 am »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Oh, because this is back up, I just wanted to mention that I saw Modest penis. And it sucked upon a dick. Oh, it sucketh mightily upon the balls of goats. And why? The f'in crowd. Asshole drunken aggro wannabe-frat boys and their wasted asshole girlfriends. I really liked the crowd better when they were beating me up in high school, instead of spilling beer on my shoe and claiming I was checking out their girlfriends. The few times that I was able to actually pay attention, it was great. But....
I love Modest penis's cds but I know exactly what you're talking about. I saw them in a small venue (less then 300 people) and it was all obnoxious frat boys. And they didn't play very well either, they seemed to be listless. I left halfway through the show and felt kind of bitter about it. I still like the cds though, and I hope to see a good penis show one of these days.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
modest penis
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2004, 01:13:25 pm »

I got Keep It Like a Secret and There's Nothing Wrong With Love, IIRC.

I guess I expected Slint to be weird in a Pixies, Soul Coughing, early OK Go kind of way. But it reminded more of Radiohead with tiny quiet lyrics.

Oh, and I was listening to wnrn.org the other day and they do the craziest thing for radio. They fuck*ng identify the god damned songs they play! What a surreal concept! Shitty commercial broadcast radio, I'm looking at you!

Anyway, so they actually IDed the Franz Ferdinand song that for months now I thought was Modest penis. This changes my opinion of both bands.

Also, finalists for the Shortlist were announced and there are a few dandy acts on there. (For those who don't know the Shortlist Prize can only be awarded to albums that rock yet did not sell enough copies to go gold.)
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
modest penis
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2004, 07:51:20 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
I got Keep It Like a Secret and There's Nothing Wrong With Love, IIRC.

I guess I expected Slint to be weird in a Pixies, Soul Coughing, early OK Go kind of way. But it reminded more of Radiohead with tiny quiet lyrics.

snip

Anyway, so they actually IDed the Franz Ferdinand song that for months now I thought was Modest penis. This changes my opinion of both bands.


Kick ass, Keep It Like A Secret is one of the best albums ever.  As is all other Built to Spill records, excepting maybe their most recent album.

Yeah, I don't think you could draw much of a comparison between Slint and goofy rock.  I don't see see Radiohead connection, but it is more of a quiet weirdness.

What is your opinion of FF and MM?  I had the FF album, for a week.  I hated it.  The single was great, but even that got old after a bit.  But I understand I am in the minority by not liking the album.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
modest penis
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2004, 08:02:35 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Oh, because this is back up, I just wanted to mention that I saw Modest penis. And it sucked upon a dick. Oh, it sucketh mightily upon the balls of goats. And why? The f'in crowd. Asshole drunken aggro wannabe-frat boys and their wasted asshole girlfriends. I really liked the crowd better when they were beating me up in high school, instead of spilling beer on my shoe and claiming I was checking out their girlfriends. The few times that I was able to actually pay attention, it was great. But....


I haven't seen them in years, but way back in the late 90s, they were experiencing a slight surge in popularity.  The shows really started to suck at that point.  The all ages shows had a lot more annoying teenagers with cutesy MM shirts (and yes I was teenaged till 99)  and the 21 and over shows, I was told, had a lot of annoying drunk people dancing all crazy and pushing people and spilling beer.  But I thought their shows were hit or miss anyway.  Sometimes they just really sucked ass.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
modest penis
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2004, 08:39:05 pm »

Quote from: "miles"
What is your opinion of FF and MM?  I had the FF album, for a week.  I hated it.  The single was great, but even that got old after a bit.  But I understand I am in the minority by not liking the album.

See now I'm worried. I've only ever heard the Franz Ferdninand single. I think I'll try previewing the album at last.fm now that you've said that.

