Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris waited all day for the Comcast repair guy, and he never showed up. What is he supposed to do with this cream pie?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style  (Read 8996 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2005, 10:56:45 pm »

Quote from: "ndpatel"
it is amazing how thoroughly terrible better off dead is whe you watch it after several years.

say anything, though, may well be the pinnacle of the cusack teen movie career.


Having never seen Say Anything, I can't evaulate the validity of your second statement.  

Your first, however, is blasphemy.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2005, 12:14:37 am »

Quote from: "jough"

Or maybe Onstad himself uses IE.


Dude. Saying Onstad beats his wife is  in all good fun, but accusing someone of using IE is just low.
Logged

Huge Uncut Asian Jerkboy

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 23
    • View Profile
    • http://www.subrevolt.com/phpnuke
1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2005, 12:37:25 am »

Quote from: "Gimpson"
Quote from: "ndpatel"
it is amazing how thoroughly terrible better off dead is whe you watch it after several years.

say anything, though, may well be the pinnacle of the cusack teen movie career.


Having never seen Say Anything, I can't evaulate the validity of your second statement.  

Your first, however, is blasphemy.


No, I agree. Better Off Dead isn't that great either. I think a lot of the love for these movies stems from wisps of nostalgia, liking them when you were hell of younger and not seeing them for awhile, or you know, malleable emotions. In most of those movies, though Mr. Cusack is a good enough actor, his character are irritating at best, wimpsters at worst.
Logged
** it seemed to give him energy **

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2005, 01:44:39 am »

That Vlad's supplementary question 'Is Mormon?' has gone unappreciated so far is the worst offense our board has committed to this strip.

Why's Beef takin' off so upset? Is he Mormon?

Not that he could be personally offended for normal reasons, but that he's a zealot of that specific flavor. Yes, Vlad. He's Mormon. No, it wasn't anything you said or did. He's Mormon. Fuck off.

(It may not seem like it, but this is the reason I heart Vlad.)
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2005, 01:58:30 am »

Quote from: "Choopernickel"
That Vlad's supplementary question 'Is Mormon?' has gone unappreciated so far is the worst offense our board has committed to this strip.

Dammit people, he's right. We should be ashamed of ourselves.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2005, 02:31:58 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
As for regulars I'm in Arlington, Carlos in in Alexandria I think, and I'm pretty sure Gimpson's location used to say DC. Golfhaus just says VA but I think he's farther south.


Yeah, I'm in Newport News. I make my way up to DC a bit, though, and if there were ever a gathering, I would make an attempt to show up.

Am I the only one who's a little nervous about Roast Beef running off to "save" Molly? Like he's going to get there and she's totally going to be sharing a foot-long teriyaki chicken with some dude? Or in some other way having the attempt fall flat? Roast Beef-Molly drama does seem to keep people's interest around here.
Logged

EgoSumNoah

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 66
    • View Profile
1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2005, 05:06:37 am »

Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "wombat"

I also see that there is a local band here called The Lloyd Dobler Effect, some of whose members are from Silver Spring, where I live.

Carry on.


Silver Spring, MD?


I, like every one else, went to Blair High School in Silver Spring.

Also, I use IE, and I like it.

And the point of that reference isn't Say Anything, that movie was unremarkable, but the scene is all kinds of archetypal, and you have to admit that that was by far the sexiest shot of Beef we've ever gotten, though sexier still would be the image of Beef attending to his wives, a frame that obviously got cut from the comic for what, PC issues?  Molly's protection?

Good to see that Onstad is the shit.  Those web comic visitors go a long way to piss a fella off.
Logged
I am Jack, the Pumpkin King

Lane

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 40
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lanemcfadden.net
1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2005, 04:26:39 pm »

Quote from: "ndpatel"
it is amazing how thoroughly terrible better off dead is whe you watch it after several years.


This is true.  It has an entire music video sequence of Claymation hamburgers.  That is never a good idea.  And I say this as a Lane, which is Cusack's character's name in the movie.  So, you know, I'm supposed to love that movie.

Also, the board member in question who moved from DC to someplace wacky could have been me, I moved from there to Fairbanks, AK, but I never got to meet Nabubrush, so eventually I moved back to DC (Logan Circle).  But I'm pretty sure that you didn't mean me, since no one really knows who I am here (long-time lurker, occasional poster, etc.).
Logged
He gets with the ladies, but in the end they do not like him.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2005, 04:31:20 pm »

Quote from: "Lane"
Also, the board member in question who moved from DC to someplace wacky could have been me, I moved from there to Fairbanks, AK, but I never got to meet Nabubrush, so eventually I moved back to DC (Logan Circle).  But I'm pretty sure that you didn't mean me, since no one really knows who I am here (long-time lurker, occasional poster, etc.).

Enjoy the snow. Lousy weekend non-work closing tease that it is.
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2005, 04:54:06 pm »

Quote from: "Lane"
Quote from: "ndpatel"
it is amazing how thoroughly terrible better off dead is whe you watch it after several years.


This is true.  It has an entire music video sequence of Claymation hamburgers.  That is never a good idea.  And I say this as a Lane, which is Cusack's character's name in the movie.  So, you know, I'm supposed to love that movie.


You people, if you can't find a place in your hearts for Charles DeMar (the perennially underappreciated Curtis Armstrong) and a dessert (you like raisins) that crawls off of the plate, I just don't know if there's really a place for you here in the Spanish pool cabana of my heart.

Oh, yeah - and those Japanese dudes.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2005, 06:09:13 pm »

Better Off Dead may be a little dated and 80s-centric today, but isn't that part of its charm?  I bought the DVD and it has lost nothing for me.  Sure, it's no cinematic masterpiece, but it holds up a lot better than most teen films from the 80s (John Hughes films notwithstanding).

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2005, 06:09:52 pm »

Oh, and Say Anything is one of the best romantic comedies of all fuck*ng time, infidels.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2005, 06:12:15 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Better Off Dead may be a little dated and 80s-centric today, but isn't that part of its charm?  I bought the DVD and it has lost nothing for me.  Sure, it's no cinematic masterpiece, but it holds up a lot better than most teen films from the 80s (John Hughes films notwithstanding).


What was its appeal back then?  I do still like it though.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2005, 06:13:03 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Oh, and Say Anything is one of the best romantic comedies of all fuck*ng time, infidels.


Then I guess its a genre I just don't like too much.  Unless you count some of Woody Allen's movies.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2005, 06:32:50 pm »

Philistine.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up