Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Surprising fact: toothpaste is a complete protein.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Linguistic/grammar question  (Read 11992 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Linguistic/grammar question
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2004, 05:18:22 pm »

It's definitely the same one.

I seem to recall he pronounced his last name differently from the famous one - like the town in Maryland instead.  But that didn't help me when reading it from a list for the first time.

Can we get Va to name her next baby David Bowie WhateverVa'slastnameis?  After the one she's going to name Wombat when it's born on my birthday, of course.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Linguistic/grammar question
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2004, 05:54:48 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
It's definitely the same one.

I seem to recall he pronounced his last name differently from the famous one - like the town in Maryland instead.  But that didn't help me when reading it from a list for the first time.

Can we get Va to name her next baby David Bowie WhateverVa'slastnameis?  After the one she's going to name Wombat when it's born on my birthday, of course.


That is most excellent!  He pronounced it Boo-eee.  If that makes sense (I can't remember the IPA or whatever it's called, and I couldn't reproduce anyway on this this keyboard).  He didn't mind if we pronounced it like the rock star.  Was he a good student?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Linguistic/grammar question
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2004, 05:58:59 pm »

And maybe he got this from you, Wombat...

One of his little quirks was that he would always say "barring pathology, (for example) at such and such stage of human development, the child will learn this and exhibit that..."  It got to the point where if he didn't say it, inevitably a class member would add, after such a comment, "barring pathology, of course."  He said he got it from a professor.

He also, almost exclusively, wore collar-less woven shirts.  In fact, the only time I saw him with a collared shirt was when I visited his office on a day he didn't have lecture.

But anyway, small world, indeed.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Linguistic/grammar question
« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2004, 06:00:02 pm »

I took an excellent class in Transformational Grammar my senior year in undergrad.  It was my favorite class in my undergrad career.  A guy named Greg Stump taught it.  Any connection?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Linguistic/grammar question
« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2004, 08:33:46 pm »

Yes, that's the pronunciation.  Yes, he was a good student, I think I wrote him a reccomendation to grad school.  He wanted to be a sociolinguist, which was originally what I'd wanted to be when I grew up, and I remember telling him to go to Penn, to study with the person who'd done the work that made me interested in it. I don't remember anything special about his shirts at the time.

He didn't get that particular locution from me - I'll bet it could have been a Maryland syntactician, though.

Greg Stump only sounds vaguely familiar. I feel like I ought to know him but it's lost in the mists of all that stuff I am trying to forget.  Googling reveals him to be a morphologist, so not really of my tribe.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
Linguistic/grammar question
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2004, 12:01:19 am »

Quote from: "wombat"

Greg Stump only sounds vaguely familiar. I feel like I ought to know him but it's lost in the mists of all that stuff I am trying to forget.


Hearing that you don't want to do what you went to grad school for is the saddest thing.  By the time grad school was over, I'd ended up doing something different from my original intent, but I can't imagine wanting to forget all about my research....
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Linguistic/grammar question
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2004, 01:04:52 am »

It's really not that sad.  Doing any one thing for fifteen years (more if I count undergrad school) is more than enough.  It's a big world with too many other possibilities.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Moderator
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Linguistic/grammar question
« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2004, 04:14:04 am »

Quote from: "wombat"
It's really not that sad.  Doing any one thing for fifteen years (more if I count undergrad school) is more than enough.  It's a big world with too many other possibilities.


I've actually found that after 6 months of anything, I'm ready to shit and/or go blind. I'm pretty much destined to be a hobo.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Linguistic/grammar question
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2004, 06:43:56 pm »

Man! I have to shit, like, once a day! You are Rad!
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up