I don't know, I'm basically sick of everything political. I'm in New York now, in the thick of the protests, and I was standing around Union Square waiting to buy weed, and I saw all of these protestors. You know what's sad? The one thing that depresses me the most about this whole convention thing is not the fact that New York is essentially bankrolling the co-option of tragedy, but the protestors. And I'm voting DEMOCRAT this fall! And I'm a teenager, too! These should be my people! But I really can't stand them. These people, mostly white upper-middle-class kids, came to New York to essentially agree with eachother. No delegate is going to see a "BUCK FUSH!" t-shirt worn by some Mumia-fan and suddenly switch to the Green Party. Everyone who lives in New York is already voting Democratic. What are the protestors doing here, other than making a shitty situation even worse for the people who live here? The best answer I've gotten is something about "solidarity," which I think translates as "we're here to jack each other off about how right we are." And every night the protestors all go party in some rich trust-fundians loft apartment, because when you're serving up allegations of an illegal war which has left thousands dead all day, you really want to go just have FUN at night!
I don't know. Maybe I'm a crotchety bastard. Maybe the protestors are serving as, as Limmo said, as the "low roads" for the Democratic party. Hell, no major media outlet is really covering that much of this stuff, because God forbid we don't find out the latest about Laci Peterson; maybe the protestors will force people to reconsider their opinions. But I doubt it. I get the feeling that everyone will just have their stereotypes refueled and walk away.
However.
I don't want this to get into a massive political shitfight, so let me just say this, in as non-partisan a matter as I can put it. I have an option of voting in New York, where my vote won't matter because the state is overwhelmingly Democratic, or in Kentucky, where my vote won't matter because the state is overwhelmingly Republican. But no matter how disgusted I get with our political process, I have to vote, and believe that my vote somehow matters, because without that simple idea, my political viewpoint would be a lot more cynical than it is right now, and I'd probably go into politics, and in 10 years the U.N. would have to launch an offensive against my evil stronghold of Latveria. I guess I'm going to vote for, really, selgiraffe reasons- I need to maintain this illusion.
Hey! A wandering, pointless post. Hit me in the face.