Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Fnord.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Magical Sex Blokes Vol. 8 - 14 October 2004  (Read 15860 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Magical Sex Blokes Vol. 8 - 14 October 2004
« on: October 14, 2004, 07:10:04 am »

Maybe Onstad will add the funny later.

Chris Onstad

  • Mr. Achewood
  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 119
    • View Profile
    • http://www.achewood.com
Magical Sex Blokes Vol. 8 - 14 October 2004
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 07:17:35 am »

Bless you Joe
Logged

Acanthopagrus

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 42
    • View Profile
Magical Sex Blokes Vol. 8 - 14 October 2004
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 11:25:50 am »

I like the way they have a conversation about dinner
while being obviously transfixed by the horrible porn that they are watching.
Logged
keh?

filas

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 61
    • View Profile
Magical Sex Blokes Vol. 8 - 14 October 2004
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 11:35:54 am »

i read white ninja comics.  a lot of them are funny for what you might call "face value."  i think this is one of those comics.  i mean, i liked it when i read it.  there's lyle watching brit porn for homework, it's just going on, and then teo and lyle carry on normal life as though there isn't foreign porn on the terebi.  i don't know that it is gonzo porn, but it's polite and some guy keeps yelling "oi!"  that's funny, dudes, sometimes these are my favs.  
plus, i got to send this link to my friend who has been in london for a few years and she was laughing (laughing via email, such a bittersweet way to enjoy her humor...i mean humour).  i'm sure that wasn't the intention behind the comic - so that some jerk could send some broad overseas the strip and they could guffaw - but eff it.  

another great comic was "louis, phone caw."  man that one stuck with me forever.  the far side was one of the greatest strips.  there's this run in the bay this weekend that called such as "run to the far side" and people dress up in such as far side characters and i don't completely understand...but on the banner underneath the name of the race was the legal print "the far side is a registered trademark of..."
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Magical Sex Blokes Vol. 8 - 14 October 2004
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 11:44:50 am »

Quote from: "jough"
Maybe Onstad will add the funny later when he's done beating his wife.


*sigh*

Jough, there you go again ...  :roll:
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Magical Sex Blokes Vol. 8 - 14 October 2004
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 12:18:35 pm »

Quote from: "Chris Onstad"
Bless you Joe


I for one gladly welcome our new Magical Sex Bloke Vol. 8 t-shirt masters
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Magical Sex Blokes Vol. 8 - 14 October 2004
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2004, 12:49:37 pm »

Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"

*sigh*

Jough, there you go again ...  :roll:


Yea, I have changed my mind about this... I was listening to Bill Hicks last night, the Chicago gig where some 'drunk cunt' starts heckling him, and he loses it... And I understand why.
I mean, if someone is performing on stage in front of you, you don't yell out 'you suck'. And posting to say 'well that was so not funny' is really not much better...

*sigh*


I liked it too anyway.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Magical Sex Blokes Vol. 8 - 14 October 2004
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2004, 03:40:14 pm »

I found it hilarious. And topical, for me at least: there's a t-shirt at this place in St. Marks that has "OI! OI!" on it in big red letters, and then a white line drawing of a pair of running boots. Now, when I saw this, I decided I must have it, simply because a white American pseudo-Catholic art-student wearing a t-shirt that is at least a pro-English-Working-Class statement and at most some sort of hideous skinhead concoction, while living with a gay man and a Jew, would be something I could laugh about, alone, in the dark. However, fear of being seen as a massive Nazi was bothering me, until I started asking people what they thought, and soon learned that even my most socially conscious schoolmates have no idea what "oi" means, or why it, along with a pair of boots that might be stomping, might be bad.
What do you guys think? Nazi or Notse?
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Magical Sex Blokes Vol. 8 - 14 October 2004
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2004, 04:09:47 pm »

Quote from: "slink"

I mean, if someone is performing on stage in front of you, you don't yell out 'you suck'. And posting to say 'well that was so not funny' is really not much better...


