Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I haven't had a haircut since July. I'm hoping to, "wait it out."

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Help! Wombat's musical mental illness  (Read 7091 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Help! Wombat's musical mental illness
« on: August 29, 2004, 05:42:09 pm »

OK, my name is Wombat, and I'm a Bruceaholic.

I have this terrible strange problem lately that the only music I want to listen to is Bruce Springsteen.  It's not Bruce in particular that's the problem, just the restriction to only one artist out of all the wonderfulness of the wide world of music.  I am perfectly happy in a sick way, but I am just enough in touch with reality to realize that I am missing so much.

Has anyone ever had a similar problem?  How were you cured?  Or does this not seem like a big deal?  Should I just figure it will run its course?  

Maybe I should also mention that right now I am planning on applying for a job in Cape May, NJ, that I think I might really want, and I have this idea that I should keep on listening to Springsteen exclusively, as a sacrifice to the gods of the Jersey Shore.  I'm sure if I just got that job, I could quit any time...
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Help! Wombat's musical mental illness
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2004, 06:43:47 pm »

I can't help you with your problem, but maybe you could tell me what guy it is that Springsteen is writing about that I am.

How's that for syntax?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Help! Wombat's musical mental illness
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2004, 07:08:02 pm »

I thought we already knew that you were the fat man sitting on a little stool at the entrance to the Tunnel of Love, who takes the money and hands over the ticket and whispers "good luck."

But you, the Jeopardy winner, could definitely be the one who was working 'neath the wheel till you get your facts learned, and got your facts learned real good right now.  Do you want to spit in the face of these badlands?

Or maybe you knew all that stuff because you found the key to the universe in the engine of an old parked car.

Oh lord, don't get me started.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Help! Wombat's musical mental illness
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2004, 08:35:42 pm »

Temporary musical addiction is nothing to be worried about. For a few years during college, when the summer months rolled around I would listen to nothing but Jimi Hendrix and Frank Zappa.  When the leaves started turning, I would go back to normal listening habits.  I also remember a few months in 1988 where I only listened to Prince.  

A sudden crippling Springsteen fixation is no big deal.  Roll around in Bruce for a while, it won't hurt you.  

And as someone who grew up in New Jersey, I can tell you this: you will need have some familiarity with the Boss or you may be unable to get a driver's license.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Help! Wombat's musical mental illness
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2004, 01:40:19 pm »

i, too, go through phases wherein i listen to only 1 "thing" of music.  "thing" may be artist, genre, label, whatever.

it passes.  eventually i will stop.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Help! Wombat's musical mental illness
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2004, 04:54:15 pm »

I am glad to hear that this syndrome is not unheard of.  And I think I understand now why it started with Bruce being the only thing I could listen to while driving.

After sending in that job application then, I will start studying for my New Jersey driver's exam.

Fill in the blank:

Knowledge of vehicles:
1. the skeleton frames of burned out ___
2. bruised arms and broken rhythm in a beat up old ___
3. crawl into my ____ your pulse is getting weak
4. barefoot girl sitting on the roof of a ____

Types of throughfares:
1. there's an opera out on the ____
2. sweat it out on the ____ of a runaway American dream
3. the _____'s jammed with broken heroes
4. we swore we'd live forever, on the ___

Multiple choice:

Proper ways to drive an automobile:
1. at night through mansions of glory
2.  to case the promised land
3. roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair
4. all of the above
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Help! Wombat's musical mental illness
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2004, 05:41:42 pm »

Chevrolet
Buick
ambulance
Dodge

Turnpike
streets
highway
backstreets

4

and I didn't even have my manual from the DMV handy.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Help! Wombat's musical mental illness
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2004, 06:16:22 pm »

I've gone through phases like this, although they tend to be fairly brief in nature -- I listened to The Spine on repeat with nothing else for a week, and now I'm carefully weaning myself off it. I sort of feel a Cake bender coming on, though.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Help! Wombat's musical mental illness
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2004, 07:00:38 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I've gone through phases like this, although they tend to be fairly brief in nature -- I listened to The Spine on repeat with nothing else for a week, and now I'm carefully weaning myself off it. I sort of feel a Cake bender coming on, though.

Wouldn't it make more sense to hold off the Cake bender until the new Cake CD comes out in October?
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Help! Wombat's musical mental illness
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2004, 07:08:12 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I've gone through phases like this, although they tend to be fairly brief in nature -- I listened to The Spine on repeat with nothing else for a week, and now I'm carefully weaning myself off it. I sort of feel a Cake bender coming on, though.

Wouldn't it make more sense to hold off the Cake bender until the new Cake CD comes out in October?

You are a very wise man, CortJstr. Indeed I shall, and instead I will find something else to musically overdose on. Perhaps Thomas Dolby, as much of a loser as that would officially make me.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Help! Wombat's musical mental illness
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2004, 07:25:10 pm »

I definitely go on music kicks, especially when I find a new style with a whole new group of artists I know nothing about, and listen only to that for a while.  I also have appallingly frequent Philip Glass kicks, i.e. currently.
Logged
goose means greedy

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Help! Wombat's musical mental illness
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2004, 10:30:55 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
I also have appallingly frequent Philip Glass kicks, i.e. currently.


I've started playing the Philip Glass soundtrack to Mishima lately.  There was a commercial that aired frequently during the Olympics which featured the first track off that album, and it made me remember what a great album it is.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Help! Wombat's musical mental illness
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2004, 01:09:08 am »

I have a terrible problem with that, but I think that it's related to my actual mental illness, bipolar disorder. Now that I'm on medications, it's gotten better, but I still go through periods where I get fixated on one type of food or one type of music.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Help! Wombat's musical mental illness
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2004, 11:43:15 am »

Limmo is my new internet crush.

I wonder what the road test is like?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Help! Wombat's musical mental illness
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2004, 03:06:55 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"
There was a commercial that aired frequently during the Olympics which featured the first track off that album, and it made me remember what a great album it is.


I'm not a watcher or Olympics, but that ad nearly made one of my Glass-obcessed friends cry.  Selling out and all, I suppose.
Logged
goose means greedy
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up