Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Alright, America. I'm playing the underpants and pants game. If just for one more day.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: house shoe phenomenon  (Read 9062 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
house shoe phenomenon
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2004, 05:04:10 pm »

Yeah, cliché clothing is stupid.  

Chacun à son goût.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
house shoe phenomenon
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2004, 06:59:53 pm »

OK, so I realize I more-or-less live in a developing country but:

1) No shirts and no shoes in grocery stores and even some restaurants is A-OK here

2) Yes I've done it more than once although the Safeway in Kailua is actually too cold to not wear a shirt in

3) The standard footwear here is rubber sandals - flip flops - shower shoes - or "slippahs" in the local parlance. I can't wear them (long story) but it's either these or bare feet. Everywhere.

3A) Wearing slippahs or bare feet for most of your life makes your toes go like your hands with the big toe trying to go off to the side. Like cartoon feet. There are two kinds of feet here. Long thin feet with toes together (Surfah feet) and wide flat feet with toes spread out (hula feet).

4) Japanese tourist ladies have good taste in shoes. And very cute feet.

As for the other discussion; when I was in college the girls took to wearing boxers for #####. That was cute. I guess I could live with the pajama thing as well. Some of that is about projection: how would I feel if I were wearing that? Self-conscious people are more critical than non-self conscious people. I am positing that Va is less self-conscious and/or less self-critical than V-adore.

V, you mention public decency - does that mean you can see these girl boobs or genitalia? What's indecent about pajamas that's not indecent about, say, hiphuggers or low-slung jeans with the thong out the top? Or a halter top? The society in general is lax enough in terms of sexual expression through attire, and of course (most) colleges are going to be a step more liberal by nature.

Personally the less college girls wear, the happier I am. But that's just me. And it's just until my daughters are about 14. Then I'm shopping with Limmo at Ahmad's for the Modest Girl.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
house shoe phenomenon
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2004, 07:29:53 pm »

until i lived herebouts, i would always have called them slippers.  i'm tryin hard to be "learned about it" though.

here's my thing: slippers are not shoes.  if you step in a puddle, what then?

it's one thing to blow out a flip flop by stepping on a pop top, but slippers means a cut up foot and a tetanus shot.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
house shoe phenomenon
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2004, 08:47:25 pm »

John McIlwee is program director at NC State's University Theatre and a somewhat famous stage and movie costume and makeup designer.  Trick movies like "6th Sense" never get by him because he notices minute costuming clues immediately.  He knows clothes.  The comment of his that I always remember is, "The difference between kids today and the fashion when I was in school is that now it's okay to look ugly."

Basically, I say that if your form is visually appealing, then you can get away with a lot more.  If you're a beautiful college girl with nice feet and you like to walk around in flannel pajamas with no shoes, I'm all about it.  If you are a noticably overweight high school girl with a constant frown, my seeing you baring your midriff and sucking on a pacifier is going to darken my day.  Clothiers do make outfits for those of us (and I do mean us) with less than athletic figures and perfect jawlines.  We should be wearing these things.  No, pale redhaired psych-major, you are not Bogart.  Leave the fedora at home.

Personally, I should accept the fact that I'm not Don Johnson and shave every morning.  I'm not saying the beautiful people can get away with anything.  I'm just saying they have more to work with than I do and can choose from a range of looks that includes  sleepwear and three-piece suits.

The test: Go to a Waffle House at 2am.  If you're not the most attractive person in there, dress conservatively.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
house shoe phenomenon
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2004, 09:17:33 pm »

Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
The test: Go to a Waffle House at 2am.  If you're not the most attractive person in there, dress conservatively.


Pedro has a great deal of common sense.  I just wished to point this out.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
house shoe phenomenon
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2004, 09:23:26 pm »

Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
The test: Go to a Waffle House at 2am.  If you're not the most attractive person in there, dress conservatively.


That's setting the bar awfully low, Pedro.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
house shoe phenomenon
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2004, 02:15:45 am »

Quote from: "slink"
Then again, I've started walking around in a big trenchcoat... (a black version of Vash's from Trigun for the geeks).

Do you have the glasses to match? Because that would be awesome.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
house shoe phenomenon
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2004, 12:10:18 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"

Do you have the glasses to match? Because that would be awesome.


No. It is possible to get them though. I am not sure how much I suit JL style shades though, so I might not bother. It's not like I'm going all cosplay about   it, or I would have bought the red version of it... But they were such cool shades...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
house shoe phenomenon
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2004, 01:08:02 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"
I remember it because the girl was wearing brown velvet sweats with the word JUICY embroidered across her ass.


That is precisely the example I was going to use as the nadir of that particular clothing phenomenon.  I mean, in general I do tend to loathe my demographic group of teenage girls with a passion that can only derive from the fear that I am, in some way, ONE OF THEM, but Jesus Christ, people, look at garments before you put them on your body.
Logged
goose means greedy

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
house shoe phenomenon
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2004, 03:37:16 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
The test: Go to a Waffle House at 2am.  If you're not the most attractive person in there, dress conservatively.