Well, it's not like I'm going over to Onstad's office and heckling him while he's working.  If you haven't noticed, this is a message board for the purposes of DISCUSSING and posting thoughts on the Achewood comic (as well as other sundry topics).

We've been over this before.  Onstad's posting here doesn't really change the purpose of the board, which is to discuss Achewood.  I'm not going to only post how great everything is when it really isn't so great, and no one here should let Onstad's presence bully them into praising an unsuccessful strip.

I don't complain or suggest that people are retarded when they post that they liked a really weak concept.  I just figure chacun à son goût and move on.

There have been better strips that used this exact premise (people talking casually about something mundane while watching something ridiculous on the tele - I'm sure CJ can provide links) and some of them were funny.  I didn't think this one was funny or interesting enough to be up to par with the rest of the Achewood canon.

Formica

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 205
    • View Profile
Magical Sex Blokes Vol. 8 - 14 October 2004
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2004, 04:40:10 pm »

It reminded me of the perfectly honest conversation about pornography, to a degree. But mostly I'm just happy to see Lyle's gonzo exploits actually make it off the blogs and into the strip. Hell, it's just nice to see Lyle again. He is awesome.

Not the funniest, but not bad, either. As opposed to, say, Beef and his stupid fuck*ng asinine "such as" habit, whose use I believe could be used as a court defense for temporary insanity. "Your honor, as you can see from the alt text..."

This, naturally, will just cause 'stad to have an entire week of Beef using it at every oppurtunity, in every panel, until Achewood fandom is reduced to a slavering, violent mass firmly divided on the subject of Beef's pathetic (or quirky and charming, if you believe the filthy, craven lies of the unwashed) verbal idiosyncracy.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Magical Sex Blokes Vol. 8 - 14 October 2004
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2004, 05:16:34 pm »

This is just funny enough in concept that I'm willing to forgive it basically doing nothing with that concept. Also, "Magical Sex Blokes" is basically a hilarious title insofar as it conjures (npi) the image of Harry Potter gonzo porn.
Logged

Steve Hogan

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 167
    • View Profile
    • http://www.steve-hogan.com/
Magical Sex Blokes Vol. 8 - 14 October 2004
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2004, 06:18:39 pm »

DON'T A BLOKEAPHOBE
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Magical Sex Blokes Vol. 8 - 14 October 2004
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2004, 06:44:03 pm »

Quote from: "jough"

Well, it's not like I'm going over to Onstad's office and heckling him while he's working.  If you haven't noticed, this is a message board for the purposes of DISCUSSING and posting thoughts on the Achewood comic (as well as other sundry topics).


I know, I know. I was just saying I've changed my mind after realising that Bill had every right to blow up when some woman yells that he sucks during a show is all. And I know that we need to be able to discuss the weaker ones. It's stupid if you just can't mention the bits you don't like...

I guess it just comes down to tact. Oh dear...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

filas

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 61
    • View Profile
Magical Sex Blokes Vol. 8 - 14 October 2004
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2004, 07:32:06 pm »

Quote from: "Formica"

Not the funniest, but not bad, either. As opposed to, say, Beef and his stupid fuck*ng asinine "such as" habit, whose use I believe could be used as a court defense for temporary insanity. "Your honor, as you can see from the alt text..."

This, naturally, will just cause 'stad to have an entire week of Beef using it at every oppurtunity, in every panel, until Achewood fandom is reduced to a slavering, violent mass firmly divided on the subject of Beef's pathetic (or quirky and charming, if you believe the filthy, craven lies of the unwashed) verbal idiosyncracy.


woah.  personally i love it.  but what i really love is that it seems to be simply substituting "such as" in place of where normally "like" would be used improperly.  what a great way to clean up your language!  cleaning up dosn't sound like it would come from the unwashed.  ya big bologna.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Magical Sex Blokes Vol. 8 - 14 October 2004
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2004, 07:41:12 pm »

Yeah, I've got no problem with the "such as", I don't especially notice it one way or another.  Worrisomely, this may be because it's close enough to a construction that could enter my vernacular, which does admittedly tend towards awkwardness in that manner.
Logged
goose means greedy
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up