Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Note how white pepper, ground freshly into one's hand, makes it smell as though you've been rubbing your open palm around on a horse's anus.

Poll

what type of motor vehicle is your preference?

big
- 7 (35%)
small
- 13 (65%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: January 20, 2005, 04:56:28 am


Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: cars. because we need more polls.  (Read 5827 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
cars. because we need more polls.
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2005, 08:21:40 pm »

Quote from: "Asherdan"

Plus I like having a roof rack to tie Bambi to when I fill my tag each year.


They got deer huntin' in Orange County?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Moderator
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
cars. because we need more polls.
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2005, 08:37:00 pm »

Ummmmm.....

1994 Dark Blue Volvo- "The Nightcrawler", purchased in 2002
The first time I took this car out, I was on a date with a girl who was hit by ANOTHER car that very night. Two weeks later, a Nigerian seminary student whose insurance lapsed 10 days earlier slammed into it, pushing it against a tree, which fucked up the passenger-side door. A year later, heavy storms cause a massive branch to fall on the car, nigh-crushing it. While waiting for the insurance stuff to go through to get the roof of the car fixed, my brother and I were driving down a fairly busy stretch of road when we hear a ping. Then, suddenly, the engine goes silent. Then, the brakes lock up. A belt in the engine had broken, and had then spun around the inside of the engine like some sort of mechanical reaper, bending every pin in the engine. The estimated repair cost was $4000. The car cost $7000 when we bought it. The insurance company declared it totaled and cut us a check.

1996 Giant-ass Maroon Chevy Van- "Behemoth"
My family got this because we kept having to take long road-trips with two violins and a cello. Then, we quit taking those trips, but we still have this van, the hugeness of which is difficult to convey in words. I drove it to Bonnaroo.

2002 Black Honda 4-Door Something- "K.I.T.T."
This is what my family sorta shares now. God, I love it.

That's basically it, in terms of car talk. Notice I don't know the models of these cars. That is because car companies need better names for their cars. If I was driving a Honda Optimus Prime, you bet your ass I'd know what model my car was.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
cars. because we need more polls.
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2005, 08:44:48 pm »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
They got deer huntin' in Orange County?

We got this national forest right out our back door.  The San Berdoo can be OK too and is quite local.

I couldn't live where I can't get away from people and go out in the boonies.  And occaisionally kill and eat stuff.


Deer hunting in my hometown.  Be sure to check out the three links at the bottom of the page.  The B&N is the closest store to us.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
cars. because we need more polls.
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2005, 09:07:51 pm »

1988 Renault 19 'Chamade' - truly horrible car. No power, now roadholding, uncomfortable, prone to breaking down, ugly as all hell... Inherited it from a relative when I was learning to drive so it did the job, and got me to the other end of the country for a Queens of the Stone Age gig with a friend. 24 hour road trip just before it died for good.

1989 Nissan Bluebird Estate - Huge. Almost as wide as a Skyline, and looong. 2 litres though, and an engine built to racing spec so it still performed fairly well, except for an annoying deadspot before you got it to 3000+ revs. Petrol tank developed a leak though, and it was going to cost too much to replace or fix compared to the £250 I spent on the car.

1996 Nissan Primera - So nice. I really like this car. It's only a 1.6 but it performs much better than the estate and feels right. It's big though. Almost got it stuck on the bridge at Roslyn castle, which is just over a car wide, with a 90 degree bend in the middle. If I were one of those people who spent insane money on my car, I'd attach bits of a Skyline to it. But... I have better things to do.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
cars. because we need more polls.
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2005, 10:14:14 pm »

I'm six and a half feet tall and built like an out-of-shape sumo. While I love the aesthetic of tiny cute cars, practicality forces me to prefer large vehicles for actual riding-in.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
cars. because we need more polls.
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2005, 11:34:50 pm »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
BOT: Limmo, I hear ya about the Intrepid.  


I wound up renting an Intrepid in Palm Springs in 2001.  While on our way out there to do wedding-related shit, my Mustang's transmission completely shit the bed when I got off the 10.

I liked it enough that I bought a used 2000 Intrepid from Enterprise that only had 7200 miles on it.

It's served me very well, though at 40,000 miles it is just starting to demand the occasional money-sucking repair job.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
cars. because we need more polls.
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2005, 11:40:45 pm »

Quote from: "Ben-San"
I'm six and a half feet tall and built like an out-of-shape sumo. While I love the aesthetic of tiny cute cars, practicality forces me to prefer large vehicles for actual riding-in.


But wait!  It turns out that the VW Beetle is the ideal car for you!

http://cartalk.com/content/features/Pinkwater-Car/index.html
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up