Pedro has a great deal of common sense.  I just wished to point this out.


But what's common sense about going to Waffle House at 2am, no matter if you're in a tux or naked?
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
house shoe phenomenon
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2004, 04:25:38 pm »

We have no waffle houses up here, but I've been to the one in the Triangle Research Park and I was most certainly the best looking man in the place.  This is not much of a boast.

Yet I dress conservatively.  Go figure.

Sometime in the early 90s it became clear that I was never going to out-punk-rock anyone, despite my best efforts.  So I started dressing ultra-conservatively as a means of being so far out there that I had come around the other side and was dressed conservatively again.

Like when you're playing Miss Pacman and go through the center left door and come out on the right - basically my attire is like a warping of the time-space continuum.

Also, today's post is brought to you by WORDS WITH TWO CONSECTUTIVE U's.

Take a bow, VACUUM.

Blow the pretty ladies a kiss, RESIDUUM.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
house shoe phenomenon
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2004, 04:40:58 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "CortJstr"

Do you have the glasses to match? Because that would be awesome.


No. It is possible to get them though. I am not sure how much I suit JL style shades though, so I might not bother. It's not like I'm going all cosplay about   it, or I would have bought the red version of it... But they were such cool shades...


Oddly, I've always sort of subconsiously associated you with Vash.  I think it's the way you're sort of cool without really meaning to be, and rather in spite of yourself.  :)  But seriously, when you mentioned the trenchcoat, before I even finished the sentence, I thought, "Oh, like Vash's, only black."  

Here's to spending *waaaay* too much time with you people!

Quote from: "jough"
Sometime in the early 90s it became clear that I was never going to out-punk-rock anyone, despite my best efforts. So I started dressing ultra-conservatively as a means of being so far out there that I had come around the other side and was dressed conservatively again.


Except for the big black boots, right?  You still wear those, don't you?

Don't dissapoint me, man.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
house shoe phenomenon
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2004, 05:31:33 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"

Oddly, I've always sort of subconsiously associated you with Vash.


...And the way I manage to break things, thouroughly and often!
It's pretty awesome though, to have that association in someone's head. Excellent!

Quote from: "jldunston"

Except for the big black boots, right?  You still wear those, don't you?


Glad to see I'm not the only one with the visions of Jough spit polishing his boots at night, while devising new methods of electrical torture for the spies he captured infiltrating the guardhouse!
Those poor rottweilers...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
house shoe phenomenon
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2004, 07:55:12 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Like when you're playing Miss Pacman and go through the center left door and come out on the right - basically my attire is like a warping of the time-space continuum.


I love this analogy.  I often use it to describe a finite universe with no outer walls.  Still, if you wanted to be more hard core about it, you could say, "Like when you beat level 256 in Pacman and go back to level 1."

Hard core as an apple.  A playa who plays Scrabble.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
house shoe phenomenon
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2004, 01:52:40 pm »

Quote from: "Mantonio"

But what's common sense about going to Waffle House at 2am, no matter if you're in a tux or naked?


what's not common sense about going to Waffle House at 2am?  Please provide alternative dining choices for 2am.

Of course, the nearest Waffle House to me is about 45minutes, Huddle House or 2 local/"private" establishments are the Waffle House analogs.  Huddle House, incidentally, is like an "upscale" Waffle House, similar to how Perkins is "upscale" of Denny's.  And just as Perkins fails to offer actual value over Denny's in its attempt at "upscaleness", so does Huddle House fail.  When you are a 24/7 Short Order with the Grill in the Open restaurant, it is exceedingly difficult to have a lower grease quotient than any other 24/7 Short Order with the Grill in the Open  Restaurant.


Quote from: "jough"
We have no waffle houses up here, but I've been to the one in the Triangle Research Park and I was most certainly the best looking man in the place.  This is not much of a boast.


I have never spent much time in the Philidelphia area, but i'd noticed that in the Wisconsin and New England areas, that restaraunts wherein the grill is directly behind the counter are few and far between.  i've been in tn for about 10 years now, though, so these things may have changed.

Quote from: "jough"

Yet I dress conservatively.  Go figure.

Sometime in the early 90s it became clear that I was never going to out-punk-rock anyone, despite my best efforts.  So I started dressing ultra-conservatively as a means of being so far out there that I had come around the other side and was dressed conservatively again.


Bow tie or "regular tie"?

Slacks more often than jeans?  Lots of sport coats?

Quote from: "jldunston"

Except for the big black boots, right?  You still wear those, don't you?


my ability to "clean up nicely" is highly underdeveloped.
i have been told on many occassions that black boots, no matter how polished, are not "dress shoes" and should not be worn with a suit.

can someone explain why?  is it necessary to show off dress socks in order to be "dressed up"?
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up