Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

I get so lonely up here. You never write, you never call.

sigh

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: help me decipher little nephew slang  (Read 7098 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
help me decipher little nephew slang
« on: July 27, 2004, 06:09:51 pm »

There are two big ones I am having trouble with:

'hoolies' which could be some kind of acronym or something, or just mean something along the lines of any of the things that sound like it here:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/browse.php?character=H&skip=6138

'blackberries' seems to be some kind of expensive lighting equipment? but I am not really sure...
Logged
[expletive deleted]

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
help me decipher little nephew slang
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 07:10:00 pm »

Hoolie just means hooligan - it's one of his down-nasty peeps.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
help me decipher little nephew slang
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 07:19:42 pm »

I'm with Dan.  I took hoolie to mean booze.  Perhaps it's derived from Albert K. Hool, the inventor of malt liquor.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

sleepless_medic

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 7
    • View Profile
help me decipher little nephew slang
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 07:20:22 pm »

Hoolies = hooligans.

Like jough sez; I registered just to reply, to make a contribtion after months of lurking, and somebody beats me to it. Drag.
Logged
Just normal stuff: hair, basic clothes and sometimes shoes but not too much

sleepless_medic

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 7
    • View Profile
help me decipher little nephew slang
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004, 07:58:12 pm »

On further reading, it does seem "hoolies" (alternately, "H.O.O.L.I.E.S.") refers to individual servings of ethanol.

Hooligans are often ethanol users, perhaps that is the connection. Like Cockney rhyming slang, but not.
Logged
Just normal stuff: hair, basic clothes and sometimes shoes but not too much

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
help me decipher little nephew slang
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2004, 08:06:00 pm »

I kind of ignore LN. I didn't like Lyle's blog at first because it was so chopped up and ugly but Lyle is like Umberto Eco compared to LN. But then who would that make Mr. Bear? I've cliched myself into a corner.
Logged

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
help me decipher little nephew slang
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2004, 09:00:19 pm »

In hoolie matters, it's all in the context.  How can it mean "hooligan" in the ways LN uses it?  Hoolie is beer, to be hooleyed is to be drunk.
Logged

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
help me decipher little nephew slang
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2004, 09:14:53 pm »

Whatever the origin of the word, his use of it makes me cringe.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

V-Adore

  • Guest
help me decipher little nephew slang
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2004, 09:46:45 pm »

I'm still trying to cope with "Tha' Dribbla!"

What weirds me out is the use of "billet," which I think is a real word but cannot be sure about, and his continual improvisation of new and strange slangy signoffs.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
help me decipher little nephew slang
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2004, 09:53:07 pm »

Isn't that French for "ticket"?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
help me decipher little nephew slang
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2004, 01:16:11 am »

I'm convinced that he's purposely making shit up just to make us feel old and out of touch. Like that one Calvin and Hobbes where Calvin invents the phrase "I'm phasing."
Logged

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
help me decipher little nephew slang
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2004, 04:16:52 am »

Quote from: "jough"
Isn't that French for "ticket"?

yes.

also, now I can read some of this blog. substituting beer for hooleys works about 75 percent of the time, allowing me to get something like a story out of most of these posts. man lil nephew is such a teenager. He makes me feel like an old man.
Logged
[expletive deleted]

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
help me decipher little nephew slang
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2004, 04:26:13 am »

As an actual teenager, I've got no problem reading his posts. It's like reading "A Clockwork Orange."
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
help me decipher little nephew slang
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2004, 08:13:30 pm »

As a French-speaking, Burgess-reading teenager, I find it not so difficult either.
Logged
goose means greedy

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
help me decipher little nephew slang
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2004, 09:05:18 pm »

Don't take it so seriously and it comes to you. The first poster had a problem with a term that was meant literally, I think..I assumed he meant blackberry wireless device...free your mind! Your ass will follow.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up