Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's Kim Jong-il Fact™: North Korean state media reports that Kim routinely shoots three or four holes-in-one per round. (Wikipedia)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Linguistic/grammar question  (Read 12042 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Linguistic/grammar question
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2004, 05:26:50 pm »

neat.  i always thought "seriff" was an _Actual_Font_.

learn something new everyday.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Linguistic/grammar question
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2004, 05:41:34 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"
neat.  i always thought "seriff" was an _Actual_Font_.

learn something new everyday.

::Cort whooshes in with much flourish and cape flapping::

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serif

::leaves equally dramatically::
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Linguistic/grammar question
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2004, 05:44:59 pm »

I miss the ubiquity of Courier New on the Internet. Now it's all just Arial and similar monstrosities (maybe it's from reading Kibo too much, but I just cannot deal with Helvetica, at all, and other sans serif fonts have always bored me with their similarity). Bring back the serif, damn you!
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Linguistic/grammar question
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2004, 05:50:16 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I miss the ubiquity of Courier New on the Internet.


Courier New will always, for me, be the "we forgot to pick a font" font.

Also: no discussion of fonts is complete without two great heaping handfuls of hate for Comic fuck*ng Sans. DIPSY-DOO WHAT A RELAXED FUN EBAY AUCTION THIS MUST BE
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Linguistic/grammar question
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2004, 05:53:26 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I miss the ubiquity of Courier New on the Internet.

Courier New will always, for me, be the "we forgot to pick a font" font.

Also: no discussion of fonts is complete without two great heaping handfuls of hate for Comic fuck*ng Sans. DIPSY-DOO WHAT A RELAXED FUN EBAY AUCTION THIS MUST BE

Indeed. When AOL first added font choice I think 90% of IMs and chatroom lines showed up in comic sans because it was the most "fun" standard font.

You want fun? Then download a font like GroupSex or one of the ransom note variations.

When I was in college was had a TA who would knock off 5 points for using Arial, Helvetica, Times*, or Courier since there's no way they could fit the tone of the paper.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Linguistic/grammar question
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2004, 06:03:42 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"

When I was in college was had a TA who would knock off 5 points for using Arial, Helvetica, Times*, or Courier since there's no way they could fit the tone of the paper.


You did all rise up and slaughter this person and eat their brains, right?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Linguistic/grammar question
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2004, 06:04:24 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
When I was in college was had a TA who would knock off 5 points for using Arial, Helvetica, Times*, or Courier since there's no way they could fit the tone of the paper.


Umm... what would then?

I like Helvetica when it's large enough to be distinguishable from Arial, but mostly because I associate it with a design era and style that I enjoy.  
But yes, Comic Sans should die painfully.  I think all computers should be packaged only with sedate, "no-nonsense" fonts until people get a hold of themselves.
</pat>
Logged
goose means greedy

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Linguistic/grammar question
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2004, 06:07:40 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"

When I was in college was had a TA who would knock off 5 points for using Arial, Helvetica, Times*, or Courier since there's no way they could fit the tone of the paper.


Knocking off marks for font choice? Cripes.
I have to say, I use Arial quite a lot, but only as my on computer font. For any publishing work, we use Garamond (bought, proper Garamond sets that is). I have seen a remarkable number of people using Garamond in publishing of late.

And indeed, Comic Sans is the work of some sort of satanic organisation. Or Microsoft. Kind of synonymous.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Linguistic/grammar question
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2004, 06:16:08 pm »

you can change fonts?
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Linguistic/grammar question
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2004, 06:28:34 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
When I was in college was had a TA who would knock off 5 points for using Arial, Helvetica, Times*, or Courier since there's no way they could fit the tone of the paper.

Umm... what would then?

It depended on the paper. I wrote mine on how Cabell Hall ruined the flow and progression of The Lawn as Jefferson designed it. So I used a font that slightly scratchy and messy without entering KidPrint territory. In other words very functional and usefull just not classy or clean. I may have used Anson.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Linguistic/grammar question
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2004, 06:30:18 pm »

Can't you change display fonts?  Change it to Olde English 800 if you want!  I like Copperplate m'self.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Linguistic/grammar question
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2004, 09:29:39 am »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "Gimpson"
Is this considered incorrect?  I was taught to use the two spaces in school.  Is  two spaces just a relic from typewriter times?


Probably. When I was taught to use WordPerfect version whatever way the hell back in 1990, we had to put one space after commas, and two spaces after periods. I just fired up MS Word and tried it both ways, to see if it automatically corrected either one (thus suggesting some sort of agreed-upon standard) and it didn't.

I think two spaces in this day and age looks like a vast chasm of wasted space. Maybe it's due to advances in font technology or something.


Well, I'm writing a little paper right now.  I won't use only one space after periods, because I need the extra spaces to make it five pages, because my brain can only do so much.

I took a linguistics class a few years ago from David Bowie, originally of Maryland, but trained, I believe, at the University of Pennsylvania.  I don't remember whether we talked about the "needs washed" v. "needs to be washed" distinction, but he did talk a lot about linguistic issues in Pennsylvania, primarily among the Pennsylvania Dutch population.  It was a great class, and I'd like to take more classes from him, but I dropped out of that college, and he now teaches in Florida I understand.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Linguistic/grammar question
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2004, 03:15:52 pm »

David Bowie was an undergraduate student of mine when he was at Maryland.  The first day of class when I collected the sign-up sheet (I don't remember why I didn't have an official roster) I was sure someone was goofing around signing up fake names and the rest of the list would be like "Mick Jagger" and all.

And in his dissertation acknowledgments he refers to my dissertation acknowledgments, which were my favorite part of my dissertation (and probably that fact was some sort of foreshadowing of my present situation, now that I think of it.)

I know no one else cares, but I find this a wonderous small-world sort of thing.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Linguistic/grammar question
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2004, 03:49:27 pm »

I :heart: Courier New.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Linguistic/grammar question
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2004, 04:00:17 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
David Bowie was an undergraduate student of mine when he was at Maryland.  The first day of class when I collected the sign-up sheet (I don't remember why I didn't have an official roster) I was sure someone was goofing around signing up fake names and the rest of the list would be like "Mick Jagger" and all.

And in his dissertation acknowledgments he refers to my dissertation acknowledgments, which were my favorite part of my dissertation (and probably that fact was some sort of foreshadowing of my present situation, now that I think of it.)

I know no one else cares, but I find this a wonderous small-world sort of thing.


If it's the same one, that is pretty cool, but it may be that there is something of an epidemic... there was a David Bowie at my high school a few years before I went there and he did a mural.  I had always thought  by his signature that the mural was supposed to be of David Bowie, which would have been grossly inaccurate.  But no, it turned out he was just awesome.  One does have to wonder about the motives of his parents, though, since he would have been born after the "real" David Bowie, whose name wasn't in fact even actually David Bowie.

It is a complicated world.
Logged
goose means greedy
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up