Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

My Dog Has No Nose.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: It is not rad to like Creed! (split from 9 August Blogs))  (Read 3166 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
It is not rad to like Creed! (split from 9 August Blogs))
« on: August 12, 2004, 03:00:48 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"
Quote from: "CortJstr"

Like that concert where the fans sued Creed.

this is really true?  there is a god? santa does exist?

honestly, as much as i hate Creed, i'd have to say that being able to sue a band because they SUCK SO MUCH would, indeed, be a horrible precedent that my band (if ever formed in a near apologetic future) would never, ever be able to overcome.  sigh.  no cover of tiger meat for me.

My mistake, it wasn't Creed it was Limp Bizkit. But in my eyes they suck equally so I wasn't that far off.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
It is not rad to like Creed! (split from 9 August Blogs))
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 03:09:40 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "arkabee"
Quote from: "CortJstr"

Like that concert where the fans sued Creed.

this is really true?  there is a god? santa does exist?

honestly, as much as i hate Creed, i'd have to say that being able to sue a band because they SUCK SO MUCH would, indeed, be a horrible precedent that my band (if ever formed in a near apologetic future) would never, ever be able to overcome.  sigh.  no cover of tiger meat for me.

My mistake, it wasn't Creed it was Limp Bizkit. But in my eyes they suck equally so I wasn't that far off.


Actually, you were right the first time, Creed has been sued by their fans for being shitty.

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0%2C1%2C11668%2C00.html?tnews
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
It is not rad to like Creed! (split from 9 August Blogs))
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 04:47:33 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "the Creed article"
The suit contends that "during the Creed concert, Stapp left the stage on several occasions during several songs for long periods of time, rolled around on the floor of the stage in apparent pain or distress and appeared to pass out onstage during the performance."

You know, I can't blame him? Maybe he had a sudden attack of self-realization and deep, deep shame. I mean... I would, too.


You are so funny V-Adore!  That is awesome.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
It is not rad to like Creed! (split from 9 August Blogs))
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 05:01:03 pm »

Quote from: "that damn article"
Can you take Scott Stapp "Higher"? No, say some disgruntled Creed fans, so they're taking him to court.


....WHAT? That sentence makes NO SENSE! Perhaps if Scott Stapp told his fans to lift him off the ground for free money, and they tried, but he was too HEAVY, and they realized he was CHEATING somehow, MAYBE that line would make sense. As they could not literally "take him higher," they would be taking him to court.

What do they TEACH in journalism school?
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

V-Adore

  • Guest
It is not rad to like Creed! (split from 9 August Blogs))
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 06:24:05 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "that damn article"
Can you take Scott Stapp "Higher"? No, say some disgruntled Creed fans, so they're taking him to court.


....WHAT? That sentence makes NO SENSE! Perhaps if Scott Stapp told his fans to lift him off the ground for free money, and they tried, but he was too HEAVY, and they realized he was CHEATING somehow, MAYBE that line would make sense. As they could not literally "take him higher," they would be taking him to court.

What do they TEACH in journalism school?

I think it's a reference to the fact that the lawsuit deals with him being so loaded (i.e. "high") that he was unable to sing. It's still sort of lame, though.

(And I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, side_show. If not, thanks. If so, I apologize and realize that making fun of Creed is sort of like kicking a three-legged puppy... yet, somehow, you can't not.)
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
It is not rad to like Creed! (split from 9 August Blogs))
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004, 06:25:46 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "that damn article"
Can you take Scott Stapp "Higher"? No, say some disgruntled Creed fans, so they're taking him to court.


....WHAT? That sentence makes NO SENSE! Perhaps if Scott Stapp told his fans to lift him off the ground for free money, and they tried, but he was too HEAVY, and they realized he was CHEATING somehow, MAYBE that line would make sense. As they could not literally "take him higher," they would be taking him to court.

What do they TEACH in journalism school?


