Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that the best way to sound like a noob here is to ask what the Tiny Cans of Dr. Pepper are about?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Hot guts - 20/12/04  (Read 7952 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Hot guts - 20/12/04
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2004, 04:08:12 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "Gimpson"
Quote from: "cellardoor"
Jethro Tull.


Rock flute.  BOO TO THAT!


Bon Scott played recorder in a band before he was in AC/DC - and I, unfortunately, have seen the video.


I should avoid this, because as far as I'm concerned, Bon Scott can do no wrong.

But then again, the recorder was the first instrument I ever played.

Next up for the cats:  a 70s hard rock band.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Hot guts - 20/12/04
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2004, 08:10:07 pm »

Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "Mantonio"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "Mantonio"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
I was cool because i had kiddie-equivalent of bling bling. Guess denim jackets and stonewashed jeans, gimp bracelet on one hand and snap bracelets on the other (but never switched: no, no, that meant you were a homo...


oh man dogg old junior high fads such as such as snap bracelets and wearing clothes backwards and inside out Kris Kros stylzzz

also, Don't 4get tha k00$h ballz!


Overalls with one strap down!

Wearing backpacks with one strap only!


I would totally found a corporation whose performance reviews were based on the principles of the childhood game MASH and those little fortune telling devices you can make out of paper.


And who can forget the pinch-rolled, acid-washed jeans!  The tapered-leg trousers in the late '80s were not tight enough, so you rolled up your pant legs as close to your ankle/calf area as possible.
Socks whose color matches your shirt!
Keds* with no laces!
Large bangs ("mall" bangs) curled with curling irons and anchored with a shit-ton of Aqua-Net aerosol hairspray.
Friendship bracelets (this is in the same vein as the snap-bracelets)
Oh god, this junior-high revisiting is making me all queasy. I fuck*ng hated that time in my life.

-----
*Yes, I am aware that Keds say, "I do not value myself". This was a fifth-grade fad, people.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Hot guts - 20/12/04
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2004, 08:39:44 pm »

Quote from: "linnea"
Oh god, this junior-high revisiting is making me all queasy. I fuck*ng hated that time in my life.


This appears to be nearly universal, although some look back at the time with more queasiness than others.  If I really sit and think about it, I can become suicidal.  High School was a little bit better, but still horrible.  Life didn't stop completely sucking until I was 19.

Anyone here who didn't hate ages 11-17 (give or take a few)?  Apparently Beef did.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Hot guts - 20/12/04
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2004, 09:03:45 pm »

I pretty much hated 7th grade through junior year in high school.  Senior year was OK, if not great.  College rocked.

Odd though, looking back on it, how you suppress much of the bad stuff.  My specific memories of that time are mainly positive, although a closer examination reveals much of the insecurity et al.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
Hot guts - 20/12/04
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2004, 01:57:55 am »

Quote from: "linnea"
Oh god, this junior-high revisiting is making me all queasy. I fuck*ng hated that time in my life.


I'm pretty sure science proves it impossible to have a good day when you are in junior high. I have a question - were any of your J-high school buildings designed such that it's occu##### would suffer all manner of mental ailments? Such was the case with Laramie Junior High - low celings, tiny or nonexistant windows, fluorecent lights, a room number system based on the necranomocan. Later on when I was in High School our sociology class went on a field trip to the Wyoming State Penn for ladies. Throughout the whole trip I was uneasy about the familiarity of this building. About an hour into it it hit me - the same architect who designed this prison must have designed my junior high. So all my classmates claims were true - LJHS was actually a prison.

As Bozack might say, fuck that architect in the EYE!
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Hot guts - 20/12/04
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2004, 02:04:21 am »

My junior high looked exactly like a cellblock from the outside. Also, we made Pruno, and shivs in metal shop, and traded human lives for cigarettes.

I didn't mind high school, I don't think, but then again I can't really remember it very well.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Hot guts - 20/12/04
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2004, 02:39:50 am »

Quote from: "Mantonio"
Quote from: "linnea"
I have a question - were any of your J-high school buildings designed such that it's occu##### would suffer all manner of mental ailments?


I went to Junior High in the late '70s, the school was only a few years old at the time.  It had (get ready for this...)


NO CLASSROOMS.

No walls.  No doors.  No windows.

Just one mammoth open area with lots of odd partitions and dividers breaking it up.  None of them went to the ceiling.  Many, if not most of them had holes or breaks so that you could sit in 7th grade Social Studies and look through a hole and see what the 9th graders were studying in Civics that day.  It was, in a word, stupid.

I think they've built walls into it since then.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Hot guts - 20/12/04
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2004, 03:12:50 am »

Quote from: "linnea"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "Mantonio"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "Mantonio"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
I was cool because i had kiddie-equivalent of bling bling. Guess denim jackets and stonewashed jeans, gimp bracelet on one hand and snap bracelets on the other (but never switched: no, no, that meant you were a homo...


oh man dogg old junior high fads such as such as snap bracelets and wearing clothes backwards and inside out Kris Kros stylzzz

also, Don't 4get tha k00$h ballz!


