4. Saint Etienne, Soft Like Me. What really makes me dislike a song is when it could have been really quite good indeed if not for one bit of indulgence that fuck*ng ruins it. In this case, the awful awful lyrics that are being rapped by some guest vocalist.
I agree about this one.. I always skip it after that first listen. I was thinking 'wtf?!'... really, on that album I mostly stick to the tracks with that butler guy at the beginning.. now, -achewood relating!- it reminds me of waterbury.. ahah.
---
As for my own picks (I've actually never thought about this, so I must go do some research with my collection.. please hold..... okay!):
1.
Berg Sans Nipple - stimulus plan b. it's basically just buzzing in and out... like a radio with mumbling. dj-ish. I just found it cringe worthy at first. I did find 'something' to like about it at one point.. that fact that the word 'corruption' is uttered somewhere towards the end, but I still find it hard to listen to despite how much I see how this song works on certain levels when this is SUCH a good album.
2.
Boards of Canada - You Could Feel the Sky. even the clips are better than this crap! really, I didn't even throw a big fit over it upon first listen till my mom walked in while it was playing one day and said it sounded like someone ripping a fart... and it did, so I can no longer listen to it anymore.
3.
Bonnie 'prince' Billy - A Minor Place. it's just a bad song to start the album with really... it's rather boring compared to all the other tracks, so I almost got disappointed in my choice in buying it on a whim. I calmed down once it ended and the real fun began.
4.
Cure, The- Close To Me. sorry, but I've never liked this song from the moment I heard it in middle school when it played over and over on the radio. probably why it took years for me to get into The Cure and become a fan around '99 since I heard
a letter to elise which changed my ways.
5.
Interpol - Say Hello to the Angels. this one is hard to explain since I think most people
do like it since it's different, bouncy, has a catch just like the others. really,
Roland should be disliked more since it doesn't have anything to make ya remember it. it's just that 'SHthA' just doesn't do it for me no matter how much I tried to like it.
6.
Knife in the Water - Nevada Spider. this is still one of my fav. bands (people gawk at me just for sayin' this thinking 'you have shown how good your tastes can be.. why?? you can do better than that!' ..ah well), but this song is just boring. sorry.
7.
M83 - In Church. an incident while messing about with someone.. it began playing then they asked me "have you ever wanted to do it in a church?" and I switched the song.
8.
Manic Street Preachers - The Intense Humming of Evil. really, it just creeps me the HELL out. it's weird that the album as a whole doesn't, but cause of the beginning clip, this one does. in fact, since it's rather late, I didn't even put it on to listen again cause I didn't want to get creeped out at this hour.. I'm already hearing weird noises.
9.
Radiohead - Street Spirit (fade out). this is probably sacrilege, but it's just the way it goes sometimes...
10.
Red House Painters - Song for a Blue Guitar. yes, basically the title track. this isn't even my fav. album by them, but see, the others I have are rather complete, so I cannot think of anything I dislike off of them. this track just..... doesn't do it for me. I think it's the girl dueting in the song; I'm not too big of a fan of duets in general -- later on, I did think maybe, just maybe I'd like it if it were by another band. when I first heard it, I didn't even want to hear another Red House Painters song, but good thing I was persuaded otherwise.
Speaking of duets....
11.
Tindersticks - Travelling Light. this one is almost laughable! especially when it sounds like they're arguing towards the end. "her: it's just a lie. you don't travel light. him: I'm travellin' light. her: no, you don't travel light. him: I travel light. her: no, no you don't travel light. him: I'm travellin' light. her: you don't travel light" hahahah. I much prefer their first s/t album since there isn't one duet on there (that I can remember... no, I don't think there is -- waits for a guy to argue with me about this and we can duet it).
14.
Spoon - Anything You Want. it's basically the piano tune is too cheesy which is amusing since my sheep song has basically the same simple keynotes yet my song is not cheesy! I guess the only saving grace is that it mentions 'sound exchange' at the end which I just noticed... well, they are a Tx band, so it would figure.
13.
Twilight Singers - verti-marte. actually, when I first noticed this song, it was while I was messing about with someone (yes another story), heard the 'ooooa ooooa's (not sure how to type out this noise) in the background and had to turn it off... cause of giggling. at some points it can be okay, but I still skip it for the most part though my mom said
that's just how the bird sings sounds like Simon & Garfunkel which made me want to skip that one, too (I don't mind some S&G, but I tend to dislike songs that sound like them; not that this one entirely does, but cause I was told it does).. it would probably be top hated if not for the weird occurence during a bad time with this track.
14.
Wilco - Less Than You Think. I actually do like it till the long ass droning begins way
less (hah!) than midway through which makes me skip it after the beginning each time. a disappointment. I hate most albums who do that droning thing where it seems there is no change till the end perhaps you get a 'click' noise or someone speaks or there's the sound of a car... I
hate this...
why?? (it also happened on a Carissa's Wierd album).
15.
Wrens, The- Indie 500. I just don't like the 'racing' piano sound -- it makes me think of hoss races.. I know that's part of the gimmick going by the title, but I just am not a fan. a close second would be
Hats Off To Marriage, Baby!.