I'd imagine that they meant to suggest that Mr. Stapp failed to take his fans figuratively higher in the sense of musical ecstasy and whatnot.
Logged
goose means greedy

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
It is not rad to like Creed! (split from 9 August Blogs))
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2004, 06:32:22 pm »

Or perhaps a reference to their biggest hit, whose chorus revolves around the line "Can you take me higher?"  Am I the only person on the board who's actually heard the song?  Actually, don't answer that.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
It is not rad to like Creed! (split from 9 August Blogs))
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2004, 06:34:29 pm »

Maybe it was a request.  Like, you know, can you take him higher, say to the top of the Brooklyn Bridge or Annapurna.  Then drop him off.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
It is not rad to like Creed! (split from 9 August Blogs))
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2004, 07:31:00 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, side_show. If not, thanks. If so, I apologize and realize that making fun of Creed is sort of like kicking a three-legged puppy... yet, somehow, you can't not.)


While I was typing the not sarcastic compliment, I was thinking, how can I make this genuine, without incorporating the annoyingly overused "LOL," but rest assured, I did indeed LOL.  Indeed I did.  But now, what I've just typed comes off pretty sarcastic too.  Sigh.

Quote from: "Bozack"
What do they TEACH in journalism school?


I am currently working as a journalist, and know for a fact that the publisher/owner of the fine paper I work for doesn't even have a highschool education.  Nor do I or any of my fellow journalists have journalism degrees.

Quote from: "Limmo"
Or perhaps a reference to their biggest hit, whose chorus revolves around the line "Can you take me higher?" Am I the only person on the board who's actually heard the song? Actually, don't answer that.


I'll answer this indirectly then: I hope that there is a beautiful alternate universe where an alternate me hasn't heard that gawd aweful song.  I hate Creed so very much.  So very much.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
It is not rad to like Creed! (split from 9 August Blogs))
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2004, 07:52:34 pm »

My undergrad degree is in journalism.  See where that got me.  Sob.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
It is not rad to like Creed! (split from 9 August Blogs))
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2004, 08:13:48 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"
I'll answer this indirectly then: I hope that there is a beautiful alternate universe where an alternate me hasn't heard that gawd aweful song.  I hate Creed so very much.  So very much.


Line forms at the right.  

Creed.  The grunge version of Stryper.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
It is not rad to like Creed! (split from 9 August Blogs))
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2004, 08:16:38 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"
I'll answer this indirectly then: I hope that there is a beautiful alternate universe where an alternate me hasn't heard that gawd aweful song.  I hate Creed so very much.  So very much.

This just in: Even without Stapp, Creed still sucks.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
It is not rad to like Creed! (split from 9 August Blogs))
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2004, 08:36:00 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"
Creed.  The grunge version of Stryper.


Nah, only in the "Christian and Lame" aspect... I suspect  it will be a long time before it's feasable to enjoy Creed ironically.
Logged
goose means greedy

V-Adore

  • Guest
It is not rad to like Creed! (split from 9 August Blogs))
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2004, 10:18:06 pm »

Ah, that clears up the sarcasm point nicely. Thank you, then.

I almost didn't hate Creed right until "With Arms Wide Open," which was basically about how his wife was pregnant and he was going to do his best to raise his son to be a good person and not like him and KEEP SCHMALTZING IT UP BACK THERE, GUYS. This song was played approximately three times per session of radio listening for me, even if that session was ten minutes long, and so I quickly went from "I guess Creed is kind of okay" to "JESUS I'M GOING TO BEAT HIS HEAD IN WITH A TIRE IRON."
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
It is not rad to like Creed! (split from 9 August Blogs))
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2004, 10:18:31 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Nah, only in the "Christian and Lame" aspect... I suspect  it will be a long time before it's feasable to enjoy Creed ironically.


At no point did I ever imply that I enjoyed either band, ironically or otherwise.  Stryper are funny to think about, for maybe a second or two at random intervals, as long as you don't have to listen to them.

Creed resembled a horrible Moreau-style lab experiment, wherein Pearl Jam had U2's pomposity and Jim Morrison's fashion sense twisted into their DNA.  I don't think it will ever be possible to enjoy Creed.  

I think the only Christian rock of any kind I will ever be able to enjoy is this, and most Christians would recoil in sheer horror from it.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up