Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You might, rabbit

You might.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Albums I'm a Fool For Not Owning  (Read 8000 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Albums I'm a Fool For Not Owning
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2005, 10:08:22 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
I've neither seen nor heard it, and it may be very good, but my point is that in the Americas it is not cool to like anime.  Anime is generally something for geeks, like Natalie Portman day calendars and Babylon 5 dvds.


The Cowboy Bebop soundtrack is still cool as long as you don't tell anyone what it is. If you say "Oh, yeah, this is jazz by some Japanese dude" it will be true and you will be okay, because it is pretty good music and it is by some Japanese dude. (Actually, I think it's by some Japanese chick. I don't remember. But whatever.) If you say "This is TANK! opening theme of super waiwai sugoi Cowboy Bebop yahoo! ^_^" people will know you for a dork and shun you. Heck, I will shun you if you say that, and I'm a super dork anyway. I'm feeling the urge to shun myself after saying that.

Not that I know what's cool. The last thing I listened to was "Animetal", where members of Japanese heavy metal bands get together and play a bunch of covers of the theme songs from their favorite anime when they were kids. It's the Japanese equivalent of that "Saturday Morning's Greatest Hits" album.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Albums I'm a Fool For Not Owning
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2005, 11:38:58 pm »

Quote from: "starlight"
Well, TNT is the only one I have.. perhaps I should purchase more.. it seems I only get a few old school albums a year.  I'll sample some!

As for YLT, well, I only have that one and Summer Sun which didn't make my decision that hard.. heh.. I keep meaning to get And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-out, but keep putting it off.  I hear it is very good though...


All Tortoise albums are pretty different it seems, so each one is worth checking out.  TNT seems to be the most popular, but I know Millions best, and it was my first.

Check out the opening song off of YLT's electr-o-pura, Decora is the title, I think.  It's gorgeous.  The rest of the album too, but that song in particular makes my day whenever I put it on.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Albums I'm a Fool For Not Owning
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2005, 02:07:10 am »

Quote from: "miles"
All Tortoise albums are pretty different it seems, so each one is worth checking out.  TNT seems to be the most popular, but I know Millions best, and it was my first.

Check out the opening song off of YLT's electr-o-pura, Decora is the title, I think.  It's gorgeous.  The rest of the album too, but that song in particular makes my day whenever I put it on.


Yeah, I do notice that whichever thing I hear first is usually my preferred album.. there are some exceptions to that rule though.

Okay, I dled 'Decora' and now I see another one I must add to the list.  on dialup I hardly dl whole albums (only live stuff and advance copies do I get determined which take me all day to get.. ahah), but hardly anyone had that one song as is when I checked, so I couldn't have if I wanted to..
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Albums I'm a Fool For Not Owning
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2005, 04:01:49 am »

Quote from: "jough"
As for Steely Dan, I never cared for Reelin' In The Years - I find it kind of bland.


It may be bland, but a pleasant bland.  Bland's not always so bad.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Albums I'm a Fool For Not Owning
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2005, 04:15:34 am »

Quote from: "starlight"
Okay, I dled 'Decora' and now I see another one I must add to the list.  on dialup I hardly dl whole albums (only live stuff and advance copies do I get determined which take me all day to get.. ahah), but hardly anyone had that one song as is when I checked, so I couldn't have if I wanted to..


Isn't it heavenly?  There are few songs more beautiful.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Albums I'm a Fool For Not Owning
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2005, 08:27:15 pm »

Steely Dan - Royal Scam, Countdown to Ecstasy, or Pretzel Logic. After some re-listening, I am going to move Countdown to Ecstasy above Aja on my list. I know that Aja is supposedly the most perfectly realized conglomeration of rock and jazz, but I never thought it was their best work.

These are different than what always gets played. If you can get them for less than you feel a cheap meal ought to cost, by them. If you are on food stamps or have to give blood to buy cigarettes, maybe you shouldn't buy them. Jough, you really don't have a reason not to get them all, unless you feel that your time is too valuable.

Also, I hope that you didn't download anything after Some Girls (Stones) because it is all basically crap after that.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Albums I'm a Fool For Not Owning
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2005, 09:16:58 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Also, I hope that you didn't download anything after Some Girls (Stones) because it is all basically crap after that.


I don't really like much after Exile.  Well, Goat Head Soup's OK.  I agree though--it reaches crap status after Some Girls.  The gap between the Stones best material and their worst is probably the widest in popular music.  I mean, at their best they are untouchable, but man, they can suck absolute ass.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Albums I'm a Fool For Not Owning
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2005, 09:20:26 pm »

Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Also, I hope that you didn't download anything after Some Girls (Stones) because it is all basically crap after that.


I don't really like much after Exile.  Well, Goat Head Soup's OK.  I agree though--it reaches crap status after Some Girls.  The gap between the Stones best material and their worst is probably the widest in popular music.  I mean, at their best they are untouchable, but man, they can suck absolute ass.


That would be a whole nother thread, which would probably be very interesting. I will say this about that. I adore Stevie Wonder's work, as I have discussed at some length, but there is a massive gap between Innervisions and The Woman in Red.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Albums I'm a Fool For Not Owning
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2005, 05:43:12 pm »

I love Steely Dan, maybe partly because my dad liked, so I grew up hearing them a lot, but hey, aren't we supposed to *hate* our parents' music?  So that proves that Steely Dan is good.  Also, "Steely Dan" is an olde-tyme term for a dildo.

In all the Steely Dan talk that has gone on in this thread, I can't believe nobody has mentioned the song "King of the World".
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Steely Dan
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2005, 06:17:06 pm »

Quote from: "some people"
Some things about Steely Dan


"Lay down your Jackson and you will see the sweet things you've been dying for."

Their songs are about various losers who are up to no good.  They are either hooked on drugs, in love with a prostitute, in trouble with the law, or generally fuckin' up in some way.  It's like they're singing my life.

Steely Dan is way up the list of my favorites.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Albums I'm a Fool For Not Owning
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2005, 06:26:35 pm »

Quote from: "Va"
I love Steely Dan, maybe partly because my dad liked, so I grew up hearing them a lot, but hey, aren't we supposed to *hate* our parents' music?  So that proves that Steely Dan is good.  Also, "Steely Dan" is an olde-tyme term for a dildo.


I don't think it's old-time so much as Burroughsian in origin.  Or Burroughs used an old-timey term.  Anyways, in Naked Lunch (or one of them, I forget which), there's a dildo called Steely Dan III.
Logged
goose means greedy

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Albums I'm a Fool For Not Owning
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2005, 07:18:03 pm »

Yeah, the Steely Dan was in Naked Lunch - a steam-powered metal dildo that killed the subject upon orgasm.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up