Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Education.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: did you just pee all over the floor in here?- Nov. 26th  (Read 11593 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
did you just pee all over the floor in here?- Nov. 26th
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2004, 06:39:06 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "palm trees"
very holy jesus, american drinking is all crazy
it's pretty plain simple over here: off-licences sell alcohol of every kind to take away, pubs sell alcohol of every kind to drink in. both stop serving at 11.
you get late bars, and clubs, but there's nowhere to buy a 4-pack or anything after 11. which is gash.

Here they can't sell between midnight and 6am and can't serve after 1:59 (to prevent bars from staying open an extra hour for Daylight Saving). Oh, and a certain percentage of business (I think it's like 20%) must be food to keep their license.


Some places (I think Louisiana is one) have different licenses and some places stay open til 6 am. I was in a bar once until sunrise drinking heavily and it was all legal.

When I was in college, every year there were big parties that first weekend in November - we'd all be in the bar. They call last call at 1:30 and at 2:00 am the lights go up. Then this guy comes out and turns the big clock back, the music starts up again, the lights go back down, that bar gets going again. That was fun.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
did you just pee all over the floor in here?- Nov. 26th
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2004, 06:59:15 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Some places (I think Louisiana is one) have different licenses and some places stay open til 6 am. I was in a bar once until sunrise drinking heavily and it was all legal.


In Utah, it's illegal to get drunk at a bar, as I understand.  Bars have been fined for serving to drunk patrons, and the penalties are stiff enough that some bars have had to close down.  In addition to the fine a bar will have to shut down for some time, losing a lot of money.  There are actually state officials here that patronize bars undercover to look for such violations as serving to people who are drunk.  Also, you have to buy a membership or be a member's guest to go to a bar.  You can't go anywhere and just order a beer.  You either have to buy a membership at a "Private Club for Members" or order food with a beer or drink.  It's crazy here.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
did you just pee all over the floor in here?- Nov. 26th
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2004, 07:20:31 pm »

I think most places have laws where a person who is drunk can't be served. The membership thing, though, that always cracked me up. I went to Provo for a conference and I had to physically be off of the campus to smoke a cigarette. There were to large candy stores in the student union building, though. Them folks love their candy. In the interest of full disclosure, I should say that 99+% of my family is Mormon.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
did you just pee all over the floor in here?- Nov. 26th
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2004, 07:35:08 pm »

In Virginia the police have started going into bars around 1:30 and arresting people for being drunk in public. Which of course surprised a number of people who didn't realize that the inside of a bar was considered public.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
did you just pee all over the floor in here?- Nov. 26th
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2004, 02:11:31 am »

I'm not sure when bars around here close; I was in one with some folk until around 3, when they did last call; however, when the bar "closed," they just closed the door and told everyone they could start smoking.
Dang, that Utah stuff is nuts. I'm glad I live in a place where the police attitude towards drinking, etc., is basically, "Hey, as long as you're not shooting anybody."
Except for the smoking ban, but that was more of Dept. of Health.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
did you just pee all over the floor in here?- Nov. 26th
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2004, 03:08:46 am »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Except for the smoking ban, but that was more of Dept. of Health.


Oh man, I can't believe that New York has that, when drunken smoking is so lovely, and being able to get away with smoking pot at shows is pretty great.  Good thing Montreal has that wannabe-European complete acceptance of smoking.
Logged
goose means greedy

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
did you just pee all over the floor in here?- Nov. 26th
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2004, 07:07:39 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Oh man, I can't believe that New York has that, when drunken smoking is so lovely, and being able to get away with smoking pot at shows is pretty great.  Good thing Montreal has that wannabe-European complete acceptance of smoking.


I'm not a smoker, other than the ol' hookah, so I wouldn't really know. Smoking pot at shows is pretty cool (BONNARROOOOO OHHH FIVEEE). but I'm actually pretty cool with not smelling like smoke for a day after, as it is in Kentucky, where cartons of cigarettes are basically 25¢.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
did you just pee all over the floor in here?- Nov. 26th
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2004, 01:00:33 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
In Virginia the police have started going into bars around 1:30 and arresting people for being drunk in public. Which of course surprised a number of people who didn't realize that the inside of a bar was considered public.


What alternate universe NoVa are you living in, Jstr? I've seen people stupid drunk in Clarendon as a matter of practice.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
did you just pee all over the floor in here?- Nov. 26th
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2004, 01:42:32 pm »

I have to say, I dig the idea of a place where people aren't allowed to even get drunk in public. But then I keep spending time in Newcastle, which is renowned for it's drunken assholes wandering the streets problem. And, they're making all the bars there 24 hours... Saaaaweet.
As far as the whole public smoking thing (what with Ireland having it's ban on smoking in bars now, and much of the UK wanting to follow suit) I am unsure. I know it's not good and everything, but it is mostly when I am having a drink that I really crave a smoke. That said, I've just quit again, literally today. It's more of a habit than that clawing at the throat 'I have to smoke' feeling though now.
I definitely agree that it's nice to be able to pass off pot as a cigarette at gigs and whatnot. Then again, I think the stuff I get now is a little too pungent for me to attempt it now. Depends on the venue really. I guess at the end of the day I consider smoking in public much of a let-people-do-what-they-want thing. But then again if I'm in a quitted phase, I tend to feel a little differently.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
did you just pee all over the floor in here?- Nov. 26th
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2004, 02:03:24 pm »

Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
In Virginia the police have started going into bars around 1:30 and arresting people for being drunk in public. Which of course surprised a number of people who didn't realize that the inside of a bar was considered public.

What alternate universe NoVa are you living in, Jstr? I've seen people stupid drunk in Clarendon as a matter of practice.

It was mainly in Fairfax. Actually it might only have been in Fairfax. I just remember reading about it in the Post and a bunch of people at work were talking about it after it was on the news.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
did you just pee all over the floor in here?- Nov. 26th
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2004, 05:48:08 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
That said, I've just quit again, literally today. It's more of a habit than that clawing at the throat 'I have to smoke' feeling though now.

Seven and one half months! I'm rolling!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
did you just pee all over the floor in here?- Nov. 26th
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2004, 06:20:04 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "slink"
That said, I've just quit again, literally today. It's more of a habit than that clawing at the throat 'I have to smoke' feeling though now.

Seven and one half months! I'm rolling!


So. Um. Let's all just ignore that I said I had quit today. I found change down the back of the couch. And the clawing came back.
I will for sure try and quit soon though. I am kinda sick of smoking tobacco only 'cause I smoke weed. I need to get back to only smoking bongs so I don't use any tobacco and then it will be easy.
But kudos for the months! I managed to do so successfully twice for about that length of time, and it feels really good in the end just to not smoke.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
did you just pee all over the floor in here?- Nov. 26th
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2004, 06:34:32 pm »

Pennsylvania has a no-serving-drunks rule.  Specifically, it's illegal to serve someone who is "visibly intoxicated."  So if someone holds their liquor really well, you're off the hook.  We only exercised that specific right if someone was clearly out of control, and it was probably just as well to get them out of the bar.

"You know what, Bob?  You're FLAGGED!  Have a good night!"  Bob became apologetic mighty quickly.  Ah, memories.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up