Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Have some dignity.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Blogs Thread, Week of 4 October 2004  (Read 5888 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Blogs Thread, Week of 4 October 2004
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2004, 07:51:40 pm »

That's good.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Blogs Thread, Week of 4 October 2004
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2004, 08:00:03 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
It's only about 5 miles from our house in Enchanted Lake.


We can only pray that Peter Pan continues to keep the nefarious Dr. Hook at bay.

I'm certainly not trying to insult you, Aloha. I just really like the fact that your house is in a place called Enchanted Lake. It would be better if it were Enchanted LAGOON, but what can you do?
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Blogs Thread, Week of 4 October 2004
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2004, 08:04:28 pm »

I am jealous, as I have never lived anywhere even remotely enchanted anything.

The closest thing we have in Philly is Manayunk - which ten years ago was a slum but is now very gay and very "upscale" and all built up with crappy semi-chain yuppie bistros.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Blogs Thread, Week of 4 October 2004
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2004, 04:47:48 pm »

Dude, Longwood Gardens!  It's ENCHANTING AS ALL GET OUT
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Blogs Thread, Week of 4 October 2004
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2004, 06:00:34 pm »

But no one LIVES in Longwood Gardens.

I also find all botanical gardens to be over-rated, but that is only because I don't like plants and trees and stuff.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Pat and Chinese Food
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2004, 03:40:27 am »

I think this is a great post, but it doesn't seem quite in character for Pat.  It's paranoid and all, but not self-righteously surly enough.  Good points, good writing, but I didn't believe it came from Pat.  This one probably belongs in Chris's blog.

I've pondered this question myself.  Why the hell can't you make a stir-fry that comes out like what you get at even the worst Chinese restaurant?

I have a theory.  I worked in a Chinese restaurant in college (I was an underaged bartender, it was a hoot.)  Here's my guess:  Higher heat + MSG + Corn Starch.

Higher Heat:  They had those stoves you see on the cooking shows occasionally.  The woks fit into a hole that flames shoot up out of.  I believe this allows the woks to heat faster and stay hotter.  Experience leads me to believe that these conditions lead to higher quality stir-fries.

MSG + Corn Starch:  These guys had like a 50 gallon drum of MSG in the kitchen.  I think it may have been half MSG and half Corn Starch which would explain how they thicken their sauces.

Everything else about the kitchen was pretty much the same as any other restaurant I ever worked in.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Blogs Thread, Week of 4 October 2004
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2004, 05:17:44 am »

Amen to the higher heat. I just bought a Wok cookbook so my stir-frys have started to resemble restaurant stuff.

In a Chinese restaurant they have this jet engine mounted under an iron-lined hole in the stove. A normal commercial restaurant stove makes something like 18,000 BTUs on average where your home gas stove maxes out at 12,000. On the other hand, Thermador makes a wok 'Jet burner' for commercial kitchens that makes 150,000 BTUs.

Flash cooking things is much easier with that heat; also in a chinese restaurant they have such incredibly seasoned woks (from daily use) that nothing sticks and everything cooks perfectly. I've been using my wok for 7 years and only over the past year or two has it finally developed enough seasoning to really make cooking in it fun.

Funny story: we used to go to this Chinese place in Morton Grove, IL on Dempster St. We would eat there and the food was good. Then we realized that the Chinese people who ate there (we saw very few non-Chinese eating there) ordered off a completely different menu that was all in Chinese, and their food looked different too. Unusual vegetables and dare I say unidentifiable animal products.

Pat - you may not WANT to know. STAY OFF THE BEACH, PAT!
Logged

Chris Onstad

  • Mr. Achewood
  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 119
    • View Profile
    • http://www.achewood.com
Re: Pat and Chinese Food
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2004, 10:49:27 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
I think this is a great post, but it doesn't seem quite in character for Pat.  It's paranoid and all, but not self-righteously surly enough.  


Pat has been quiet lately, holed up with a pair of hyperextended knees. Who knows what's been going through his mind. In Pat's room, it might well have been two months' worth of that bedroom scene in Apocalypse Now where Martin Sheen flips out and cuts himself on things.  

Also, I aspire to create a character as perfect as Dale Gribble.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Blogs Thread, Week of 4 October 2004
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2004, 02:00:54 pm »

Alton mentioned the heat thing on his squid episode. He recommended the burner from a turkey friar since it produces more heat than a home stove.

I eat a an indian place all the time and they'll let anybody order off-menu. Or at least they let regulars, even if we are pasty white.
Logged

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Blogs Thread, Week of 4 October 2004
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2004, 02:31:51 pm »

I've been eating at a local Korean restaurant so often that the waiter started suggesting off menu items to me that he thought I might like.  Just when I got in his good graces, they moved him to nights and hired a new lunchtime waitstaff which won't even bring me the Korean tea without warning me that it isn't like normal Iced Tea.  

At least they put out new menus this week that have a lot of the off menu items listed now.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Pat and Chinese Food
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2004, 03:17:57 pm »

Quote from: "Chris Onstad"

Also, I aspire to create a character as perfect as Dale Gribble.


I think you've created at least two and possibly three.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Silverberg

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 77
    • View Profile
Blogs Thread, Week of 4 October 2004
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2004, 07:00:19 pm »

Who in the world is Dale Gribble?
Logged

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Blogs Thread, Week of 4 October 2004
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2004, 07:11:26 pm »

Quote from: "Silverberg"
Who in the world is Dale Gribble?


He's the UN hatin' exterminator who lives near Hank in King of the Hill.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Blogs Thread, Week of 4 October 2004
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2004, 09:05:20 pm »

I had to google that one myself.  Not really a KotH fan, although I've seen it and the Dale character is hilarious.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Blogs Thread, Week of 4 October 2004
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2004, 09:08:05 pm »

I'm a fan of Boomhower myself. But that is an excellent ensemble of cartoon men.

John Redcorn doesn't get enough storylines.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up