Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Artists need to make money to eat and to continue to make art. Artists used to rely on middlemen to collect their money on their behalf, thereby rendering themselves innocent of cash-handling in the public eye. Artists will now be coming straight to you (yes YOU, you who want their music, their films, their books) for their paychecks. Please welcome them. Please help them. Please do not make them feel badly about asking you directly for money.” -Amanda Palmer

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: So... what've you been listening to lately?  (Read 34395 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #180 on: May 09, 2005, 12:54:29 pm »

slink,
"sunspots" is good, but i can't stop listening to "only".
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #181 on: May 09, 2005, 01:09:03 pm »

Quote from: "Mr Trout"
I first heard them on Last.fm which is quickly becoming my primary source for new music.

Are you in our Achewood group? It's Underground Vinyl.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #182 on: May 09, 2005, 05:15:37 pm »

Quote from: "Max"
Not to be shitting all over your parade but the first disc is the only really superb one of the three.  They're all good, though.


I think the project overall is very ambitious with some really high points--in fact many of the songs are among my all-time favorite songs, but all three discs have low points too.

Although my introduction to the band was I Don't Want to Get Over You, and it's still a favorite.

I think that Magnetic Fields' best albums are Holiday and the Charm of the Highway Strip.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #183 on: May 09, 2005, 11:53:17 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "Mr Trout"
I first heard them on Last.fm which is quickly becoming my primary source for new music.

Are you in our Achewood group? It's Underground Vinyl.


Thank you for the tip, I did not realize there was an Achewood group. How novel!

And it's by application only, how exclusive!


Quote from: "miles"
think that Magnetic Fields' best albums are Holiday and the Charm of the Highway Strip


Thanks for the tips. Right now I have 69 Love songs, Distant Plastic Trees, and The Wayward Bus. I'll have to keep my eyes out for those other two.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #184 on: May 10, 2005, 02:43:24 am »

As of today, I have in my possession both the Mountain Goats' Tallahassee and Stars' Set Yourself On Fire. I haven't listened yet -- really, I'm not in the mindplace for either today -- but I shall update further when I have.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #185 on: May 10, 2005, 04:57:41 am »

I got the new Spoon album (my first exposure to this band) and it's a'ight so far.  Nothing to lose sleep over.

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #186 on: May 10, 2005, 07:11:47 am »

I had a tremendous urge to listen to "source tags and codes" by ...and you will know us by the trail of dead a couple weeks ago. In the past I have had mixed feelings for this album. Over these last weeks I've been enjoying it alot. I think what lead to my original confusion at the album is the production. The stuff can get really noisey and dissonant, and is layered with this windex sheen that takes some of the edge off. It seems like the vocals are compressed or effected to reduce throatiness. The mix is great, and the production is not so much of a deterent as a sidenote. Still, I would like to hear their earlier music in search of a rawer sound.
Logged
I am older now.

BatzRadio

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 39
  • Check the record, check the guy's rock record.
    • View Profile
    • http://batzradio.livejournal.com
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #187 on: May 10, 2005, 07:16:14 am »

Quote from: "Mr Trout"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "Mr Trout"
I first heard them on Last.fm which is quickly becoming my primary source for new music.

Are you in our Achewood group? It's Underground Vinyl.


Thank you for the tip, I did not realize there was an Achewood group. How novel!

And it's by application only, how exclusive!


Audioscrobbler's a neat little invention, although my most recent updates on there are a little weird-ass because of it being linked to my shoutcasting ventures.

(Applied for the group like the trendfollower I am.)
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #188 on: May 10, 2005, 01:25:55 pm »

woo-hoo, Clutch's Live in Flint is absolutely amazing.  Live at Googolplex is ok, but Flint is a winner.

if noone else likes clutch, i'll stop.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Max

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 147
    • View Profile
    • http://rock-action.blogspot.com
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #189 on: May 10, 2005, 03:46:49 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
As of today, I have in my possession both the Mountain Goats' Tallahassee and Stars' Set Yourself On Fire. I haven't listened yet -- really, I'm not in the mindplace for either today -- but I shall update further when I have.


For Tallahassee sit down quietly somewhere outside where you can watch people from a distance.

If you're not losing serious sleep over the new Spoon you must not be listening right!  That shit is amazing.

I also recently got on the ...And You Will Know bandwagon with that album, Guy Who Said That, and I'm getting pretty into it.  The songs are mostly sort of over-layered, but they all reveal hell of hooks by halfway in.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #190 on: May 11, 2005, 12:53:39 am »

Quote from: "jough"
I got the new Spoon album (my first exposure to this band) and it's a'ight so far.  Nothing to lose sleep over.


I have Kill the Moonlight, which is great, and Girls Can Tell, which is very good.  Haven't picked up the new one yet but will sooner or later.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #191 on: May 11, 2005, 10:07:31 am »

Quote from: "Max"

I also recently got on the ...And You Will Know bandwagon with that album, Guy Who Said That, and I'm getting pretty into it.  The songs are mostly sort of over-layered, but they all reveal hell of hooks by halfway in.


 Hooks deffinitely appear. And the subject matter is aligned with the build-ups. What has become beautiful to me is that the singing and songwriting react against a normal life. Like the band decided that they are going to die next week and that they'd better drop 5 years of mind flab and do something universally significant. The line "Forgiveness - it's just a dream. Forgiveness - it's everything" at the end of Another Morning Stoner struck me the other day. The song alternates requiem and lullabye with verse and chorus. Somehow hope is salvaged in the outro. Parts of the album bore me, but I respect and love that it was someone's everything.  
-GWST
Logged
I am older now.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #192 on: May 18, 2005, 07:33:28 pm »

Just got a couple of cds from my brother that are worth mentioning.
Particularly, right now, Seasick Steve and the Level Devils. Guy was a hobo for years. It's just, great blues. Kind of the heavier blues from Tom Waits, as the guy's vocals are pretty rough in the same sort of way.

Darko Rundek is really cool too. It's a Czech poet and band, or something, and is... Very cool.

Also a Man or Astroman album, which is cool as I haven't listened to them in a long time.
Those and the new System of a Down album ('I hope your stepson doesn't eat the giraffe') have been getting a lot of play.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #193 on: May 18, 2005, 11:38:29 pm »

I saw System of a Down on SNL two weeks ago, and thought, this is pretty good.  I'd probably really dig them if I were 14.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #194 on: May 19, 2005, 07:07:37 am »

System of a Down is great if you are too tired to change the stereo from Mr. Bungle's first album to Dead Kennedys. I used to love that band, but their "politics" totally grate on me now. Steal this album? Way to understand information culture, guys.
Logged
I am older now.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Up