Overalls with one strap down!

Wearing backpacks with one strap only!


I would totally found a corporation whose performance reviews were based on the principles of the childhood game MASH and those little fortune telling devices you can make out of paper.


And who can forget the pinch-rolled, acid-washed jeans!  The tapered-leg trousers in the late '80s were not tight enough, so you rolled up your pant legs as close to your ankle/calf area as possible.
Socks whose color matches your shirt!
Keds* with no laces!
Large bangs ("mall" bangs) curled with curling irons and anchored with a shit-ton of Aqua-Net aerosol hairspray.
Friendship bracelets (this is in the same vein as the snap-bracelets)
Oh god, this junior-high revisiting is making me all queasy. I fuck*ng hated that time in my life.

-----
*Yes, I am aware that Keds say, "I do not value myself". This was a fifth-grade fad, people.


I've come to the conclusion that if I ever start a company, the stationary will be exclusively made by Trapper Keeper. (This is the same company that bases performance evals on MASH)
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Hot guts - 20/12/04
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2004, 04:24:54 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Mantonio"
Quote from: "linnea"
I have a question - were any of your J-high school buildings designed such that it's occu##### would suffer all manner of mental ailments?


I went to Junior High in the late '70s, the school was only a few years old at the time.  It had (get ready for this...)


NO CLASSROOMS.

No walls.  No doors.  No windows.

Just one mammoth open area with lots of odd partitions and dividers breaking it up.  None of them went to the ceiling.  Many, if not most of them had holes or breaks so that you could sit in 7th grade Social Studies and look through a hole and see what the 9th graders were studying in Civics that day.  It was, in a word, stupid.

I think they've built walls into it since then.


Yeah, I remember that - the old 'open concept' schools. Lots of carpeting, soft lighting from many directions, and tons and tons of dividers that started 2" from the floor and only went up 7' or so.

Even back in the 70's you couldn't trust the schools with the education of your children. Damn Dirty Hippy teachers.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Hot guts - 20/12/04
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2004, 02:18:25 pm »

My middle school indeed had tiny windows on outside classrooms and no windows on most of them. We had the giant sliding walls such as hotel ballrooms use so we could have huge open classrooms if we choose to but they always remainded closed.

Right now I'm a few blocks from South Lakes HS which was actually built to be a prison. But it was repurposed as a school before it was finished.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Hot guts - 20/12/04
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2004, 02:26:46 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
My middle school indeed had tiny windows on outside classrooms and no windows on most of them. We had the giant sliding walls such as hotel ballrooms use so we could have huge open classrooms if we choose to but they always remainded closed.

Right now I'm a few blocks from South Lakes HS which was actually built to be a prison. But it was repurposed as a school before it was finished.


no no no... South Lakes (and its sister school Centreville) do follow an institutional cellblock design, but they were always purposed to be schools...

Having gone to Centreville in the distant past I do know that the cellblock design is remarkably space-efficient.
Logged

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
Hot guts - 20/12/04
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2004, 02:56:45 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
We had the giant sliding walls such as hotel ballrooms use so we could have huge open classrooms if we choose to but they always remainded closed.


Ohhh, I remember those. They also had tiny floor to ceiling doors by which people could move between classrooms without opening the whole wall. Legend had it that one of the meanest and fattest teacher's got stuck in one of these doors once and had to be rescued by the fire department.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Hot guts - 20/12/04
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2004, 03:06:37 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
My middle school indeed had tiny windows on outside classrooms and no windows on most of them. We had the giant sliding walls such as hotel ballrooms use so we could have huge open classrooms if we choose to but they always remainded closed.

Right now I'm a few blocks from South Lakes HS which was actually built to be a prison. But it was repurposed as a school before it was finished.


This was the story of our Jr. High, that it was actually built to be a woman's prison.  There were basically two entrances into the two story school as I remember--the main one and a side one that could be closed off with this big-ass blue gate.  It had an enourmous courtyard in the middle, and a bi-level staircase where our resident cop could have a great view of the action.  So it really did feel like a prison, though I do doubt it was actually built as one because of its proximity to a densely populated residential area.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Hot guts - 20/12/04
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2004, 03:09:05 pm »

Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
I've come to the conclusion that if I ever start a company, the stationary will be exclusively made by Trapper Keeper. (This is the same company that bases performance evals on MASH)


Bobby, you have just evoked as intense a feeling of nostalgia as I have ever felt.  Trapper Keepers?  Coolest things ever!  Now I must look for one today, and buy it if I can find one.  God, let there be Trapper Keepers still!
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Hot guts - 20/12/04
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2004, 03:12:31 pm »

I have thought for a long time that that company could make a lot of money by marketing Trapper Keepers for the business world.  

I'd buy one.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up