Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Making money from art is not vulgar. Art is a commodity. It makes people feel something. It raises the greater sum of human happiness. It increases the gaiety of the nation. It has a value. -John Allison

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16   Go Down

Author Topic: So... what've you been listening to lately?  (Read 34300 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #210 on: June 06, 2005, 10:04:45 pm »

Quote from: "miles"
I think I've mentioned it before, and I think it was in response to andalucia (or someone) mentioning his name, but Serge Gainsbourg's Cannabis Soundtrack is so good.  It's hard to find, but I was able to download it on Soulseek.  I don't think my SO will go for it, but I want this one track off of it played at our wedding.  It's probably better that way, though.  I think the track's title translates as Last Wound or something like that.  


"First wound", actually, but heck yes.  And have you heard L'histoire du Melody Nelson?  It's my fave Gainsbourg.  It's also worth looking for a translation of the lyrics if you don't parlay le francais, the story the album tells is wonderfully bizarre, and lots of usual sleazy Gainsbourgness.

edit: oh, no, nevermind, I forgot that there's a "last wound" track as well.  Both are rad, so you're still right.
Logged
goose means greedy

angryhate

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #211 on: June 07, 2005, 07:18:33 am »

minutemen - double nickels on the dime
lewis black - the white album
lewis black - end of the universe
lewis black - rules of enragement
fikure - market ep
fat day - unf! unf!
fistula/burmese split cd
burmese - men

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #212 on: June 07, 2005, 05:49:56 pm »

You know what makes me so sad? There's an 18-minute song saga that came with the Cat Power DVD, with her singing vocals and M. Ward playing guitar. It's called "Willie Deadwilder," and I am officially in love with it. I have become the sort of person that enjoys 18-minute-long narrative song sagas.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #213 on: June 07, 2005, 07:13:54 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
I seem to be having tremendous difficulty with my lifestyle.



keep on keepin' on, kiddo.

and while i realize just how condescending that could seem, to the point that if i remember back to the halcyon days of my youth my reaction to such a statement would have been a hearty "fuck you" and a long, hard pull on some type of embalming fluid concoction, the important thing is to be able to laugh at it too.

because regardless of whether it's Man, Nature, or Self that you are currently embattled with/against, the important thing to do is to continue to fight, lest not making you stronger it does Indeed kill you.

listen, i'm not trying to be pollyanna cheerful prick here, optimistic people give me ulcers.  i'm just giving you a pep talk akin to the guy at the bar who slurredly states "hey, it could be worse, they could..." and then promptly passes out off his bar stool.

i matriculated some outragsously overly prestigous prick-incubator and graduated from Dick Vitale Community College and i'm doing [cue= visible facial tick] f-f-f-f-ine.

so, to paraphrase the "leader" of a Texas Ufo Death Cult, don't just enjoy that 18 minute alterna chick ballad, enjoy the fuck out of it.


ps- i think she's dreeeeamy too.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #214 on: June 09, 2005, 02:07:54 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
"First wound", actually, but heck yes.  And have you heard L'histoire du Melody Nelson?  It's my fave Gainsbourg.  It's also worth looking for a translation of the lyrics if you don't parlay le francais, the story the album tells is wonderfully bizarre, and lots of usual sleazy Gainsbourgness.

edit: oh, no, nevermind, I forgot that there's a "last wound" track as well.  Both are rad, so you're still right.


I previewed part of L'histoire du Melody Nelson a while back, and really enjoyed what I heard.  One of these days when I have money I'm going to go out and buy like ALL his shit.

Did you, or anyone, see the movie Cannabis?  I think in the US the title is The Mafia Wants Your Blood.  I imagine it isn't wonderful, but I do want to see it.  Getting a copy of it is the hard part.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #215 on: June 09, 2005, 03:28:10 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"

keep on keepin' on, kiddo.


Ha, thanks, man. That's the best inspirational speech I've ever gotten on the internet!
You know, it's kind of sad that after so long, I finally bought Neutral Milk Hotel's "In The Aeroplane Over The Sea," but I did, and it is awesome. I'm also pumped because I tabbed out "King of Carrot Flowers, Pt. 1".

F7! Bb6! F7! Bb6! C! Bb6!
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #216 on: June 09, 2005, 07:41:43 pm »

New Cat Empire album! Recorded at Estudio Egrem.
Definitely going to try and see them at the Fringe again this year.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

angryhate

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #217 on: June 13, 2005, 08:44:37 am »

melt banana - charlie
melt banana - teeny shiny
autopsy - severed survival
sam black church - let in life
pharcyde - bizarre ride ii the pharcyde
dave attell - skanks for the memories
acid king - iii

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #218 on: June 17, 2005, 04:11:40 pm »

He's meek.  He's a master of ceremonies.  He's doing a bad Woody Allen impression.

MC Meek's barely legal MP3



_________________________
Freedom.
Logged

old kentucky shark

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 30
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #219 on: June 19, 2005, 05:03:46 am »

I have been listening to records made by Stereolab.

They are so good.
Logged

angryhate

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #220 on: June 19, 2005, 01:43:55 pm »

napalm death - from enslavement to obliteration
napalm death - scum
a tribe called quest - low end theory

V-Adore

  • Guest
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #221 on: June 19, 2005, 05:52:36 pm »

Just got done listening to Wolf Parade's self-titled six-song EP. It's not a perfect work -- they remind me of early R.E.M. in that the vocals are being mixed towards the back, but unlike early R.E.M. this is generally a weakness, since their lyrics are consistently interesting. They sound a bit rough yet, which I guess is understandable for a very young band, and I definitely like their use of weird sounds to complement the guitar and drums. Nothing sucks, and "Dear Sons and Daughters of Hungry Ghosts" is basically like treasure, so I am happy to own this.
Logged

old kentucky shark

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 30
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #222 on: June 19, 2005, 10:21:26 pm »

I really like Grounds for Divorce and its constituent notes
Logged

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #223 on: June 20, 2005, 05:35:33 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
"Dear Sons and Daughters of Hungry Ghosts" is basically like treasure


Ahh yeah, that's a rather nice song.  good on ya for linking that.. I had been hearing about that band for awhile now, but wasn't sure if I should download anything.

Reminds me I meant to link something from insound's mp3s on my lj and forgot.  now I may just link that one, too :D

[The song I am going to link: The National - All The Wine]

---

Also, I'm listening to the Animal Collective EP 'Prospect Hummer' a lot lately.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #224 on: June 21, 2005, 05:45:29 am »

I went to Austin for the first time this weekend, because I had heard it had good stores. First stop was Waterloo records. I always kick myself for not writing down what I want to buy before entering a music store. It's easy to get distracted in those places. For Waterloo, I would have needed a list written out, a recorded list playing through headphones, and reminder microfiche glued to my eyes. The place totally consumed me in indie vinyl. And then, is that another room filled with just cds OH SHIIIT!

 I recovered an Orthrelm 5", barely. My belt-drive player keeps resetting when I try and spin the record. I'm going to try one of those players with the weighted arms.
Logged
I am older now.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16   Go Up