Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood The bus is crossing Klickitat St., home of Ramona Quimby. It's pretty swank these days. No sign of Nosmo King.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: So... what've you been listening to lately?  (Read 34311 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pineapple

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #165 on: April 28, 2005, 07:53:42 am »

talk like a ***** in the habititting way!

lately I have been jamming with Sufjan's Illinois, John Darnielle's The Sunset Tree, Of Montreal's Sunlandic Twins, and plus a recent little "rediscovery" of mine (yeah, I suck), Olivia Tremor Control's Dusk at Cubist Castle.

ALRIGHT!
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #166 on: April 28, 2005, 12:44:40 pm »

After reading a review of Motion City Soundtrack's new album I decided to go DL their first one. I'm enjoying the first few songs quite a bit but not so much the ones at the end.
Logged

BatzRadio

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 39
  • Check the record, check the guy's rock record.
    • View Profile
    • http://batzradio.livejournal.com
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #167 on: April 28, 2005, 02:10:55 pm »

The Fall's Complete Peel Sessions Box Set has started travelling the buccaneer circuit in advance of the US release on May 23rd.

And there is so much wonderful stuff in it. I'm placing my preorder at Siren Disc this weekend.
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #168 on: April 28, 2005, 02:38:36 pm »

:heart:  :heart:  :heart: BATZRADIO :heart:  :heart:  :heart:
Logged

BatzRadio

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 39
  • Check the record, check the guy's rock record.
    • View Profile
    • http://batzradio.livejournal.com
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #169 on: April 28, 2005, 03:00:34 pm »

I have one very minor quibble about it. I miss Peelie's bridging comments about the songs from my old bootlegs.

Other than that though, the music just smokes. Especially the version of Eat Y'Self Fitter.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #170 on: April 29, 2005, 12:09:41 am »

I just DL's the title track from The New Pornographers next album. It's definitely fun but they have a lot to live up to since Electric Version. Damn that's a fine album.
Logged

BatzRadio

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 39
  • Check the record, check the guy's rock record.
    • View Profile
    • http://batzradio.livejournal.com
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #171 on: April 29, 2005, 02:18:40 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
I just DL's the title track from The New Pornographers next album. It's definitely fun but they have a lot to live up to since Electric Version. Damn that's a fine album.


This one reminds me too much of the AC Newman solo album, which wasn't bad but still. I kinda wished they woulda picked a Dan Bejar song as the lead single, but that's because his Destroyer stuff has been knocking me the fuck out with its' greatness lately. Especially Streethawk and the MergeFest 2004 live set.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #172 on: April 29, 2005, 03:33:40 am »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #173 on: April 29, 2005, 05:17:44 am »

I'm actually listening to a shit-ton of Sun Ra now. Woooo incomprehensible!
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #174 on: May 07, 2005, 06:47:54 am »

Best review I've seen so far of the new NIN album:

http://www.tinymixtapes.com/musicreviews/n/nine_inch_nails.htm

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #175 on: May 08, 2005, 07:15:56 am »

You guys should check out Separation Sunday by The Hold Steady.  It's good.

Also, Emmylou Harris' Wrecking Ball is one of the most beautiful things EVER.

Also on heavy rotation:  OP8:  Slush.  Lisa Germano with Howe Gelb of Giant Sand, and Joey Burns and John Convertino of (currently) Calexico.  Lisa Germano is a beautiful person.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #176 on: May 08, 2005, 07:17:53 am »

Quote from: "miles"
Also, Emmylou Harris' Wrecking Ball is one of the most beautiful things EVER.

I agree wholeheartedly.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #177 on: May 09, 2005, 03:21:15 am »

I just got ahold of 69 Love Songs by The Magnetic Fields and it is awesome. I first heard them on Last.fm which is quickly becoming my primary source for new music. I've only really listened to the first disc so far, but I really like I Don't Want to Get Over You, Let's Pretend We're Bunny Rabbits, and Reno Dakota.

I've also been listening to a lot of Mars Volta recently. I first heard them through Last.fm as well, and I've really been enjoying their CD Deloused in the Comatorium. Sometimes they get a little too far out there and really lose me, but some of the songs (and parts of songs) are so unbelievably tight I can't help but like them. Take the Veil Cerpin Taxt is awesome, for example.
Logged

Max

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 147
    • View Profile
    • http://rock-action.blogspot.com
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #178 on: May 09, 2005, 04:59:31 am »

Not to be shitting all over your parade but the first disc is the only really superb one of the three.  They're all good, though.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #179 on: May 09, 2005, 05:36:21 am »

Max, I'm glad to hear you say that, because I've always thought that too but I've heard others say that they like either 2 or 3 the best.  I guess it depends on your mood.

"I Don't Want to Get Over You" and "I Think I Need a New Heart" are my two favourites, followed by "Reno Dakota" "A Chicken with its Head Cut Off" and "I'm the Luckiest Guy From the Lower East Side".

Great lyrics on those first three.  Very clever but touching at the same time.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16   Go Up