Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Okay, Okay, enough of all that. New strip Wednesday afternoon. "  See, we shoulda took bets.

Poll

What're you doing for Thanksgiving?

A big family dinner.
- 8 (57.1%)
A quiet evening at home.
- 3 (21.4%)
A coke-fueled orgy at Studio 54.
- 1 (7.1%)
I'm Canadian/English/from Tongo, you insensitive prick.
- 2 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: November 24, 2004, 06:23:01 am


Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth  (Read 6834 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
« on: November 24, 2004, 06:23:01 am »

Hey, what're all of you American board-members doing for Thanksgiving? As I am currently shoving shit into a backpack so I can make a 6 am flight from JFK, this is currently on my mind. I'm heading back to old Ky, for a family thanksgiving, the happiness of which depends entirely on: a)whether my mom's facial reconstruction surgery went well, and b)whether my one-legged, psychopathic pseudo-uncle who insists we call him "Stumpy" comes by. There's nothing like being home for the holidays!
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 01:26:47 pm »

Goin' to the in-laws out in the country.  Gonna eat turkey, watch football, try to get other relatives to watch my daughter for five goddamned minutes, and try not to let my being colossally bored show too much.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2004, 01:52:21 pm »

Driving a half-hour to my parents. Eating salmon and probably beef. Maybe playing some Five Crowns. Then concerts.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2004, 01:54:56 pm »

Going to my parents.  Both my Dad's sisters are coming and my brother is coming up too.

I'm grilling a turkey tomorrow in the a.m.'s.  Making my trademark sweet potatoes tonight and Susan Stamberg's cranberry relish.  As with all family gatherings where my wife and mother are involved there will be a)way too much food and b) lots of champagne.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2004, 02:05:29 pm »

1.   Waiting for my American friends to come back home so we can huddle outside an arena waiting for the Pixies show.  
2.   Pixies.  
3.   Pixies afterparty; god bless you school-paper press passes.

Turkey?   Who needs it.
Logged
goose means greedy

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2004, 02:38:17 pm »

My SO has to go in to work for a few hours in the morning (why yes, her job does suck ass, thanks for asking), so my plan is to have most everything started by the time she comes home.  I'll be brining the turkey breast tonight (no need for two people to eat a whole bird, and one of us only eats the white meat anyway), and I should probably make the onion rolls and bleu cheese dressing as well.  Then, tomorrow afternoon will be filled with much eating, drinking, and probably some video-watching.

Family-free is the Thanksgiving for me.
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2004, 03:10:23 pm »

I'm Canadian, so we already had Thanksgiving.

For fun, when friends tell me "Happy Thanksgiving" I oft retort: "Have fun celebrating the raping and pillaging of my people!"  It always gets a laugh - if you can't have a sense of humour about the arrival of genocidal maniacs, who can you have a sense of humour about, eh?  

I actually love celebrating the harvest, coming together, sharing, eating and spending time with family.  This year was an especially nice Thanksgiving as I had my own little harvest this year from the garden we built: Wax Beans, Tomatoes and Spaghetti Squash (14 Squash!!)
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2004, 03:18:30 pm »

My dad is driving up from Florida for a visit.  We're having Thanksgiving dinner on Saturday so that my best friend and her fella can join us.  I'm making Ruuuude Chicken, smashed potatoes with roasted garlic, green beans, cornbread, and pumpkin cheesecake.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2004, 03:28:18 pm »

I can't even remember what day it is. Today? 24th?
Maybe going round to a mate's house to steal things off him. Probably playing Half Life 2. I know we dont even have it in this country, but it amuses me since I'd be doing the exact same thing were I to live in the US.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2004, 03:45:31 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
Maybe going round to a mate's house to steal things off him.


So for you today will be Thanks-taking day.  Steal me up somethin' good will ya?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2004, 05:43:26 pm »

Restaurant with my wife's family.  Her dad broke his leg in a stupid basketball-related snafu, and we STILL don't have a goddamned stove, so someone else will be doing the cooking, and we will pay them for it.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2004, 06:32:06 pm »

I'm at my SO's place in Boston, wherein we will have a semi-big family dinner with his folks and then spend the rest of the week doing nothing of particular interest. A good time, and preferably lots of sleep, will be had by all.

My parents are taking a road trip through the South, I think; when they called, they were in Alabama. I'm not totally sure why.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2004, 07:15:15 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"

My parents are taking a road trip through the South, I think; when they called, they were in Alabama. I'm not totally sure why.


Alabama: Come Visit, We Have Roads!


deep-fried whole turkey
to counter repressed feelings.
also burned rolls, too.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2004, 07:18:38 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
I can't even remember what day it is. Today? 24th?
Maybe going round to a mate's house to steal things off him. Probably playing Half Life 2. I know we dont even have it in this country, but it amuses me since I'd be doing the exact same thing were I to live in the US.


It's always the fourth thursday of November.

We always have a giant potluck at Church, about 75 people, several turkeys, a ham, lots and lots of vegetables and side dishes, tons of desserts. It's excellent.

Then I think we'll go see National Treasure.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2004, 08:13:51 pm »

Did you like "The Davinci Code"?  Because National Treasure has the same plot, only with clues on the dollar bill (never mind that the current dollar was designed last century and not by the founding fathers) instead of DaVinci works.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up