Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood If Twain were alive today, he would guffaw despite his benevolent befuddlement.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Help! Wombat's musical mental illness  (Read 7067 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Help! Wombat's musical mental illness
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2004, 03:28:20 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
Limmo is my new internet crush.

I wonder what the road test is like?


Right back atcha, Wombat.  The road test?  Hemi-powered drones may be involved, and if you wait to get caught at the Stanton light, you will lose points.

Quote from: "andalucia"
that ad nearly made one of my Glass-obcessed friends cry. Selling out and all, I suppose.


I'm encouraged that there are teenagers today so obsessed with Phillip Glass that they think he's selling out!  I'm amazed anyone your age even knows who he is.  Give your friend a Celexa and put Satyagraha on repeat, that should help.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Help! Wombat's musical mental illness
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2004, 03:34:43 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"
I'm encouraged that there are teenagers today so obsessed with Phillip Glass that they think he's selling out!  I'm amazed anyone your age even knows who he is.


Yeah, the strangest things caught on as trends within my pseudointellectual high-school group.  On track with the obcessive listening-to of things topic of this thread, has anyone else been in a group that had very noticeable collective phases?  Some of the ones I remember best are Philip Glass, Mahler's 4th Symphony, and The Doors of Perception.  What a pretentious bunch.
Logged
goose means greedy

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Help! Wombat's musical mental illness
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2004, 05:25:22 pm »

It is ALL ABOUT Philip Glass. ALL about him.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

V-Adore

  • Guest
Help! Wombat's musical mental illness
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2004, 07:24:58 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "Limmo"
I'm encouraged that there are teenagers today so obsessed with Phillip Glass that they think he's selling out!  I'm amazed anyone your age even knows who he is.


Yeah, the strangest things caught on as trends within my pseudointellectual high-school group.  On track with the obcessive listening-to of things topic of this thread, has anyone else been in a group that had very noticeable collective phases?  Some of the ones I remember best are Philip Glass, Mahler's 4th Symphony, and The Doors of Perception.  What a pretentious bunch.

I am in two Internet groups that tend to have weirdo collective phases. One involves Sylvia Plath, music by bands I have never heard of (Neutral Milk Hotel? The Dresden Dolls? SOMEONE HELP ME, I'M INSUFFICIENTLY HIP), and gulags (!). The other is more benign -- the occasional game/show fixation that runs its course and fits with the general zeitgeist of the place. So... yeah.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Help! Wombat's musical mental illness
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2004, 07:38:51 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I am in two Internet groups that tend to have weirdo collective phases. One involves Sylvia Plath, music by bands I have never heard of (Neutral Milk Hotel? The Dresden Dolls? SOMEONE HELP ME, I'M INSUFFICIENTLY HIP), and gulags (!). The other is more benign -- the occasional game/show fixation that runs its course and fits with the general zeitgeist of the place. So... yeah.


Man, you do not need to be hip to be into Neutral Milk Hotel: they have been a band that I have found to have a weird Ramones-like universal appeal.  Pretty much everyone is into them, some people just don't know it yet.
Logged
goose means greedy

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Help! Wombat's musical mental illness
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2004, 07:15:02 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"

Wouldn't it make more sense to hold off the Cake bender until the new Cake CD comes out in October?


OK. I only ended up here as I was going to mention that I had just had an urge to listen to Asbury Park, NJ again, as I think it (and as I hazily recall the followup too) is a fantastic album. It was the Boss at the height of his storytelling and music writing in my opinion... He got indulgent, the eighties happened after that!

But anyway, I had totally missed that there was a confirmed new Cake album happening, but was revelling in Comfort Eagle just yesterday and trying to find news of such a thing. Fantastic.

Anyway, that is all...
I'm just desperately procrastinating the continuation of a job application!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

V-Adore

  • Guest
Help! Wombat's musical mental illness
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2004, 07:20:33 pm »

On the subject of weird musical fixations: I've been spending pretty much a solid week listening to "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner." I'm almost certain this is really, really unhealthy.
Logged

sailor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 301
    • View Profile
Help! Wombat's musical mental illness
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2004, 04:05:48 am »

I've been a Modest penis addict since 99. Five years. Five years of not really wanting to listen to much else cuz i'm not gonna get my fix.

I know not of a cure.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Help! Wombat's musical mental illness
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2004, 09:53:07 pm »

Quote
I know not of a cure.


Listen to their newest album.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Help! Wombat's musical mental illness
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2004, 12:02:46 am »

Yeah, that comment may actually have been worth delurking to make.  I wholeheartedly agree.
Logged
goose means greedy

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Help! Wombat's musical mental illness
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2004, 02:49:31 am »

Quote from: "Mr Trout"
Quote
I know not of a cure.


Listen to their newest album.


Zing!!!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

sailor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 301
    • View Profile
Help! Wombat's musical mental illness
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2004, 09:02:03 pm »

Quote from: "Mr Trout"
Quote
I know not of a cure.


Listen to their newest album.


I actually think the first half of that album is damn good. as pop as fuck for MM, but good. i can't say the same about the second half. there are some songs on there that i can't help but skip over.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Help! Wombat's musical mental illness
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2004, 05:02:25 am »

I just felt it was a step backwards for them. I got really stuck on The Lonesome Crowded West for the longest time, I thought that no album could rock as hard as that one did. Then I really started to listen to The Moon and Antarctica and I loved how mellow and introspective it was. That CD really has a lot of depth. Then when I heard Good News For People Who Love Bad News for the first time my immediate reaction was how they went back to their roots but without the character and originality that Lonesome had.

I dunno, maybe I should give their newest stuff more of a chance. It might start to grow on me. God knows many of my first impressions of great CD's have been wrong as fuck (Big Black is a recent example of this. I started to listen to their stuff again after being turned off initially and have actually liked it)
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Help! Wombat's musical mental illness
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2004, 05:50:35 am »

Quote from: "Mr Trout"
(Big Black is a recent example of this. I started to listen to their stuff again after being turned off initially and have actually liked it)


This is actually a result of Big Black rocking your mom.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

sailor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 301
    • View Profile
Help! Wombat's musical mental illness
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2004, 09:33:53 am »

Quote from: "Mr Trout"
I just felt it was a step backwards for them. I got really stuck on The Lonesome Crowded West for the longest time, I thought that no album could rock as hard as that one did. Then I really started to listen to The Moon and Antarctica and I loved how mellow and introspective it was. That CD really has a lot of depth. Then when I heard Good News For People Who Love Bad News for the first time my immediate reaction was how they went back to their roots but without the character and originality that Lonesome had.

I dunno, maybe I should give their newest stuff more of a chance. It might start to grow on me. God knows many of my first impressions of great CD's have been wrong as fuck (Big Black is a recent example of this. I started to listen to their stuff again after being turned off initially and have actually liked it)


well, people grow up and change and shit. when i first got a pirate copy of m&a (i'm from the northwest, and this place is pretty little, like, isaac is a friend of a friend, so i got it a few months before it came out, and yes i am trying so hard to be cool...) i was all shock and awe about how produced and digital it sounded. it took a month or so to really get past that and give it a real listen. at that point i did a thing such as falling in love.. same situation with GNFPWLBN; i was put off at first and grew to love it, or at least the first half. i dunno, i think MM will top my list for a long time.


'stad is a close second.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up