Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's sad thing: A reeking tweaker couple looking in the gas station freezer for "that pizza that was good in the microwave last time."

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: I typed "start." Nothing. Nothing! BEEP BEEP  (Read 16269 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
I typed "start." Nothing. Nothing! BEEP BEEP
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2004, 04:20:47 pm »

http://www.digitalriver.com/dr/v2/ec_Main.Entry?SP=10007&SID=40017&CID=0&CUR=840&DSP=0&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=0

i figure whatever novell ends up doing, it's probably going to suck horribly.  i hope it doesn't, but it probably will.

i think there's a good chance, though, that corporate will eat it up like hotcakes, and i think that would be a good thing though.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
I typed "start." Nothing. Nothing! BEEP BEEP
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2004, 04:28:16 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"

i figure whatever novell ends up doing, it's probably going to suck horribly.  i hope it doesn't, but it probably will.


What, you mean like NetWare, the gold-fuck*ng-standard for high-end networking for more than a decade, and well, STILL, in many applications.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
I typed "start." Nothing. Nothing! BEEP BEEP
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2004, 04:31:17 pm »

Things going yet worse.
When I try to enter any commands, it doesn't acknowledge them, it just brings up a new command line, sort of like how the Run Command option in the GUI seems not to do anything at all, just sort of fires commands off into the aether and makes my computer make a noise.  I can't even begin to understand why this might be happening.
I've tried to take sceen shots to show you what I've done, but apparently I can't, since programs other than this shitty browser rarely open.  Needless to say, I'm pretty frustrated.


Oh, also, arkabee, they're just IDE HDs.
Logged
goose means greedy

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
I typed "start." Nothing. Nothing! BEEP BEEP
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2004, 04:34:06 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Things going yet worse.
When I try to enter any commands, it doesn't acknowledge them, it just brings up a new command line, sort of like how the Run Command option in the GUI seems not to do anything at all, just sort of fires commands off into the aether and makes my computer make a noise.  I can't even begin to understand why this might be happening.
I've tried to take sceen shots to show you what I've done, but apparently I can't, since programs other than this shitty browser rarely open.  Needless to say, I'm pretty frustrated.


Oh, also, arkabee, they're just IDE HDs.


are you running a terminal window inside the GUI, or did you do <ctrl>+<alt>+<F1> to bring up a text psuedo term?

what type of noise? a beeping, or a grinding or what?
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
I typed "start." Nothing. Nothing! BEEP BEEP
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2004, 04:34:40 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"
Va- i don't know "cfdisk" so if you think it might get our partition table easier than "Fdisk" then run with it. fdisk, i know you have to toss it the path to the driveyou want to lok at (fdisk /dev/hda , fdisk /dev/sdb, etc).  if cfdisk doesn't need that, then let's try that, because i'm still trying to figure out that "/dev /ide /host0 /bus0 /target0 /lun0/ part1" path.


cfdisk is just a version of fdisk with (I think) prettier output.

Code: [Select]
cfdisk /dev/hda

should work.

That /dev/ide/host/blah/blah/blah is really the full path of the device file.  /dev/hda1 and so on are actually symlinks.  Go to /dev and do an ls -l.  That shit is all symlinks.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
I typed "start." Nothing. Nothing! BEEP BEEP
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2004, 04:37:01 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "arkabee"

i figure whatever novell ends up doing, it's probably going to suck horribly.  i hope it doesn't, but it probably will.


What, you mean like NetWare, the gold-fuck*ng-standard for high-end networking for more than a decade, and well, STILL, in many applications.


exactly.  

how long did it take novel to incorporate TCP/IP into netware, and did you ever try and use it once it did?

incidentally, you seem to have taken offense at the word "suck" used to describe a novell product?  i use it solely as a reference to the 1st law of computing:
All Hardware Sucks.
All software Sucks.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
I typed "start." Nothing. Nothing! BEEP BEEP
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2004, 04:45:45 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"
are you running a terminal window inside the GUI, or did you do <ctrl>+<alt>+<F1> to bring up a text psuedo term??


I've been using ctl alt f1/f7 to switch in and out of the gui.

Quote from: "arkabee"
what type of noise? a beeping, or a grinding or what?


Grinding-type noise.  The aforementioned BLORP.
Logged
goose means greedy

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
I typed "start." Nothing. Nothing! BEEP BEEP
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2004, 05:51:31 pm »

Quote from: "Va"


cfdisk is just a version of fdisk with (I think) prettier output.

Code: [Select]
cfdisk /dev/hda

should work.

That /dev/ide/host/blah/blah/blah is really the full path of the device file.  /dev/hda1 and so on are actually symlinks.  Go to /dev and do an ls -l.  That shit is all symlinks.


- cfdisk _is_ pretty. AND it doesn't need any flags passed to it.

- # ls -l hda
brw-rw----    1 root     disk       3,   0 Mar 23  2002 hda
 # ls -l cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            8 Dec 31  1987 cdrom -> /dev/hda

so, no, /dev/hd* are not necessarily symlinks.

i don't have /dev/ide on my SCSI server, nor do i see it on my friend's ide-based box.  both are SUSE linux, 2.4* kernels.

and i don't know anything about gentoo, but what kernel are you on?

