Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Sssshhh...I'm discovering Sleater-Kinney. This is a special time in a boy's life.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style  (Read 9008 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

beetle

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12
    • View Profile
1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2005, 07:23:11 am »

This strip has me noticing larger parallels between the Beef/Molly romance and Say Anything.  The vibe of the nerdy outsiders in love;  him being the more popular one and folding her into his group of friends;  her realizing that she hasn't really formed any personal connections before.

I think I'm really rooting for Beef and Molly with a feeling very close to the one I felt on the airplane at the end of Say Anything.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2005, 08:13:34 am »

Quote from: "beetle"
...a feeling very close to the one I felt on the airplane at the end of Say Anything.


BZZT
MINUS CRED
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2005, 10:08:33 am »

What?  The two lovebirds were totally on an airplane at the end of that film.

Indeed, Choop, I believe it is YOU who lose cred here.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2005, 03:16:37 pm »

Oooooh, REVERSAL!
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

V-Adore

  • Guest
1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2005, 05:37:55 pm »

I assumed that the cred-losing was because of... ahem... "failing to warn of spoiler."

FIVE YARD PENALTY
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2005, 08:14:18 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I assumed that the cred-losing was because of... ahem... "failing to warn of spoiler."

FIVE YARD PENALTY

I didn't think spoiler warnings applied to movies that came out 15 years ago. Or did we jump topics when I wasn't looking?
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2005, 08:35:20 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I assumed that the cred-losing was because of... ahem... "failing to warn of spoiler."

FIVE YARD PENALTY

I didn't think spoiler warnings applied to movies that came out 15 years ago. Or did we jump topics when I wasn't looking?


When I am done making a homunculus out of my phlegm I propose a D.C. area AcheCon with a viewing of Say Anything so we can all be on the same page.

p.s. I could really use a lung brother right now

p.s. playing the part of Jough will be a NAND gate
Logged

EgoSumNoah

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 66
    • View Profile
1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2005, 09:25:45 pm »

Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
p.s. playing the part of Jough will be a NAND gate


I can't help but think that that's some comp sci reference that I should be getting.  But what the hell does a NAND do?
Logged
I am Jack, the Pumpkin King

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2005, 11:58:16 pm »

Basically, it boils down to:

Anything that two other people agree to, Jough will say the opposite.  Using enough circuitry, he can negate practically thousands of accordant inputs!

Or, I can provide a truth table if need be.  

Yes, I'm a nerd.

acoxcae
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2005, 12:03:24 am »

Quote from: "acoxcae"
Basically, it boils down to:

Anything that two other people agree to, Jough will say the opposite.  Using enough circuitry, he can negate practically thousands of accordant inputs!

Or, I can provide a truth table if need be.  

Yes, I'm a nerd.

acoxcae


We're into education now.

Education.




--
And that French Waiter... Jean-Luc!
Logged

EgoSumNoah

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 66
    • View Profile
education
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2005, 01:37:25 am »

so its just a Not-And or a ~^ or whatev

Truth Table...

a  b  a NAND b
F  F        T
F  T        T
T  F        T
T  T        F

(eductation... I can see it now...)
Logged
I am Jack, the Pumpkin King

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: education
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2005, 04:35:30 am »

Quote from: "EgoSumNoah"
so its just a Not-And or a ~^ or whatev

Truth Table...

a  b  a NAND b
F  F        T
F  T        T
T  F        T
T  T        F

(eductation... I can see it now...)


Jesus.  Truth tables.  Do I miss logic?  No.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2005, 05:24:14 am »

Quote from: "acoxcae"
Or, I can provide a truth table if need be.


I thought those were what they set up down at the Homeschoolers' Career Day.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: education
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2005, 07:33:33 am »

Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "EgoSumNoah"
so its just a Not-And or a ~^ or whatev

Truth Table...

a  b  a NAND b
F  F        T
F  T        T
T  F        T
T  T        F

(eductation... I can see it now...)


Jesus.  Truth tables.  Do I miss logic?  No.


All I remember from my logic classes is this crazy thing called recuctio ad absurdum. It seemed to allow you to prove anything you want by first claiming the opposite.

This is why I didn't change majors to philosophy.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2005, 03:48:37 pm »

Going back to the "who's in the DC area" bit, Carlos recently moved from Alexandria to Centreville.  Still in NoVa, but I'm now closer to Leesburg than the District, which I find sort of upsetting.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up