Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Have some dignity.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What's CortJstr listening to?  (Read 3430 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
What's CortJstr listening to?
« on: August 31, 2004, 04:50:53 pm »

How do you do that thing in your sig, anyway?
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
What's CortJstr listening to?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 05:05:31 pm »

It's connected to an online radio service I listen to at Last.FM.

You can also use it with various plug-ins that keep track of what you're listening to in Winamp/iTunes/foobar/etc.

I use it with the radio which has the unfortunate downside of reporting songs that I hate and would be ashamed to be associated with.

More details here.

I know I've seen other people with similar sigs through other services but you'd have to google them.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
What's CortJstr listening to?
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2004, 05:37:31 pm »

Hmmm, so do I just take the text from the PHP file and shove it in my sig box? But then it says my sig is too long....HMM.
Also, who wants to start an audioscrobbler group?
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
What's CortJstr listening to?
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004, 05:50:59 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Also, who wants to start an audioscrobbler group?


Good good, I've been on a massive group-joining binge there.
Logged
goose means greedy

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
What's CortJstr listening to?
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 06:09:14 pm »

Aight, our Audioscrobbler group is listed under "Websites," and is called "Underground Vinyl." You need member approval to join right now, so PM me and I'll add you, and then you can add others, and within 10 steps everyone on Earth will be a member and Jough will have to sell his kidneys for bandwidth when China gets Achewood-crazy and wants to talk.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
What's CortJstr listening to?
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 06:36:07 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Hmmm, so do I just take the text from the PHP file and shove it in my sig box? But then it says my sig is too long....HMM.
Also, who wants to start an audioscrobbler group?

No, you need to host the PHP file and the font someplace, preferrably in their own folder.* Then the sig box here would look like this:
Code: [Select]
Want to eat your cake and have it too? Try new Schröedinger's Cake!

[img]http://www.cortjstr.com/sig/scrobblersig.php[/img]

If you want to change the text (for example I added "GMT" to mine) you can do that inside the php file before you upload it.

Oh, and just so people know, last.fm and audioscrobbler are connected, so whatever you do on one is mirrored on the other. Except the fora, which are separate for some reason.

*The folder should have permissions set to 777
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
What's CortJstr listening to?
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2004, 06:59:34 pm »

Ahhh, kickass.
So guess what. Because I'm in this design and technology program, I get unlimited server space. Also, I get it forever, even after I graduate. I think I WILL be hosting this, mwahahaha.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
What's CortJstr listening to?
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2004, 07:43:21 pm »

Goddammit, I can't make it work.  I am upset.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
What's CortJstr listening to?
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2004, 07:54:45 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Ahhh, kickass.
So guess what. Because I'm in this design and technology program, I get unlimited server space. Also, I get it forever, even after I graduate. I think I WILL be hosting this, mwahahaha.

Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Goddammit, I can't make it work. I am upset.

Did you remember to change the folder permissions? That seems to be the most common error when setting up.

Also, if Bozack wanted he could host for everybody. One of the settings in the file is if other users can leech off of your bandwidth. You just need to add a username to the end of the link. Example:
Code: [Select]
[img]http://www.sample.com/sig/scrobblersig.php?username=Bozack[/img]
[img]http://www.sample.com/sig/scrobblersig.php?username=carlosdelvaca[/img]
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
What's CortJstr listening to?
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2004, 08:00:33 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"

Did you remember to change the folder permissions? That seems to be the most common error when setting up.


Nope, I got that one covered.
And yet my URL returns only blankness.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
What's CortJstr listening to?
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2004, 08:31:46 pm »

Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Did you remember to change the folder permissions? That seems to be the most common error when setting up.

Nope, I got that one covered.
And yet my URL returns only blankness.

OK. Try putting a copy of your php file up at that address, but name it .txt and I'll see if I can spot what's going. If that doesn't work you can PM the author who's pretty good about getting back to people.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
What's CortJstr listening to?
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2004, 08:46:48 pm »

Done.

I noticed that when I call the .php file in a browser, I can then view the source and it's got some HTML-lookin' crap in there.  Maybe it's some kind of default file-type bullshit added by my host.  I have an e-mail in to them.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
What's CortJstr listening to?
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2004, 08:57:27 pm »

Hmm. I don't see any obvious errors (no closing quotes, etc) so I'm not sure.
I could be a weird host thing. Maybe they have an old version of PHP or don't have the GD libraries installed.

Wait, nevermind. There must be an error in the file. I made a copy of the source you just provided and put it up on my site and it still shows up as all blank. And my host is clearly okay with my sig.

I have to head out right now but when I get home I'll poke through the code again and see if I can find the error.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
What's CortJstr listening to?
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2004, 08:59:10 pm »

You are rad, sir.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
What's CortJstr listening to?
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2004, 10:29:00 pm »

Now I'm confused. I tried your text file one on my site again and now it works. (Apparently I didn't save it right the first time, blame it on my being at work at 4:58).

Anyway. One last idea. Apparently the author made a small update to the script between when I started using it and today. So what I did is I used my older version as a template but stuck your name name in. So try putting this file on your server (rename it scrobblersig.php) and try that. If that doesn't work then I'd say the problem has to be with your host. Because I've tested it on my server and it definitely works.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up