ANDALUCIA!!! run "cfdisk" and copy and paste the screen that shows the partitions.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
I typed "start." Nothing. Nothing! BEEP BEEP
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2004, 05:55:55 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"
and i don't know anything about gentoo, but what kernel are you on?

ANDALUCIA!!! run "cfdisk" and copy and paste the screen that shows the partitions.


2.6.5
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
I typed "start." Nothing. Nothing! BEEP BEEP
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2004, 06:33:26 pm »

Quote from: "Va"
Quote from: "arkabee"
and i don't know anything about gentoo, but what kernel are you on?


2.6.5


ugh.  i wish it was "learn something new everyday" instead of "learn something new everyday because we just changed the entire underlying structure of the universe while you were asleep."  sigh.

incidentally, "fdisk -l" will list the partition table of, apparently, the disks that are being used.  

also, it seems /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc would be hda, while
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 would be hda1, etc.

now, what would hdb be?  why did they change this?  why use scsi terminology to describe ide devices???

if i have 4 HD's, Primary Master & Slave, Secondary Master and Slave,
Primary master would be
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc

would Pri Slave be
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/disc
?  it's on the same controller as Pri Master, so "host" _should_ be the same.  it's on the same bus, and i have no idea how you apply "lun"s to IDE.

so, then, Secondary Master should be
/dev/ide/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/disc
and Secondary Slave
/dev/ide/host1/bus0/target1/lun0/disc ????

did they do that to allow support for SATA drives?  or are so many people adding PCI IDE controllers that the needed more ease of use for more than 4 IDE devices????
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
I typed "start." Nothing. Nothing! BEEP BEEP
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2004, 07:07:28 pm »

And more to the point, why use "sda" and "sdb" etc. for USB removeable drives?

I plug in my bullet drive (is that a gig of memory in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?) into the usb and it shows up as "sda."  WTF?

Anyway, Linux is way more powerful and more configurable than any other common OS, but it sure ain't as easy as Windoze.  YET.

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
I typed "start." Nothing. Nothing! BEEP BEEP
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2004, 07:34:29 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Anyway, Linux is way more powerful and more configurable than any other common OS, but it sure ain't as easy as Windoze.  YET.


Windoze makes things "easy" by making sure you can't really do much of anything.  It's easy to make things "easy" that way.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
I typed "start." Nothing. Nothing! BEEP BEEP
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2004, 07:50:43 pm »

Is it "be simplistic" day in Alabama or something?

I'm no cheerleader of Microsoft, but MS opponents seem to overstate the problems with Windows.

The truth is that you CAN do a lot with it, AND it's easy to use (relatively).

I mean, what do you think I can't do on my windows box?  I do more work before 4AM than most people do all day, and I do it on a Windows XP box most of the time.

Yes, I do most of my web development on a LAMP box, but I still can't find an e-mail client I like as much as Eudora, or a photo editor that's as powerful as Photoshop.  GIMP?  Puh-leaze.

Plus, I like to listen to DVD commentaries while I do tedious coding and such, and any kind of CPU-intensive I/O in Linux is a bitch to get working right, and usually requires SOURCE CODE changes - it's nice that I *can* change things if I need to, but my 78 year old grandmother can MAKE CDs and edit photographs in Windows XP - Linux would give her a stroke - KDE's Windows-like GUI notwithstanding (I mean, it even has a Start Menu, and of course the "Redmond" theme is a direct homage to MS).

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
I typed "start." Nothing. Nothing! BEEP BEEP
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2004, 07:54:58 pm »

You're right, I'm an idiot.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
I typed "start." Nothing. Nothing! BEEP BEEP
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2004, 08:13:11 pm »

here's the thing i love the most about "linux" and hate about "linux":

~~~~ (note, this indicates a "Dream sequence", because the following transcript is made up.  however, i bet it's close to reality)

linuxdude1- hey man, usb is so cool.  when are we going to have drivers?

linuxdude2- stfuomg!!! do it yerself lamer!

linuxdude1- ok jerk, i will!!!

linuxdude3- no way dude, i will create the drivers be4 u do!!!

-- time passes

linuxdude1- hey man, look! i have usb drivers!!

linuxdude3- u suck ur mom.

linuxdude2- wtf!? why would i attach usb to /dev/hde??!?! are you on crack? you're a script kiddie.

/linuxdude1 cries.

-- time passes

linuxdude3- look, i have usb drivers!!

/linuxdude1 still crying

linuxdude2- cool! what's /dev/sd# for?? i've never used it on my mom's old compaq armada laptop!?

linuxdude3- um, it stands for Super Drive because usb is so cool!!

linuxdude2- neat!! let's get these to the kernel release team ASAP so everyone can start using them before someone who has any historical perspective looks at them and realizes we don't really know what we are doing in reference to the big picture!!

linuxdude3- i am the greatest hacker evar!!!

--- time passes

linuxdude4- you put usb in my scsi!!!

linuxdude5- your scsi got in my usb!!!

Mr. Torvalds- oy vey!


--

in other words jough, i have no idea why i would WANT to have my usb drive linked to a dev structure historically associated with SCSI devices.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up