Or maybe I'll ride into DC and go to one of those record stores where you can listen to anything.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
modest penis
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2004, 09:38:42 pm »

I find Franz Ferdinand to be one of the worst relatively recent Indie Sensations.  They're no Fiery Furnaces, anyways.
Logged
goose means greedy

sailor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 301
    • View Profile
modest penis
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2004, 09:38:29 am »

MM shows have been going sleddin' fast downhill for awhile. Now that they've got a video in heavy rotation on mtv, it's over, as far as crowds. MM shows used to be hit and miss on account of how drunk isaac got before the show; now it's a struggle to ignore 90% of the fuckdumbs who attend. It ain't so bad here in the NW, cos every single mofo has loved MM since 97 and have appropo respect at shows. But take the newfound annoyance factor of mtv mall kids and multiply that by show-in-random-midwest-town-bullshit and yeah, arr, me hates ye.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
modest penis
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2004, 01:06:48 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
I find Franz Ferdinand to be one of the worst relatively recent Indie Sensations.  They're no Fiery Furnaces, anyways.

Note to self: look for Fiery Furnaces on eMusic and last.fm tonight.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
modest penis
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2004, 05:07:46 pm »

See, I'd never heard of Modest penis until this here thread.  I listen to the indie university radio stations, and the dj's are generally poor at being on the radio, and probably list off who they've played maybe about once every hour, then it's this long meaningless list, and they don't even bother with song titles, just all "track five, or maybe it was four..."  So then I went online, got the Float On video (can't play just music from anywhere at work, for some reason that's blocked in the office, but Launch music videos work fine) and I was like, "oh my god, I think I actually like this song!"  Flip to the next day, where I listened to the song maybe 8 times in a row.  I bought the "Good news.." CD, and brought it home.  Both my SO and I both liked it, and played it through twice.  Now the fact we both like it is crazy, cause my guy is all about the screaming punk music, and I'm all about folk music, and indeed this was the first non-folk music CD I've bought in well over a year.  We both had definitly heard Modest penis on the university station, but didn't know their name or any song names.  So we play it all the time now.  I was driving along a couple days ago when, I heard MM on the "wrong" station -turns out now the "all hits" station sandwiches Float On between Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake.  I like something they play on the regular radio.  How weird is that.

Also, I like the Franz Ferdinand song "take me out" anyone out there enjoying their albume, cause I almost picked it up, but I hate liking only one song, then finding out either a) the rest is shit or b0 everysong sounds exactly the same.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

sailor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 301
    • View Profile
modest penis
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2004, 05:57:31 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "andalucia"
I find Franz Ferdinand to be one of the worst relatively recent Indie Sensations.  They're no Fiery Furnaces, anyways.

Note to self: look for Fiery Furnaces on eMusic and last.fm tonight.


Don't bother. They sound a lot like belle & sebastian, a band which, for some reason, is loved by some by makes most people want to kill, including me.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
modest penis
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2004, 06:00:26 pm »

I love Belle & Sebastian with reckless abandon.  They took over where the Smiths left off.

If that makes me unhip, then unhip I shall be.

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
modest penis
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2004, 06:06:25 pm »

I just don't dig on the bum-out music like I used to.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
modest penis
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2004, 06:08:34 pm »

Quote from: "Va"
I just don't dig on the bum-out music like I used to.


But it is SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN that playing Belle & Sebastian, Morrissey, and Blur to your unborn child will make him or her a raving genius with no intimacy issues or unhappy thoughts EVER.

Isn't that worth it?  I mean, don't you even care about the health and well-being of your child?

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
modest penis
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2004, 06:24:49 pm »

Quote from: "sailor"
Don't bother. They sound a lot like belle & sebastian, a band which, for some reason, is loved by some by makes most people want to kill, including me.


That's odd... I like Belle & Sebastian and don't think they sound anything like Franz Ferdinand, who I believe pretty much entirely lack the all-important "twee" aspect.
Logged
goose means greedy

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
modest penis
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2004, 06:31:18 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
I mean, don't you even care about the health and well-being of your child?


I expect my child will be soothed and reminded of her tranquil days in the womb whenever she hears a deep male voice say "DOUBLE KILL".
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up