Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's Kim Jong-il Fact™: North Korean state media reports that Kim routinely shoots three or four holes-in-one per round. (Wikipedia)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: I voted today!  (Read 18065 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
I voted today!
« on: October 26, 2004, 07:45:47 pm »

Dunno if/when/how the rest of the country's doing it, but here in Georgia we're allowed to go to the county election office this week and vote early. Basically, I filled out an application for absentee ballot, and they gave me an absentee ballot, which I traded in for an electronic voting machine (EVM?) card.


Now here's hoping Diebold doesn't fuck us all up the ass with a pitchfork.


Anybody else?
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
I voted today!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 08:19:12 pm »

My office gives us an hour off on election day but I'm considering going in Thursday to beat the crowd then leaving work an hour early Tuesday anyway.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
I voted today!
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 08:36:18 pm »

Wow, it's frustrating to be observing this with the knowledge that I can't make even the relatively nominal contribution of a vote.  (I canvassed during the last Canadian election, which I couldn't vote in either, but that's quite a different game).  Things are even noticeably tense around my school, which apparently has vast quantities of Americans.
Logged
goose means greedy

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
I voted today!
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 08:40:05 pm »

i've had my "i voted" sticker since last week.

let's hear it for still believing in chad technology! let's go west tennessee, let's aim to achieve!

seriously, though, these new-fangled electronic voting machine systems scare the beejeezus outta me.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
I voted today!
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2004, 08:43:27 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"
seriously, though, these new-fangled electronic voting machine systems scare the beejeezus outta me.

The worst part for me is that every time I vote they explain to me how a touch screen works, the difference between "OK" and "Cancel" and what the Back button does. It adds like 10 minutes per person to the process every election.
Logged

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
I voted today!
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2004, 08:57:23 pm »

I'm a voting official this year.  I'll be putting in a 12 hour day at the precinct fire house.  I encourage everyone to vote early if you can.  It's a lot easier on your county.

Our system is neither computer nor chad.  Our ballots have little arrows with the middles missing, if you want to vote for someone, complete her arrow.  Machine counting is unbelievably accurate, and the people that do it wrong generally make understandable marks that can be easily hand counted.  (They'll circle a candidate or something stupid.)
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
I voted today!
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2004, 09:17:23 pm »

Aw, hey, this is cheating.  We're all supposed to go out and vote on the same day like one big happy family.

Really I'm just jealous that I can't do it where I live.  What I really miss is when I had an excuse to vote absentee ballot. I always preferred take-home tests.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
I voted today!
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2004, 05:35:48 pm »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
I kinda admire that, Pedro.  Here's hoping you get free donuts delivered!


Thanks!  They do give us money, but not much.  JL has promised to bake cookies.  I'm looking forward to it.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
I voted today!
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2004, 04:54:45 pm »

I'll be voting here at work (right on the Arctic Ocean, some of the farthest north US voters). However, in Oregon, everybody votes by mail. I'm still registered in AK, but that'll change after this one.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
I voted today!
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2004, 05:14:05 pm »

I was intrigued, I saw that they have blocked access to Bush's site from outside the US. Now, they claim it's for saving money and making sure it stays up, but it does highlight the 'no one else matters' point of view of the Republicans (and Democrats to a large extent).

Best though, is the advert they were trailing on georgewbush.org, which said Kerry is unfit to be President for he is a Jew... Hmmmmmmmmmmm.
Zieg fuck*ng heil Mr. Bush, Sir!

I know, I know, but come on, it's just too funny!

Also, this is the website that features this text:   An inspiring celebration of America's greatest ever 21st century President.
Ah, I want to live on that site. It is so fine:

"He was sworn into office by the Rehnquist Supreme Court on January 20, 2001, after a campaign in which he unveiled inspiringly unspecific plans to never ejaculate in the Oval Office, transform America's public schools into Protestant madrassas, bestow the budget surplus on our patriotic defense contractors, transform Social Security and Medicare into vague memories, and systematically shatter the wall separating church and state."
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
I voted today!
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2004, 05:16:42 pm »

It's cool to live in a country where the leader is Satan.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
I voted today!
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2004, 09:32:56 pm »

Two little ranty bits of info:

1. One hundred thousand civilians have died in Iraq due directly to coalition violence according to a survey that discounted Fallujah (which is nothing but violence right now), and asked two households in every neighborhood for actual death certificates to make sure people weren't just making shit up.  One hundred thousand innocent people.  That's 9/11 times twenty (to quote Team America.)  Guess who I'm blaming when I cast my absentee ballot?

2. Safe Haven Laws - I never knew about this.  In North Carolina, like many states, it is legal for the parent of a newborn baby to walk up to a policeman or medical professional, hand off the baby stating that they would like the child to be cared for by a safe haven, and leave.  The professional cannot demand their name, and they cannot be prosecuted.  This is to prevent children from being abandoned and to prevent unprepared parents from being prosecuted for leaving their child (an irresponsible act) in a responsible manner.  I think that's awesome.  Why don't more people know about this?  We should be making all sorts of public service announcements.  How's a law like this going to save babies unless the sixteen year old mothers at the wits' end have heard of it.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
I voted today!
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2004, 03:33:19 am »

Ky passed one of these last year.  It was an uncharacteristically enlightened thing for our legislature to do.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
I voted today!
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2004, 04:59:47 pm »

I did my duty yesterday after work.  It was a very long line, but it moved fast and I was in and out in about 30 minutes.  

I voted my first ever straight Democratic ticket, and I got violently ill yesterday evening.  I'm not sure if the two events were related, but I have my suspicions.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Moderator
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
I voted today!
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2004, 08:23:07 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Ky passed one of these last year.  It was an uncharacteristically enlightened thing for our legislature to do.


Yeah, especially since the main thing that pushed me to overnight my Absentee Ballot was the single non-candidate choice on the KY ballot, asking whether or not we should consider a "Protection of Marriage" amendment. But I payed the money (my fault for being the Worlds Laziest Absentee Voter) and sent that baby in. Too bad it's a drop of Kerry-vote going into a massive Bucket of Bushwater.

I formally apologize for that analogy.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up