Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Note how white pepper, ground freshly into one's hand, makes it smell as though you've been rubbing your open palm around on a horse's anus.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: yummy.  (Read 4328 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
yummy.
« on: November 24, 2004, 02:40:04 pm »

so if you have the same first initial and last name as someone who might be on a list,
and you go to an airport they might pull your ##### down.

i especially like that the list is being given to rental car companies.  because they are obviously going to be efficient with it.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
yummy.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 02:52:41 pm »

this is beginning to make my head hurt.

milwaukee anecdote

so, they have a list.  a list of names.  names that, perhaps (benefit of the doubt), are used by known terrorists who want to blow shit up.

so, someone with that name gets an airline ticket.

ok, it makes _sense_ to check out that person.  i mean, maybe the terrorist whose name it is is the one who got the reservation for the ticket.  i definitely wouldn't want them on the plane with me, blowing shit up and all.

in fact, i guess i wouldn't want them at the airport with me, blowing shit up and all.

i mean, here's a terrorist, wanting to blow shit up and all, and they reserve an airline ticket.  in advance.

in advance.

they reserver an airline ticket, in advance, under a name that is on a list that airports and airlines and casinos and rental car companies and the TSA has and supports.

they reserve this ticket, in advance, with a name that is on a list that is held by the company that the ticket was reserved with.

and the company doesn't do anything until the person SHOWS UP?!


i think that's the part that makes my brain hurt.


they don't want to tell a potential terrorist, "i'm sorry sir/madam, your reservation has been flagged byt he computer, you'll need to come in at least 3 hours early for checkin" because then the terrorist will be"clued in" that they are "on to them"???  and go somewhere else??
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
yummy.
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2004, 03:38:06 pm »

Names and their associations are interesting.  When still working for Mastercard, I had the wife of a cardholder call in to order the form he needed to add her to his account.  His name?  Osama Bin Ladin.  Both the first and last name are fairly common, but take on powerful meaning now. I'm sure this poor guy's life has not been easy over the past couple years.  Can you imagine?

If you take my middle name and last name (both very rare, both with unusual spellings) you get the name of a distant relative of mine (everyone with my last name is related to me - we have a very, very small family tree), you get the name of a woman in France who is one of the leaders in the field of embryonic stem cell research.  I know we're fairly polarized here on the issue of abortion, so I won't get into the politics here, but with a name connection like that, perhap I'll need a bullet-proof vest when/if I visit Europe again.  Name conections are scary.  I also have a dead relative with my exact name from several centuries ago that we traced through geneological records, she was a nun and one of the few of my female relatives that we can trace back to the late 1700.  The only records are the date of her birth, death, and a single sentence fragment in French, which traslates into " lived a good and chaste life."  

If my life gets reduced down to a sentence fragment, I hope it's "shit disturber"  or maybe "fuck this bitch."
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

V-Adore

  • Guest
yummy.
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2004, 06:29:51 pm »

Vanity googling has revealed to me that the only other person with my exact name (uncommon variant of uncommon last name, dirt-common first name) in the world is a real-estate agent in South Africa. I feel sort of bad for her, as the Internet is so strewn with the wreckage of my teenage years* that she must get the weirdest shit when she googles herself.

* I say, from the lofty mountain on 21, as if I will never again put anything stupid on the Internet, ever
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
yummy.
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2004, 07:24:38 pm »

I have an arabic last name.

I'm as white as white can be.

I've only been singled out for special search one time, and that time I was flying on a ticket PURCHASED BY THE GOVERNMENT, and I was flying with a three year old.

I would have thought my name would get hits a lot more often then someone named Kennedy. Go figure.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
yummy.
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2004, 07:40:33 pm »

I share a name with an Australian jazz guitarist.

I have never been confused for him.  Nor, I suspect, he for me.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
yummy.
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2004, 07:56:29 pm »

My brother has the same name as the guy who held the NFL longest field goal record for many years.

Some guy with my name is in a band in New Mexico.  Also there was a fictional priest with my name.

Google is a wonderful thing.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
yummy.
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2004, 08:12:06 pm »

Man, no one has my friggin' name, so if I'm ever on a no-fly list it'll be because I'm exactly who I am.

However, my greatest flying offenses will be a slight and silent petulance when my mimosa is a few seconds later in arriving than my internal beverage-service clock believes it should be.

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
yummy.
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2004, 08:47:51 pm »

I think I am essentially ungoogleable.  My name is Virginia Warren.  There is a Warren County in the state of Virginia.  That about does it.  There is something that actually refers to me on the second page of results, but it provides very little information.  My name was much more uncommon before I got married.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Moderator
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
yummy.
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2004, 09:14:26 pm »

The first hit for my name on google is some digital illustrator on "ArtWanted.com," which kind of sucks, since that's close enough to what I might be doing in 4 years that we'll probably both start having a hell of a time getting jobs. Then there's a link to an article about me, then some dude who works in a baseball academy in Seattle, then a Mark Popham from a few counties over in Kentucky who, as a senior at Murray State, participated in the rodeo (riding bareback), a car dealership in England, some commentary on theForce.net, etc. For having a (supposedly) rare last name, there sure are a lot of me. The worst thing is how easily the digital illustrator, the rodeo guy and the star wars guy could be mistaken for me.
NOOOOOO.
However, I'm still the first result on Image Search!
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
yummy.
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2004, 09:17:15 pm »

Putting my name in quotes brings up only me. I was named for my great grandfather but he wasn't exactly burning up the interweb.

Most of the result are from a ZDNet story I was quoted in that was translated into like 17 different languages.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
yummy.
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2004, 10:32:34 pm »

Quote from: "Va"
I think I am essentially ungoogleable.  My name is Virginia Warren.  There is a Warren County in the state of Virginia.  


I spent my freshman and sophomore years of high school there.

does that mean we're related?
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
yummy.
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2004, 01:42:53 am »

Quote from: "arkabee"
Quote from: "Va"
I think I am essentially ungoogleable.  My name is Virginia Warren.  There is a Warren County in the state of Virginia.  


I spent my freshman and sophomore years of high school there.

does that mean we're related?


Hmmmmm, you gotta draw the line somewhere so I'm going to say...no.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
yummy.
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2004, 05:40:16 pm »

I actually got an email a while ago from someone who was googling a name they'd chosen for their yet-to-be-born child, wherein the first name was my first name and the middle name was my last name.  Man, do I ever pity that kid in advance.  
I think there are one or two other people with my name kicking around, which is fairly surprising, since both my names are relatively odd (particularly in combination), but mostly googling turns up hits for a Noel Coward character with my name.
Logged
goose means greedy

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
yummy.
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2004, 01:12:56 am »

My old name kicked back all sorts of people. The one I especially remember directed a video for Stephen Malkmus. My new name, which sounds (to me) more common, only returns one guy - a famous polar explorer.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up