I just saw this tonight. I actually thought the scariest part was the two Marines chasing after kids at the shopping mall in the bad part of town trying to recruit them. Well, that and of course the often mentioned film of Bush sitting in the classroom the morning of Sept 11 - the closeups of his face while he's doing nothing, my God, just sitting there. Unbelievable.
I am not so moved by the people crying in the film because I feel too much manipulated by the filmmaker. I think he needs to lay off that stuff, if you do it too much it just comes off as cheap and using people. I think it's also time to lose the traditional M. Moore set piece - in this case, where he's running after congressmen trying to get them to sign their kids up for the army. You get the feeling that starting with Bowling for Columbine it got hard for Michael Moore to make a Michael Moore movie. He can't base whole scenes on important people refusing to talk to him anymore, because now when he knocks on the door, they all say, "Oh Hi Michael! Come in!"
And the thing is, he doesn't need to do that stuff. This was more like a real movie - not just him walking around with a cameraman following him, resulting in something you felt like you could have made yourself. And it was really quite brilliant in a lot of ways. He doesn't need that gimmick anymore.
Oh yeah, and I wondered when reading about it how this movie could be funny. But it was. Largely a sick sort of black humor but I guess if you're reading this messageboard, that's the kind you like.
Of course this is all the opinion of someone who sees maybe two movies a year so what do I know. And it was of course half an hour too long like every movie made nowadays but that's another story.