Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am composing a tone poem about eagles, lawnmowers, and Ted Nugent. It is composed only of the sounds of those things.

Poll

How should we spell Pearson's nickname?

Pearce
- 7 (38.9%)
Pierce
- 11 (61.1%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: January 12, 2005, 03:24:31 pm


Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Poking holes  (Read 11908 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Poking holes
« on: January 11, 2005, 11:45:23 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"
I might dissapear again.  It depends on whether or not Pearce is as hyperactive outside the womb as he is inside.


This is a cheap shot, but I can't help saying that this particular misspelling of 'disappear' brings to mind images of insulted fruit.  "Why you gotta diss a pear like that?"

Hey, this is an excellent forum for a name debate.  Okay everybody, it's time for your honest and thoughtful opinions, also known as "Who do you love more?"

The child's middle name is Pearson.  We will be calling him by a nickname based on this middle name.  

JL believes this nickname should be spelled Pearce.  This keeps to the general spelling of the name, but contains the word 'pear' and looks more like 'peace' than anything.  (And goodness knows we all hate peace.)

Pedro believes the nickname should be spelled Pierce.  This is the spelling of an actual name.  If his nickname were Pierce, then the jumble of letters we use to indicate we're speaking of him would comprise a real name.  One that someone on this Earth has heard of.  Two fun examples are Brosnan and Hawkeye.  Now granted, it's got 'pie' in it.  And it doubles as a verb.  And there's an unsightly comic strip character of that name.  But honestly pie is better than pears, maybe he'll be a fencer, and that strip's funny every once in a while.

So it's Pearce or Pierce.  Start your tabulators.  And please, vote for me.  I'm this close to losing this one.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Poking holes
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 11:53:42 pm »

Pedro, I love you like a brother (because any other way would be wrong) and I normally hate funny spellings of names but... there's something that just seems right about 'Pearce' because it's closer to the spelling of the full name.

I'm sorry, man.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Poking holes
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 11:56:46 pm »

Whynot just go with Hawkeye? Ooo! Or Spud!
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Poking holes
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 12:05:49 am »

I have a fondness for JL that routinely breaks the 9th or 10th commandment (depending on which list you use) but I have to say that Pierce is way better than Pearce at a name.  

Sorry, Jelly, but I gots to go with Perdo on this one.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Poking holes
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 12:16:24 am »

The only thing I'll say is, he'd better like his first name, cause that's what he'll get called a whole bunch.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Poking holes
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 12:25:45 am »

The fact that the kid's name in Zits is Pierce is the funniest thing I find in the newspaper comics these days. The "irony" always makes me laugh.

I'm a bit torn here, because if I'm going by the argument, Pearce wins 100% of the Golfhaus vote. If I go by liking the name, though, Pierce gets it all the way.

I also agree with slink - I'm sure you've explained why he's not going to be called by his first name, but I've been drinking (coke and vanilla rum) and can't be bothered to go look for it. But my stepdad's kid ran into that problem - he was called by his middle name (Justin), and ran into issues when teachers refused to call him by anything but his first name (William). When he was real little, he was even counted as absent for kindergarten a few times when the teacher would call his name and he wouldn't respond to William because he'd never been called that before.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Poking holes
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2005, 12:28:34 am »

When I saw "Pearce" I immediately thought "Dammit, they're misspelling his name - and I like these people, too." You of course realize that it doesn't make a damn bit of difference what you call your kid. He's going to get ridiculed no matter what. My personal vote would be to nickname him "Peaches".
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Poking holes
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2005, 12:34:33 am »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
When I saw "Pearce" I immediately thought "Dammit, they're misspelling his name - and I like these people, too." You of course realize that it doesn't make a damn bit of difference what you call your kid. He's going to get ridiculed no matter what. My personal vote would be to nickname him "Peaches".


I'm doing a write-in campaign for "Peaches Valentine."

Otherwise, Pierce.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

V-Adore

  • Guest
Poking holes
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2005, 12:35:17 am »

I would be inclined to go with "Pierce," because I have a slight bias towards names that are spelled in a conventional fashion, but I agree with everyone else that it matters very little given that the kid's nickname will probably never actually be written out.

I'm a bit confused by the idea of elementary-school teachers harshing on a kid for a nickname; this may be because, back in that particular dreamtime, I had a frequent classmate named Louis who went by "Malen," always, and the teachers never gave him a hard time about it at all. (I assume it had to have been his middle name; otherwise, how the hell do you get Malen from Louis?) That said, your elementary schools may vary.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Poking holes
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2005, 01:13:19 am »

Quote from: "Golfhaus"
When he was real little, he was even counted as absent for kindergarten a few times when the teacher would call his name and he wouldn't respond to William because he'd never been called that before.


Hell. As someone who had to put up with it until a year ago, I meant things like Banks and shit as much as anything. I got so annoyed that bank and credit cards all came as my first name used in first and surname context.

And OK, I'd say Pierce. I just prefer it that way is all though. Go with it one way and then let him decide himself when he can.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Poking holes
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2005, 01:36:21 am »

Asswipe?

I vote Pierce.  Seems more authentic to me.  

Also, I had a nutjob psycho boss once whose name was Pearce.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Poking holes
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2005, 01:38:18 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I had a frequent classmate named Louis who went by "Malen," always, and the teachers never gave him a hard time about it at all. (I assume it had to have been his middle name; otherwise, how the hell do you get Malen from Louis?)


I had a friend named John who suddenly in High School decided he wanted to be called Cullen.  I don't think it was part of or derived from or related to his birth name.  It's just what he wanted to be called.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Poking holes
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2005, 01:40:05 am »

Eventually, Pearson will throw off the shackles of the Man, like Slink and I did, rejecting all the names laid on him entirely.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

V-Adore

  • Guest
Poking holes
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2005, 01:52:50 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I had a frequent classmate named Louis who went by "Malen," always, and the teachers never gave him a hard time about it at all. (I assume it had to have been his middle name; otherwise, how the hell do you get Malen from Louis?)


I had a friend named John who suddenly in High School decided he wanted to be called Cullen.  I don't think it was part of or derived from or related to his birth name.  It's just what he wanted to be called.

Yeah, but keep in mind by "elementary school" I mean early elementary school on. While I suppose it could be that a first-grader could just decide to be called Malen instead of his given name, it's not the most likely possibility.

That said, I've heard of a few people who've done it ala John^WCullen. A friend of mine's father now goes exclusively by the nickname he picked up in eleventh-grade algebra, one totally unrelated to his real name; it makes it easy to screen out telemarketers, since none of his friends or co-workers call him by his legal name.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Poking holes
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2005, 03:28:24 am »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
Depends on if the nickname is ever going to be read and mis-pronounced from that reading in public.  If not, then the spelling doesn't really matter.  If so, I can issue an iron bound guarantee that Pearce is going to get completely mangled, be really annoying and result in several horrifically scarring nicknames that the boy will hold onto and resent y'all for unto eternity.

Just imagine an elementary and middle school life filled with catcalls of "Pearrr-saaay, Pear butt P-P-P-Peeaarrr-saaaay!" after a roll call foul up and you'll get what I mean.


See, I would have thought "Pierce" would be more subject to that, having its own meaning.  You do not want to give a kid a name that is made out of words, trust me.
Logged
goose means greedy
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up