Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood You are on the Night Train. Five Hours have passed. Axl Rose is in the gym car. It's not what you expected.

Poll

Who ya like to rule the NFL this year?

Eagles
- 0 (0%)
Patriots
- 3 (10%)
Colts
- 3 (10%)
Panthers
- 1 (3.3%)
Seahawks
- 2 (6.7%)
Chiefs
- 1 (3.3%)
someone else
- 8 (26.7%)
jeez, who CARES?
- 12 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: September 09, 2004, 01:25:06 pm


Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: The Europeans call it "gridiron"  (Read 26871 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2005, 04:38:36 pm »

3-1 this week, you fuck smellers.  Was I the only one who thought the Jets would win - not just cover the spread, but WIN outright?

And I'd still take every time Favre and the Pack at home in January against a dome team without much momentum.  It took craptacular play from the Pack in the first quarter for the Vikings to come away with a win.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #106 on: January 10, 2005, 04:41:21 pm »

I'm sober now.

Here's a giant FUCK YOU to Marty. It's an old expression, but I must insist it's true: dance with them whut brung ya. Oh well, how bout them wild card teams, eh? Good luck next week, boys.

Oh, and also? I got my ass handed to me in Hold 'Em this weekend too. Plus I was drunk as a lord.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2005, 03:17:53 am »

I hate football.  

My birthday falls on Super Bowl Sunday this year.  

Weep for me.  

The best thing about my birthday this year is that between being 9 months pregnant and having promised my Mom we'd spend the afternoon together, there's absolutely no way I am going to be pressured into sitting around my in-laws' house reading the newspaper and politely refusing extra-hot southern-style chili while "the game" is on.  Fortunately, the Carolina Panthers didn't make it in this year, or I'd be right back where I was last year, 'cause Mom wouldn't miss her Panthers in a Bowl game, even for her only daughter's birthday.  
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2005, 07:10:05 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"
I hate football.  

My birthday falls on Super Bowl Sunday this year.  

Weep for me.

I can watch football but it's just so........s.......l........o.......w. The game itself takes like 15 minutes but it's on for 3 hours? Fuck that noise, I'll watch rugby or something.

Anyway, the commercials are good.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2005, 07:25:51 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "jldunston"
I hate football.  

My birthday falls on Super Bowl Sunday this year.  

Weep for me.

I can watch football but it's just so........s.......l........o.......w. The game itself takes like 15 minutes but it's on for 3 hours? Fuck that noise, I'll watch rugby or something.

Anyway, the commercials are good.


I enjoy football, as long as it's not the NFL and you are watching it with friends on a TV.  It is pretty slow, though.  The sports I enjoy most, soccer and baseball, are much better paced to me, though many people consider them to be boring.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #110 on: January 16, 2005, 08:42:48 pm »

Quote from: "miles"
(Football) is pretty slow, though. The sports I enjoy most, soccer and baseball, are much better paced to me


You are basically a wrong person. Baseball is positively glacial.

So NYJ beats SD by 3 in OT, and Pitt beats NYJ by 3 in OT. Asher, either SD isn't so bad, or Pitt is in trouble. I thought your boys were going to dump that game. Your lucky that Brien cannot kick field goals in important games.

As far as the Randy Moss thing goes, it just proves that people who play professional sports are more or less assheads for the most part. Look at Leonard Little, Bam Morris, Ray Lewis, Nate Newton, Jamal Lewis, Eugene Robinson, Mark Chmura, the list is endless (and those are just football players).

Note: Vikes are choking again. Man, that franchise is among the cursed.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #111 on: January 17, 2005, 12:24:55 am »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "miles"
(Football) is pretty slow, though. The sports I enjoy most, soccer and baseball, are much better paced to me


You are basically a wrong person. Baseball is positively glacial.


Baseball is a thing of beauty and a joy forever. Soccer is fun to watch if you know what's going on but horrible if you don't.

Why do people watch golf on TV? Talk about boring,
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #112 on: January 17, 2005, 01:47:38 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

Why do people watch golf on TV? Talk about boring,


exactly.

the only reason to put golf on on the teevee is to listen to the commentators.

sundays kick ass for naps.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #113 on: January 17, 2005, 01:52:20 am »

The big baseball strike started on my birthday. It was the bestest present ever. Teach them to pre-empt the Simpson.

I can watch hockey and rugby on tv though. And, for reasons that I can't explain, beach volleyball and motorcross. I think some childhood associations or something.

Can we all agree that Nascar is for suck? They aren't even stock cars anymore which would've at least been moderately interesting.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #114 on: January 17, 2005, 01:56:59 am »

My main spectator sports are pro football and college basketball.  I watch a little baseball.  I like listening to baseball on the radio.   Baseball was made for radio.  You can listen while you're doing something else, but still feel like you're not missing anything.

I love soccer.  I played soccer all through high school, college and law school.  I still play in my high school's alumni soccer game every year.  That being said, I cannot stand to watch it.  I feel pretty much the same about golf.  Like to play, but watching is pointless.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #115 on: January 17, 2005, 02:05:08 am »

Now, back on topic.  I was pretty impressed with Atlanta.  I hadn't seen them play all year, so I didn't really know what to expect.  But they certainly spanked the Rams (who were admittedly pretty weak for a playoff team.)  I was shocked by the Pats and Colts.  If you'd told me the halftime score would be 6-3 I'd have laughed my ass off.

Not sure what to think about the Stillers.  My initial take is that they just had a bad day today.  I still think this is going to be an all Pennsy Super Bowl.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #116 on: January 17, 2005, 03:47:14 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "miles"
(Football) is pretty slow, though. The sports I enjoy most, soccer and baseball, are much better paced to me


You are basically a wrong person. Baseball is positively glacial.


Baseball is a thing of beauty and a joy forever. Soccer is fun to watch if you know what's going on but horrible if you don't.

Why do people watch golf on TV? Talk about boring,


I can basically only watch football and hockey. All I was trying to say was that to say football is slow and then say baseball is better paced . . . well, It's like your favorite cliche about elapsed time.

Golf on TV blows.


BOT, I hope it's Pitt and Philly.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #117 on: January 17, 2005, 03:52:48 am »

If Pitt plays like yesterday, they'll get spanked.

I'm looking foreward to Eagles/Falcons, that should be good. I don't care who wins the game between Pitts and Pats, I think the NFC team will win the Super Bowl.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #118 on: January 17, 2005, 04:41:09 am »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
I can basically only watch football and hockey. All I was trying to say was that to say football is slow and then say baseball is better paced . . . well, It's like your favorite cliche about elapsed time.


It's not that it's faster, of course.  Just works better for me.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« Reply #119 on: January 17, 2005, 05:10:17 am »

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a dick (well, other than calling you a wrong person, that's pretty hard for me to defend) - I'm just a little angry because of the whole hockey thing. It was easier to endure when the Chargers were rolling.

I don't think anyone in the AFC did particularly well in this postseason, given that all the talking heads were saying the NFC was outclassed.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up