Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Alright, America. I'm playing the underpants and pants game. If just for one more day.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: C'mon '05!  (Read 13566 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
C'mon '05!
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2005, 05:09:16 am »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Dude! Are you offshore on a drilling rig or something? It sounds cool, except for the big part where it sucks.


I work here. We TALKED about this!

And this building is just down the block. Right now it looks just the same, except the photo would be totally white. My office window is totally obscured by a 25 foot tall drift of snow.


Holy, holy, holy crap!  You work at like the end of the fuck*ng earth!  Compared to you, Linnea lives in Manhattan!  When's the last time you saw the sun?  Man.  That would absolutely kill me.  

What is it exactly that you do up there?  I hope to hell it pays well.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
C'mon '05!
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2005, 07:23:22 am »

Didn't you move to Portland to be closer to your finceé/wife though?  We thought you were away from AK.

Anyway, happy new year everyone.   I drank about half a bottle of the nice old Glenlivet (or "THE Glenlivet" as the bottle says) which is nearly as old as I am, and I am drowsy.  I also bit off a nice chunk of the tip of my tongue earlier somehow and my entire head is throbbing.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
C'mon '05!
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2005, 02:41:07 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Didn't you move to Portland to be closer to your finceé/wife though?  We thought you were away from AK.

Anyway, happy new year everyone.   I drank about half a bottle of the nice old Glenlivet (or "THE Glenlivet" as the bottle says) which is nearly as old as I am, and I am drowsy.  I also bit off a nice chunk of the tip of my tongue earlier somehow and my entire head is throbbing.


So that went good for you. Yeah, I moved to PDX to be near her, but I didn't give up my job or anything. Right now I'm working as a petroleum engineer dealing with well integrity issues. I supervise a crew of 7 technicians who go into the field and test the wells (I used to work on that crew).

As for this:

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Holy, holy, holy crap! You work at like the end of the fuck*ng earth! Compared to you, Linnea lives in Manhattan! When's the last time you saw the sun? Man. That would absolutely kill me.


it's sort of like comparing apples and different, smaller apples. I've spent some time where Linnea is, and it's almost more of the same. The only difference is that she actually lives there, with other people who live there, and nobody lives where I am - we just go back and forth in 1, 2, or 3 week shifts. The Aleutians are a bit more picturesque, though. I think they are warmer, too, but I've never been there in winter.

It's normally somewhere around 20 to 30 degrees below zero here, with a 20 to 30 mph wind. I'll leave it to you to figure the wind chill. The worst conditions I've actually worked outside in here was a lovely stretch of -100+ degree wind chill conditions, at one point reaching 125 degrees below zero. It's all about layers, people.

And yes, it pays extremely well. If I could get a job making half as much in Portland, I'd do that, though.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
C'mon '05!
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2005, 03:43:11 pm »

If this is what you need to put up with to get petroleum, I am now going to feel even more guilty every time I put gas in my car.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
C'mon '05!
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2005, 04:18:25 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
If this is what you need to put up with to get petroleum, I am now going to feel even more guilty every time I put gas in my car.


Don't feel bad, Wombat. If everyone in the US lived in communal, solar-heated yurts and rode in biodiesel-powered vehicles, Big Oil would still suck every drop of crude out of the round, until we reached an energy equilibrium point where it cost a barrel of oil to make a barrel of oil. Eventually the earth will look like a dried up apple.

I kind of feel like a drug dealer sometimes.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Moderator
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
C'mon '05!
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2005, 05:35:12 pm »

God, Deadhoss is basically the most bad-ass name for a town ever.
True to who I am and where I am from, I went to a bluegrass show last night. They rocked us into the New Year with a cover of "And She Was," which is even MORE awesome when you hear it on guitar, upright bass, banjo, mandolin and accordion.
Andalucia, how did your night end? Please tell me something happier than alone with a bottle of 2-buck Chuck!
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
C'mon '05!
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2005, 08:31:58 pm »

Would that I could, Bozack, but it although instead of wine, I ended up opting for a heavy dose of David Foster Wallace, it really was a less than stellar evening, to the effect that Vermont-boy is probably going to have to start the new year with a new girlfriend.
Logged
goose means greedy

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
C'mon '05!
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2005, 09:07:02 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Would that I could, Bozack, but it although instead of wine, I ended up opting for a heavy dose of David Foster Wallace, it really was a less than stellar evening, to the effect that Vermont-boy is probably going to have to start the new year with a new girlfriend.


Damn, too bad for him. And you too. Especially you since I don't care about him. At least you both have access to vast amounts of maple syrup.

Nabu, I thought you left that behind when you moved, too. That was why I was confused. Man what a desolate, unforgiving place.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
C'mon '05!
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2005, 02:09:33 am »

Thus far, 2005 is the "Year of Being On Airplanes." I am hopeful that it will instead be the "Year of Awesomeness, Decisiveness, and Inner Tranquility," because if I need anything right now, it's a life path and some kind of calmness about it.

My sympathies to all who had shitty years; I, personally, had a pretty wretched first quarter followed by an otherwise decent year.

For those curious about festivities, I spent all night last night packing and IMing with a high-school friend who was ludicrously, comically drunk, to the point that I'm still not sure it wasn't a Candid AIM thing and the log is going up on baiting.org right now. It's terrifying to realize that the same guy you played AD&D with in ninth grade is now raving about how many tequila shots he just did and how he doesn't know where he is.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
C'mon '05!
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2005, 03:42:05 am »

Just so you folks don't feel too terribly bad, they brought in 400 lbs of king crab on Christmas, and probably twice that much in massive prawns tonight.

But enjoy your ramen.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

V-Adore

  • Guest
C'mon '05!
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2005, 04:38:36 am »

How big does a prawn have to be to be a "massive" prawn, anyway? It's going to bug me until I get an answer.

(Also: I can't speak for others, but around here, ramen is not an ubiquitous college food. This is because, due to a problem, nobody here can use a microwave worth a good goddamn, so the microwaves become officially Code Red Disgusting within a month and then nobody wants to make ramen in them anymore.)
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
C'mon '05!
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2005, 05:06:15 am »

Not to diminish the deliciousity (deliciousity?) of 400 lbs of King Crab in any way whatsoever, but ramen can be delicious.  Didn't anybody else see Tampopo?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
C'mon '05!
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2005, 05:09:10 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
(Also: I can't speak for others, but around here, ramen is not an ubiquitous college food. This is because, due to a problem, nobody here can use a microwave worth a good goddamn, so the microwaves become officially Code Red Disgusting within a month and then nobody wants to make ramen in them anymore.)

Random interjection: whoever came up with the concept of the microfridge is a genius. And the person who came up with the rental system where it's already in dorm when you get there is a super genius.

So far '05 has been the year of places I want to eat being closed. That's the problem with little family owned places. The massive chains may not taste as good but they were smart enough to be open today, dag nabbit.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
C'mon '05!
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2005, 05:15:07 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Not to diminish the deliciousity (deliciousity?) of 400 lbs of King Crab in any way whatsoever, but ramen can be delicious.  Didn't anybody else see Tampopo?

Deliciousness?

And don't forget AB's Ramen Radiator. That was quite good the time I made it.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
C'mon '05!
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2005, 03:14:36 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
How big does a prawn have to be to be a "massive" prawn, anyway? It's going to bug me until I get an answer.

The size of your head.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up